website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing 2019 - 2020 Discussion Thread

heywoodu

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The first lost pair is considered lost and she's been waiting for a replacement pair for 8 months now. The second lost pair is something she just got to know a week or so ago when arriving in Argentina and so being 'reunited' with her snow equipment. 

Races start tomorrow, so there's not gonna be enough time for new skis to be sent (and even if there was, I've got a feeling any attempt to get that done is gonna result in 'Nah this is fine' and a whole ton of nonsense arguments as answer). To illustrate: she's been competing on old, broken boots for years now because she's simply refused now ones even though national federation contracts and documents simply state she has the right to get new ones. Same thing for other kinds of equipment.

It is so badly time to get the hell out of there and try and train in another country. Maybe some national-level (so not World Cup-level of course) program in Germany or whatever. Overcoming years of frustration and unfair treatment and ending up at the 2022 Olympics would be worth a gold medal on it's own right.

Has she tried finding equipment sponsors? Or does the Brazilian federation not allow that. She could also go the Go Fund Me route. I’ve been looking for athletes to help, but I just don’t have the funds for that now. I hope when I finish college, to lay out a small savings account for helping athletes and kids in countries with sports without support to get equipment, coaches, national attention, etc.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Has she tried finding equipment sponsors? Or does the Brazilian federation not allow that. She could also go the Go Fund Me route. I’ve been looking for athletes to help, but I just don’t have the funds for that now. I hope when I finish college, to lay out a small savings account for helping athletes and kids in countries with sports without support to get equipment, coaches, national attention, etc.

This is something we've been looking at, but it's a little hard to get started (and there's a fear of not reaching enough people and ending up with like €50, which would be the opposite of motivating).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

This is something we've been looking at, but it's a little hard to get started (and there's a fear of not reaching enough people and ending up with like €50, which would be the opposite of motivating).

Well I could make sure she gets to €51 :p. That could be the first order of business for the Totallympics Biathlon Club. We could fund the Brazilian biathletes :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well I could make sure she gets to €51 :p. That could be the first order of business for the Totallympics Biathlon Club. We could fund the Brazilian biathletes :p

Sadly (probably) it'll mostly be cross-country skiing until the Olympics :p But yeah, it'd be awesome to get something off the ground for her (not really for the male ones, they pretty much get everything :whistle:  Which I don't blame them for, the ones I know are nice and friendly guys, but it's kinda frustrating to see the unfair treatment again and again and again)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Sadly (probably) it'll mostly be cross-country skiing until the Olympics :p But yeah, it'd be awesome to get something off the ground for her (not really for the male ones, they pretty much get everything :whistle:  Which I don't blame them for, the ones I know are nice and friendly guys, but it's kinda frustrating to see the unfair treatment again and again and again)

Well should she ever want some financial support, I could help spread the word and maybe donate a bit.

52 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well should she ever want some financial support, I could help spread the word and maybe donate a bit.

Be sure I'll post it here when we find a way to get a crowdfunding campaign off the ground :d 

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Be sure I'll post it here when we find a way to get a crowdfunding campaign off the ground :d 

I’d recommend having her start a small blog. That’s what a lot of successfully self-funded American athletes have done. She could explain the uses and importance of the funding, as well as paint a good picture of herself (she could present herself in a positive way). You could also maybe write something as to why you personally look her so much (that would get the old people to donate). Then you try to have the IBU write a short article about her so the greater Biathlon community knows her struggle and can help. 

Four nations will compete in the sprint races today in Ushuaia, which is officially the Brazilian national championships.

Spoiler

lBDg4QA.png

LnE5gS5.png

KBG9Hr0.png

Not bad (but frustrating) considering the skis felt as if there was dog shit under them instead of wax (because someone who was supposed to do so didn't take care of them, at all, for half a year).

rKSYc0E.jpg

Now it's hoping for a bit of good old destruction in the final. 'Mit Wut im Bauch', I'm sure @EselTheDonkey would understand :p

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Not bad (but frustrating) considering the skis felt as if there was dog shit under them instead of wax (because someone who was supposed to do so didn't take care of them, at all, for half a year).

How much a fresh pair costs?

#banbestmen