website statistics

Athletics EAA Under 23 European Championships 2019

Totallympics

Wow Anna Emelie Moller looks like one of the most talented athletes in the tournament, what a performance again!

Looks like the Dutch won three medals. 2 bronze (100M men & 10.000M women) and 1 silver (400M hurdles men). Not sure if I missed something.

Was hoping for a medal in the Decathlon too, but 4th, 6th and 13th is nothing to be ashamed of.

21 medals and 9 golds is a great result for Germany. The last time that a nation won more medals at european U23 championships was 2009 when Russia won 25 medals. In terms of golds this is the best result ever for Germany and in terms of total medals only 1999 (25 medals) and 2005 (26 medals) were better. Also with a bit more luck (in men's 100 m, women's 400 m, women's 3000 m SC and women's long jump) and if all the best german athletes would have competed, Germany could have won up to 12 golds and 30 medals. I fear that the U20 european championships next week won't even be remotely as successful for Germany.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

On 14/07/2019 at 20:13, Jinzha said:

Wow Anna Emelie Moller looks like one of the most talented athletes in the tournament, what a performance again!

Looks like the Dutch won three medals. 2 bronze (100M men & 10.000M women) and 1 silver (400M hurdles men). Not sure if I missed something.

Was hoping for a medal in the Decathlon too, but 4th, 6th and 13th is nothing to be ashamed of.

You should do much better at the U20 european championships, i think you will win at least 3 gold medals there and will probably finish ahead of Germany in the medal table.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

44 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

You should do much better at the U20 european championships, i think you will win at least 3 gold medals there and will probably finish ahead of Germany in the medal table.

Yeah I'm looking forward to the U20s! There's some amazing talents in that squad, most notably Zoe Sedney, Nketia Seedo and Femke Bol on the track. I'm always slightly less familiar with the field events, but Alida van Daalen and Jorinde van Linden are apparently really good in the throwing events.

Any German talents I should keep my eyes on in the U20 tournament?

54 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

Yeah I'm looking forward to the U20s! There's some amazing talents in that squad, most notably Zoe Sedney, Nketia Seedo and Femke Bol on the track. I'm always slightly less familiar with the field events, but Alida van Daalen and Jorinde van Linden are apparently really good in the throwing events.

Any German talents I should keep my eyes on in the U20 tournament?

I had mainly Van Klinken and Bol in mind. Seedo shouldn't fight for a medal unless she drops a lot of time. Which events are Sedney and van Daalen entered in?

At this stage it is hard to predict who has the best chances to be successful at senior level, but i would say from a german perspective the most promising talent is Leni Wildgrube in women's pole vault. Other interesting talents are Marie Scheppan (women's 400 m), Talea Prepens (women's 100 m), Lucie Kienast (women's long jump & heptathlon), Samantha Borutta (women's hammer throw), Stefan Volzer (men's 110 m hurdles), Leo Neugebauer (men's decathlon) and Malik Diakite (men's decathlon). Sadly some of the most promising talents will compete at the EYOF instead.

20 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I had mainly Van Klinken and Bol in mind. Seedo shouldn't fight for a medal unless she drops a lot of time. Which events are Sedney and van Daalen entered in?

At this stage it is hard to predict who has the best chances to be successful at senior level, but i would say from a german perspective the most promising talent is Leni Wildgrube in women's pole vault. Other interesting talents are Marie Scheppan (women's 400 m), Talea Prepens (women's 100 m), Lucie Kienast (women's long jump & heptathlon), Samantha Borutta (women's hammer throw), Stefan Volzer (men's 110 m hurdles), Leo Neugebauer (men's decathlon) and Malik Diakite (men's decathlon). Sadly some of the most promising talents will compete at the EYOF instead.

Sedney is the younger sister of Dutch sprinter Naomi Sedney. She runs the 200M and 100M Hurdles. She won gold and silver respectively in these events at the U18 Euros in Gyor last year.

Van Daalen is the daughter of Dutch discus veteran Jacqueline Goormachtigh, who was national champion for 10 years. She won bronze in shot put and silver in discus throwing in Gyor last year.

Both are probably too young to be serious medal candidates this week, but they're amazing talents for the future. Dutch broadcaster VPRO features both in a documentary series they're shooting called 'De Beloften', which roughly translates to 'The promised ones' or just 'The talents'.

Edit: just noticed there's a new thread for the U20 tournament, so I'll migrate to that thread :P

Edited by Jinzha