website statistics

Sailing 2016 Discussion Thread

dcro

Entry list for final qualification events (European, African and Asian regattas) are out

Europe and Africa http://www.trofeoprincesasofia.org/en/default/races/race-inscriptions

Asia http://www.ac2016.asiansailing.org/index.php/competitor-information/who-is-registered

So, who is the biggest hero of this? It's Algeria. :d They have very wisely used the fact that ISAF has introduced continental Olympic quotas for the first time and the fact that some sailing classes are completly non-existent in Africa. They are the only African nation in women's 470, men's 49er,  women's 49er FX and mixed Nacra 17, so they are guaranteed all of those quotas! They will compete in 7 out of 10 classes in Rio (11 sailors in total). To put it in the perspective, Algeria has never qualified a single sailor for the Olympics before. :lol:

#banbestmen

In previous week were World Championships in RS:X and two gold medal in men's and women's event are for Polish sailors (Piotr Myszka and Małgorzata Białecka) :clap: Both of them are chosen to Olympic team as well :)

Just now, dareza said:

but how again WC? It was in october or november 2015? I think that WC in Olympic year is not necessarily ( only in sport where is ranking important is ok)

Yeah, I know it's silly, but in sailing World Championships are every year (even in Olympic years)!

#banbestmen

Just now, dareza said:

but how again WC? It was in october or november 2015? I think that WC in Olympic year is not necessarily ( only in sport where is ranking important is ok)

In 2015 was World championships for all classes, in the same date and place, such championships are held only once by 4, in pre-olympic year, I think. In all other years are separate world championships in each class.

Just now, dcro said:

Yeah, I know it's silly, but in sailing World Championships are every year (even in Olympic years)!

and there is also world cup this year and European championship? Really hard season this will be for sailors then.

Just now, dareza said:

and there is also world cup this year and European championship? Really hard season this will be for sailors then.

Yes, they like to have it all annualy, except Olympics of course. :d

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

Yes, they like to have it all annualy, except Olympics of course. :d

in canoeing and rowing is the same,but there is no world championship in Olympic year. Really too much competitons,they have to be very smart.

The danish 49er with Jonas Warrer and Anders Thomsen which was set to go to the Olympics has broken up.

Instead Jonas Warrer will be trying with a collaboration with Christian Peter Lübeck who was a part of the Nacra 17 ending up in 2nd place in the national qualification.

This makes the danish participation in the class in Rio uncertain, as the national federation will not send a boat if it isn't decently competitive.