website statistics

Speed Skating 2019 - 2020 Discussion Thread

heywoodu

• 5 weeks later...

Karolína Erbanová the Czech 500m PC 2018 Bronze medalist who suddenly decided to finish her career last winter is now the new coach of the Juniors Ice Hockey team in Vrchlabí :CZE which is playing the local 2nd division https://www.hcvrchlabi.cz/clanek.asp?id=Na-slovicko-s-Karolinou-Erbanovou--3711

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Hm, mixed relay have planned at the last World Cup stage... And in this season will be new competition: 4 continents championships

Like so many sports, speed skating really doesn't need a mixed relay. Or in this case it doesn't even need a relay at all. There's already the team pursuit and the bullshit team sprint.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Tomorrow the three day World Cup qualifying tournament for the Dutch skaters starts. Generally that's an excellent moment for seriously strong times, since it's really important, and the expected air pressure is very promising as well in terms of times :cheer: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

The US had their team trials recently, but I’m not that hopeful. The times were rather sluggish. I know it’s early season, but Skating and Biathlon are our weakest winter sports right now.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

The US had their team trials recently, but I’m not that hopeful. The times were rather sluggish. I know it’s early season, but Skating and Biathlon are our weakest winter sports right now.

Someone is badly forgetting Nordic combined and ski jumping :p 

USA isn't a biathlon power, but they are significantly better at it than both ski jumping and NoKo. Same goes for speed skating by the way, although it's far from the days of Chad Hedrick (ugh), Shani Davis (miss him) and Joey Cheek. Still, there's people like Brittany Bowe and Heather Bergsma, they might not dominate, they are definitely world class.

Edited by heywoodu