website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing 2019 - 2020 Discussion Thread

heywoodu

Final is coming up now :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

And another FIS victory for Totallympics :cheer: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Ebba Anderson is likely out the rest of the year due to a knee injury. :( This was confirmed by the national team doctor, Magnus Oscarsson, today. 

It was during a training run at the national team camp in Bruksvallarna that Andersson fell and hit the knee where she has previously sustained an injury. 

Edited by Wumo

1 hour ago, Wumo said:

Ebba Anderson is likely out the rest of the year due to a knee injury. :( This was confirmed by the national team doctor, Magnus Oscarsson, today. 

It was during a training run at the national team camp in Bruksvallarna that Andersson fell and hit the knee where she has previously sustained an injury. 

Is that the calendar year or the season?

Just now, heywoodu said:

Is that the calendar year or the season?

Only to the end of 2019, not the whole season. However, the Swedish camp says she will not start in Tour de Ski. They will not force anything, so maybe she will first be back in the end of January or February. 

There was a press conference today in Norway. It was expected to be mainly about the team selection for this week's competitons in Beitostolen and next week's WC in Ruka. 

However, Ingvild Flugstad Oestberg held a press conference on her own announcing she would not ski this week or the next. 

https://www.nrk.no/sport/flugstad-ostberg-trekker-seg-fra-langrennsapningen-1.14790125

She said:

- It so happens that I've ended up in a situation where I can't ski. It is very unfortunate that it has become so. Not all health requirements in the health certificate were met. This means that the best thing for me right now is to not ski. I have chosen to train a lot in the recent months. There is a risk of exercising too much and now my body needs time to recover, said Oestberg with a lump in her throat.

The Norwegian athletes must regularly undergo a health check before competitions and a health certificate will be completed together with the national team doctor. Among many things, the athletes must answer questions about diet and thoughts on dieting. They are also measured and weighed, as well as hemoglobin levels, blood pressure and heart rate are measured. 

"... I haven't been good enough to take care of myself... I hope I can be back pretty quickly and get my body back on track", says Oestberg.

Oestberg was clearly emotionally affected during the press conference over her situation. At one point she began to cry. Oestberg repeatedly explained that she did not want to go into detail, since she considered it a little too private.

The coaches and national team doctor would not go into any more details other than Oestberg had not lived up to some of the health requirements and therefore wasn't fit to compete. 

National team doctor, Oystein Andersen, said:

- As Ingvild says, It's due to health reasons. These skiers are followed very closely throughout the year and we first and foremost focus on the health of the athletes. It's our mantra. 

Some journalist asked the coaches and national team doctor if her weight was a concern. They would not go into many details but said it could be an issue for some elite athlete to eat enough when they train a lot. However, all clearly stated that Oestberg did not have an eating disorder.

Quite clear that something is going on behind the scenes there..

Fun little interview with a Greek skier that someone posted on Reddit: https://olympichopeful.com/maria-ntanou-olympic-xc-skier-from-greece/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf. Maybe a certain @brunamoura knows this athlete?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 horas atrás, Olympian1010 disse:

Fun little interview with a Greek skier that someone posted on Reddit: https://olympichopeful.com/maria-ntanou-olympic-xc-skier-from-greece/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf. Maybe a certain @brunamoura knows this athlete?

Nice interview!

"Advise that you have for someone starting out xc skiing?
Push more when it starts getting hard."

I like this part ???

I don't know her, but I believe another brazilian does (Mika - Mirlene Picin)

*Photo from when we could recognize a brazilian athlete by his/her clothes ?

20191125_115533.jpg