website statistics

Swimming at the Aquatics FINA World Championships 2019

vinipereira

Ledecky (and others) opt out of the 200!

Rumors I've read...

a) that she's sick.

b) that she's been sick all week.

c) that she may withdraw from the 1500 later too...

Edited by LDOG

2 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Ledecky (and others) opt out of the 200!

Rumors I've read...

a) that she's sick.

b) that she's been sick all week.

c) that she may withdraw from the 1500 later too...

According to her coaches she is in fact sick, and has been since arriving in Korea.  1500m up in the air.

Disappointed about Ruck in the 200.  I guess she's focusing on the 100m back tonight and the relays (as well as 100m later on).  Too bad, she was a real medal threat in this event, especially considering the other withdrawals.  Maybe the coaches are smelling a gold in the medley relay and want to make sure Ruck is rested enough.  Maybe they found a breaststroker somewhere in the Boreal forest.  :d

Edit to say: At least Oleksiak moved on, and she's looking good.  

Edited by orangeman

Shame about Ruck, 200m freestyle had medal potential for her. I imagine she'll be dropping the 50m freestyle too since that's her weakest individual event. She could have potentially featured in 10 events and to be honest that's a lot for one swimmer, she'll likely only compete in the finals for most relays too. She could miss the mixed freestyle relay if she makes the 200m backstroke final since they are on the same session.

12 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Shame about Ruck, 200m freestyle had medal potential for her. I imagine she'll be dropping the 50m freestyle too since that's her weakest individual event. She could have potentially featured in 10 events and to be honest that's a lot for one swimmer, she'll likely only compete in the finals for most relays too. She could miss the mixed freestyle relay if she makes the 200m backstroke final since they are on the same session.

She isn't entered for the 50m free.  I think she was only entered in the 100 and 200 free and back.  And then the 5 relays, one assumes.  You're right though, the mixed free relay would probably go if she's in the 200 back final since it's Canada's weakest shot at a medal and isn't an Olympic event.  

Edited by orangeman