website statistics

Swimming at the Aquatics FINA World Championships 2019

vinipereira

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

No 7th consecutive medal for the Dutch team, as expected. And it's not gonna get any better anytime soon.

At least you guys are not alone, i don't see any european nation winning a relay medal on the women's side here. Of course it doesn't help that Steenbergen (so far) didn't develop into the star most people expected her to be.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

This has all the feels of Australia peaking completely wrong and failing at the Olympics :p 

Hah judging by past Olys you're right. But judging by previous WC's they're on the right track at least lol.

3 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Get what? A medal?

Yeah, she's getting better and better every year:

2017 WCh: 4:05.75 (6th)

2018 ECh: 4:03.57 (2nd)

2019 WCh: 4:01.31 (4th)

I wouldn't be surprised if she goes under 4:00 at the Olympics, which should be enough for a medal. I doubt that she can beat Ledecky and Titmus, unless some miracle happens. 

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

This has all the feels of Australia peaking completely wrong and failing at the Olympics :p 

I don't think so, because they did make some changes recently. For example their trials will now be held 5 weeks before the championships, and not months / years ahead. :p

#banbestmen

10 minutes ago, orangeman said:

Oleksiak is rounding back into form and Ruck is only getting better.  Watch out for Canada in Tokyo.  

Sure ... if i remember correctly Oleksiak hasn't improved since 2016 (when she was 16 years old), i don't see why that should change. In most other sports you would be almost certain that a 16 year old can only get better, but not in swimming. Ye Shiwen and Missy Franklin both peaked in 2012 at the age of 16/17.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Brazil's 3:11.99 would have been enough for a bronze medal (tied with Hungary) last year in the last edition of the championships (2017). The fact that they finished only 6th now is a wake up call to our federation, since everyone though this medal was won even before the race started. 

Edited by thiago_simoes