website statistics

Women's Water Polo Tournament at the Aquatics FINA World Championships 2019

Totallympics

1 hour ago, VolleyRuller96 said:

Honestly, I think it's fair that they want to include teams from all the continents (and if I remember correctly this is a requirement for Olympic Sports :mumble:). They want to promote the sport, and  since all other sports are increasing the number of teams at major competitions (there's going to be 24 teams at EuroVolley, 32 teams in the next Handball World Cup, 32  teams in the Basketball World Cup later this year)  they could lose fans to other disciplines.

But they should really distribute the quotas better or even change the format completely. I mean, as a person who doesn't know anything about this sport, but is remotely interested in the results of big events in most disciplines, a score of 33-0 in a World Championship game doesn't convince me to start following this sport regularly :d. Perhaps a division system, like in Ice Hockey would work better? Say 12 teams in Group 1, 12 teams in Group 2 etc.

Yeah, I agree with hockey system, but not the divisions but women's groups - A with top 8 countries and B with lower 8 countries - TOP 4 from A goes to QF, next 4 plays with top 4 from B for the remaining four places in QF, last four from B plays for 13-16.

32 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

Yeah, I agree with hockey system, but not the divisions but women's groups - A with top 8 countries and B with lower 8 countries - TOP 4 from A goes to QF, next 4 plays with top 4 from B for the remaining four places in QF, last four from B plays for 13-16.

A couple of top teams would be in group B so that wouldn't change much in terms of very large scores...

17 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

A couple of top teams would be in group B so that wouldn't change much in terms of very large scores... 

Pretty much, I usually consider there to be 10 top teams (the six European teams here, Australia, Canada, China and USA) with Japan possibly closing the gap among the lower ranked teams thanks to the Olympics. At least two of them plus Japan would be in the second group and we'd see 20+ goal victories against South Africa and who knows what against South Korea.

I wonder if South Korea is the best team from Asia, what happens at the Asia Championships? Do Korea defeat Pakistan by 30-40 goals? If it's true, what would happen in a Hungary-Pakistan Match? The same goes to South Africa's situation. They are always at the World Championships, because they are the best African team. But this must mean they are way better than Cameroon or Togo. How low can you get in levels?

I simply don't believe you cannot find 6 players in a whole country who can play a game well. If there is 1 club, then you can field a national team. 

29 minutes ago, Pifta said:

I wonder if South Korea is the best team from Asia, what happens at the Asia Championships? Do Korea defeat Pakistan by 30-40 goals? If it's true, what would happen in a Hungary-Pakistan Match? The same goes to South Africa's situation. They are always at the World Championships, because they are the best African team. But this must mean they are way better than Cameroon or Togo. How low can you get in levels?

I simply don't believe you cannot find 6 players in a whole country who can play a game well. If there is 1 club, then you can field a national team. 

you should read posts above about how this Korean team is formed , they are not waterpolo players and they are only here as host.

and Pakistan don't have a women's water polo team (I wonder if they even have a men's team)

I read all comments before. I said Pakistan as an example, I could have said Uzbegistan. The other half stays true, if there is 1 club, they can form a national team. In football or volleyball, every country in the World has a national team, why isn't it true for all olympics sports? Even if all players are amateurs