website statistics

Biathlon 2019 - 2020 Discussion Thread

RobtheAggie

12 minutes ago, Blue Swede said:

Well;I did find todays competition as exciting as any other distance..and then some.

The distance biathlon competition ain´t broken.Only a fool would try to fix something like this.

I don´t want any more sprints or any more mass starts.Actually,if one cannot follow a competition like distance biathlon then it´s the personal IQ that needs fixing me thinks.

Absolutely: it’s slow to start but once it gets going you get decisive moments every two-three minutes.  As we saw today even starter number 100 could have won.

18 minutes ago, SalamAkhi said:

Individual truly is the best format :yes

And the most unique by far.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

All of this discussion about the individual has got me thinking about what other races, and locations.  So, first thought, what about a 30 skier handicapped race on the IBU Cup.  Just the pursuit, but in reverse order.

Also, with the growing flight shaming movement in Europe, see the recent criticism that UEFA has gotten with the way the Euros are set up, could we see a reduction in the geographic footprint of the venues chosen?  Just a question for discussion.

3 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

All of this discussion about the individual has got me thinking about what other races, and locations.  So, first thought, what about a 30 skier handicapped race on the IBU Cup.  Just the pursuit, but in reverse order.

Also, with the growing flight shaming movement in Europe, see the recent criticism that UEFA has gotten with the way the Euros are set up, could we see a reduction in the geographic footprint of the venues chosen?  Just a question for discussion.

The UEFA Euro hosted in multiple cities will be a one-off. Several countries dislike that idea. It was Michel Platini's brainchild and he's lost all credibility now. Soccer is popular enough to sustain future Euros in one or two countries instead of 16 cities.

IBU is obviously independent to FIS so they can call their own shots and the ex-USSR market is being explored again. Estonia, Belarus and Latvia have build biathlon venues. Not to mention Poland has invested in Duszniki too. There are actually more venues being build all over Europe now so I see no chance the number goes down. Kontiolathi might fall off the calendar once Makarainen retires but that is all IMO.

So the IBU has now stated that they did not ask the Italian Police to raid Loginov's hotel room.  In a survey by sports.ru  60% of those surveyed think that Loginov will retire at the end of the season.

Edited by RobtheAggie

• 2 weeks later...