website statistics

Sailing 2016 Discussion Thread

dcro

40 minutes ago, dcro said:

Our women's 49er FX crew will have a very difficult task, even though they showed a big improvement at the last year's World Championships. I have also already assumed that African quota would be reallocated to Ireland, what would make our qualification a bit easier, but looks like Algeria denied that.

On the other hand, it will be a huge dissapointment if we don't qualify in men's RS:X. It's too easy, 2 quotas for only 7 nations (and that includes Latvia, Slovakia and Turkey). And I also expected that we would qualify in men's RS:X before this regatta...

Do you know which country will receive the men's 49er reallocated spot from Oceania?

2 hours ago, dcro said:

Don't be so disrespectful towards Slovak sailors. You had a sailor at the Olympics as recently as in 2008. :p

yes Patrik Polák, he competed 2 times at olympics, 2004 and 2008, btw he was also few years ago world champion in non olympic raceboard:d but he is a exception.

Because Algeria is most unlikely to compete in the 49er and 49erFX, I assumed that the unused African quota would be distributed to Belgium and Ireland. I just also heard that a NZ might deny a slot in men's RS:X, since JP Tobin has decided to quit his Rio campaign, citing lack of funding support from Yachting NZ. 

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=222875

Looks like we celebrated those Algerian quotas too early. Algeria seemingly pulled out of this regatta, in all classes.

Since we don't have any African nations in women's 470, men's 49er and women's 49er FX, those quotas will be reallocated to the next best nations from 2015 Worlds. Switzerland in women's 470, Belgium in men's 49er and Ireland in women's 49er FX.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

• 2 weeks later...

Tunisia didn't compete in Nacra 17 today. They had DNC in all of the races. So, I wonder, will they be still qualified even if they have DNC in all races? That seems to be the flaw of sailing competition system, you get your ranking and you get your penalty points even if you don't compete in a single race!

Meanwhile, looks like Julie of Seychelles is dominating Esseghir of Tunisia in Finn. He has around 40 penalties of advantage after two races!

But, something still seems weird here. Apparently, almost half of the field in women's 49er FX had DNC in the first race (and that includes our contenders for Olympic qualification Ninčević/Dujmović!! :facepalm:).

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

45 minutes ago, dcro said:

Tunisia didn't compete in Nacra 17 today. They had DNC in all of the races. So, I wonder, will they be still qualified even if they have DNC in all races? That seems to be the flaw of sailing competition system, you get your ranking and you get your penalty points even if you don't compete in a single race!

Meanwhile, looks like Julie of Seychelles is dominating Esseghir of Tunisia in Finn. He has around 40 penalties of advantage after two races!

But, something still seems weird here. Apparently, almost half of the field in women's 49er FX had DNC in the first race (and that includes our contenders for Olympic qualification Ninčević/Dujmović!! :facepalm:).

Same for the second race. If that is correct then I am afraid it means bye rio for our ladies.

It looks better in RSX. Is Belarus actually already qualified or not?

8 minutes ago, prso1000 said:

Same for the second race. If that is correct then I am afraid it means bye rio for our ladies.

It looks better in RSX. Is Belarus actually already qualified or not?

Officially they are not qualified, but unofficially they should be. Anyway, even if they are not, the things are looking good there. Czech sailor probably outdone himself on day 1... We also have Fantela who is a very good "back-up".

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, dcro said:

can you post results link for Princess Sophia, please?