website statistics

Fencing FIE World Championships 2019

phelps

40 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Isn't this result good for you? Italy, unlike Spain, has already won a medal, so why don't you cheer for Spain? :d

I didn't watch the match, so i can't say whether her behavior was "appropriate" or not, but maybe she was ill or injured? I think the italian girls deserve the benefit of the doubt considering all the medals they have won in recent years. Maybe she is already preparing for Tokyo and didn't completely focus on this event. I think for someone like her one more world title doesn't do much.

because I'm Italian...:p

and Volpi isn't ill nor injured nor focused on Tokyo (she isn't even sure to be in the team by 12 months)...simply, today she wasn't focused enough in her match against Diaz and she hasn't been able to react to the problems the Spaniard gave her and change her attitude through the entire assault, which it's not to be expected from the reigning world champion...

52 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Do you have any data that suggests that the situation is different when we look at top 8 instead of only medallists?

Also 1999 was 19 years ago ... not quite 20 years but still a completely different era.

Not really sure we are watching the same events, but i haven't noticed any clean sweeps by China in diving ... :d

I just looked at the past 10 years, but in 2009 10 nations won medals in diving (in 10 events), while in the same year 14 nations won medals in fencing (in 12 events). In 2017 13 nations won medals in diving (in 13 events), while 14 nations won medals in fencing (in 12 events). So in 2009 we had 1 nation/event in diving (10 nations in 10 events) and 1.167 nations/event in fencing, in 2017 we had 1 nation/event in diving (13 nations in 13 events) and 1.167 nations/event in fencing, so in neither sport the nation/event ratio changed and in fencing the ratio was only slightly "better" with 1.167 compared to 1.000. At the moment it looks as if this time more nations will win medals in fencing while less nations will win medals in diving, but first we should wait till the end of the world championships and even if this proves to be true, it will only be one edition, so not enough to consider it a trend (for now) in my opinion.

you should have definitely taken a bye on this one...

just to update your infos...

http://www.omegatiming.com/2019/18th-fina-world-championships-dv-live-results

Edited by phelps

2 minutes ago, phelps said:

you should have definitely taken a bye on this one...

just to update your infos...

http://www.omegatiming.com/2019/18th-fina-world-championships-dv-live-results

I think it was a misunderstanding. For me: Clean sweep = all 3 medals (which obviously isn't possible, because China only has 2 athletes in each event, hence the :d), but apparently you meant: Clean sweep = winning all gold medals. I think technically i am still right, because we don't know all the gold medallists yet? Also China already won all gold medals a couple of years ago, so this isn't something new.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

men's individual Epee quarterfinals

:FRA Yannick Borel vs :ITA Andrea Santarelli

:HUN Gergely Siklosi vs :NED Bas Verwijlen

:UKR Igor Reizlin vs :KAZ Ruslan Kurbanov

:JPN Koki Kano vs :RUS Sergey Bida

and now, ladies & gentlemen, some magic...

did we have fewer Nations than expected in the top 16?

sure, we did...but somehow, now we have 8 different Nations in the top 8 places...et voilà, voici la magie du jour! :lol:

@heywoodu you'd better stop watching yesterday's stuff for a while and @ around 4.40 p.m. go live on Youtube (Yellow piste)...

there's Verwijlen close to the medal zone (unfortunately, he has to face the home hero, who looks quite determined to give the hosts another medal)...;)

1 minute ago, phelps said:

@heywoodu you'd better stop watching yesterday's stuff for a while and @ around 4.40 p.m. go live on Youtube (Yellow piste)...

there's Verwijlen close to the medal zone (unfortunately, he has to face the home hero, who looks quite determined to give the hosts another medal)...;)

That means I still have 45 minutes or so, I can finish yesterday in time I think :d 

Thanks though! In avoiding spoilers I had entirely missed he's already in the semi's (or quarters?).

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!