website statistics

Biathlon 2019 - 2020 Discussion Thread

RobtheAggie

Dnia 21.10.2019 o 11:41, RobtheAggie napisał:

And another former Russian biathlete is changing the national affiliation.  Ekaterina Avvakumova, who previously changed her nationality to Korean, think Timothy Lapshin prior to the 2018 Olympics, has changed to Serbia

Ekaterina Avvakumova also became a representative of ... Serbia.

16 minutes ago, TomJa said:

Ekaterina Avvakumova also became a representative of ... Serbia.

Isn't that exactly what he said? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Some more info about Target 26 has been published.  It does appear that there will be some structural changes, as well as extended reach of the IBU.  I know we have joked about an official third tier of races, some more regional for example in East and Central Asia.  This might be where this comes in.  

Also it appears that there will be a greater emphasis on youth development and possible funding from the IBU to national organizations to help develop the sport.

14 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Some more info about Target 26 has been published.  It does appear that there will be some structural changes, as well as extended reach of the IBU.  I know we have joked about an official third tier of races, some more regional for example in East and Central Asia.  This might be where this comes in.  

Also it appears that there will be a greater emphasis on youth development and possible funding from the IBU to national organizations to help develop the sport.

When have we joked about a third tier? I'd be in favour of it, if it's mostly continental, that's no joke.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Pretty good editorial about the changes at the IBU.  I am not saying I agree with everything, but the author does put some good points out.

Like what? To me it reads mostly like "IBU has a new leadership, they are changing things and things are still changing, as they should", period. Without anything specific that's not going well or something :p 

I also agree that more specifics would be great.  I have even reached out to the USBA to see if they could send me a copy of the 400 page document to try and get some more specifics.  My point about the editorial was more that at least there is an acknowledgement that changes were needed, and there seems to be some in the works.  

The 12 year maximum term is a good idea, I think a tad too long, but still a good idea.

The creation of the Biathlon Integrity Unit is another step in the right direction.

Two procedural changes with the IBU.  They have finally joined the CAS anti-doping division.  I did not know that they had not done so.  Also, Para Biathlon will either need to join IBU or create their own organization.

Do not forget to do the IBU Fan Survey.

Edited by RobtheAggie