website statistics

Fencing FIE World Championships 2019

phelps

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

For me the foil change decision with 6 secs. left was done in bad faith too so there is that. I blame EDF for trying to play the mind games while she's not some scrub who found herself in being afraid of winning situation. And she didn't have some rookie on the other side whatsoever. Just a very weak decision all around when it was Deriglazova in must attack mode. If EDF didn't trust her own skill to survive the final six seconds then she didn't deserve to win it.

I'm no rules expert to say whether the second YC was for blocking the target area so I'm not gonna comment on that even if that was the reason behind the penalty. I'm disappointed in EDF's behaviour in general.

but that's a perfectly legal move...you just have to ask permission to the ref and once he/she agrees, you can change your weapon as many times as many reserve weapons you have in your bag (because the ref keeps the weapons changed by the fencers and give them back only at the end of the match just to avoid people trying too many of those tricks)...

just look at how many times Ivanova changed her foil against Volpi when she was struggling...

it's a perfectly normal way to gain a few seconds...sometimes it's a tactical move, sometimes just because you need a deep breathe when you're really tired...

you won't find any fencer complaining for that...never...there are a lot of different things that could irritate a fencer (asking always for the video replay even when you don't have anymore, for instance), but not asking to change the weapon...;)

5 minutes ago, phelps said:

but that's a perfectly legal move...you just have to ask permission to the ref and once he/she agrees, you can change your weapon as many times as many reserve weapons you have in your bag (because the ref keeps the weapons changed by the fencers and give them back only at the end of the match just to avoid people trying too many of those tricks)...

just look at how many times Ivanova changed her foil against Volpi when she was struggling...

it's a perfectly normal way to gain a few seconds...sometimes it's a tactical move, sometimes just because you need a deep breathe when you're really tired...

you won't find any fencer complaining for that...never...there are a lot of different things that could irritate a fencer (asking always for the video replay even when you don't have anymore, for instance), but not asking to change the weapon...;)

I'm not saying this was illegal. It was somewhat against the spirit of the sport though. When two Olympic champions face off for what is effectively the last hit I expect better than a foil change. Ivanova vs Volpi was a different case, Volpi was the clear favorite so obviously Ivanova couldn't quite match her and the situation got into her head. If Deriglazova got into EDF's head that's a really bad look considering EDF's overall status.

women's team Sabre, Quarterfinals

:FRA France b. :UKR Ukraine  45-34

:KOR South Korea b. :USA United States  45-39

:ITA Italy b. :HUN Hungary  45-38

:RUS Russia b. :CHN China  45-28

women's team Sabre, Semifinals

:FRA France vs :KOR South Korea

:ITA Italy vs :RUS Russia

men's team Foil, Quarterfinals

:USA United States b. :CHN China  45-30

:RUS Russia b. :KOR South Korea  45-28

:FRA France b. :GER Germany  45-24