website statistics

Fencing FIE World Championships 2019

phelps

36 minutes ago, phelps said:

tell me that's just a nightmare...this can't be true...it's just a mistake...it was a fake video, a plot against me...:yikes::facepalm::wall:

p.s. meanwhile in the men's epee, which is supposed to be the most "open" weapon, with the most athletes and Countries with a chance to shine, we have 3 Frenchmen, 3 Japanese, 2 Hungarians, 2 Ukranians, 2 Kazakhs (and 4 others) in the top 16...only 9 Nations in the round of 16...

I've never seen so few Nations represented at this stage of a men's Epee event in the last 20 years or so (and I just wrote that fencing is becoming more and more widely spread at the top level of play)...:rofl::facepalm:

You need to relax ... in the top half Errigo/Palumbo "only" have to beat Kiefer to make the semifinal and there they would be the clear favorite. In the bottom half Di Francisca should half no problem until she meets Deriglazova in the semifinal, so i would say that there is still a good chance for 2 italian medals.

More interestingly: I thought that Ebert was the "real deal", but Guo completely "dwarfs" her. Not really sure she can get past Deriglazova today, but nonetheless we are witnessing something historic today. Canada has a new superstar! :bowdown:

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

36 minutes ago, bestmen said:

MOHAMED Aida  :HUN / :SYR

lost 2017-09-27_18-16-11.jpg

Yeah, she was completely schooled by Ebert. Ebert is a great talent, but this still was a rather "uninspired" performance by Mohamed ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 minute ago, OlympicsFan said:

Not really sure why you think that fencing has "grown", but for example in 1999 we had 15 nations winning at least 1 medal, last year we had 14 nations winning at least 1 medal ...

In my opinion fencing always was a sport where some random athlete from a small nation could win a medal on a good day (like shooting, judo, taekwondo), but i don't really see that as a sign that this is a global sport. At the last 5 regular world championships (2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018) only 13 nations have won team medals (in a total of 30 events), 10 of those nations are from Europe (Germany, Italy, Russia, Switzerland, France, Ukraine, Estonia, Hungary, Poland, Romania), 2 are from Asia (China, South Korea) and 1 is from Northern America (USA) (surprisingly Japan hasn't won a single team medal if my research is correct ... ! :mumble:).

first, you don't have to look only at the medal table, but also at the top 8 (and beyond) and at the total number of Nations qualifying some athletes to the main draw (and in general, at the total number of participants...not only at the world champs, but also at the various world cup stages)...

then, as I wrote, the stint I'm considering it's a bit longer (20 years and more)...

until the Nineties of the last Century, it was almost impossible to find any Nation outside the usual powerhouses in the medal table, nowadays the situation is really different...

on the contrary, we have some sports which are going in the opposite direction...we have always less competitive Nations and 1 of them going for an amazing but unacceptable clean sweep of the events (the first one that comes to my mind is Diving, as we're watching the world champs just this week)...

4 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

You need to relax ... in the top half Errigo/Palumbo "only" have to beat Kiefer to make the semifinal and there they would be the clear favorite. In the bottom half Di Francisca should half no problem until she meets Deriglazova in the semifinal, so i would say that there is still a good chance for 2 italian medals.

More interestingly: I thought that Ebert was the "real deal", but Guo completely "dwarfs" her. Not really sure she can get past Deriglazova today, but nonetheless we are witnessing something historic today. Canada has a new superstar! :bowdown:

c'mon! the no.1 seeded just can't lose a match like that...

it's not me having to relax, it's Volpi who should have been a lot more focused...

she was just irritating in the way she lost (you can always lose...but there are quite a few different ways to do it...Volpi chose one of the worst of them all)......

5 minutes ago, phelps said:

first, you don't have to look only at the medal table, but also at the top 8 (and beyond) and at the total number of Nations qualifying some athletes to the main draw (and in general, at the total number of participants...not only at the world champs, but also at the various world cup stages)...

then, as I wrote, the stint I'm considering it's a bit longer (20 years and more)...

until the Nineties of the last Century, it was almost impossible to find any Nation outside the usual powerhouses in the medal table, nowadays the situation is really different...

on the contrary, we have some sports which are going in the opposite direction...we have always less competitive Nations and 1 of them going for an amazing but unacceptable clean sweep of the events (the first one that comes to my mind is Diving, as we're watching the world champs just this week)...

Do you have any data that suggests that the situation is different when we look at top 8 instead of only medallists?

Also 1999 was 19 years ago ... not quite 20 years but still a completely different era.

Not really sure we are watching the same events, but i haven't noticed any clean sweeps by China in diving ... :d

I just looked at the past 10 years, but in 2009 10 nations won medals in diving (in 10 events), while in the same year 14 nations won medals in fencing (in 12 events). In 2017 13 nations won medals in diving (in 13 events), while 14 nations won medals in fencing (in 12 events). So in 2009 we had 1 nation/event in diving (10 nations in 10 events) and 1.167 nations/event in fencing, in 2017 we had 1 nation/event in diving (13 nations in 13 events) and 1.167 nations/event in fencing, so in neither sport the nation/event ratio changed and in fencing the ratio was only slightly "better" with 1.167 compared to 1.000. At the moment it looks as if this time more nations will win medals in fencing while less nations will win medals in diving, but first we should wait till the end of the world championships and even if this proves to be true, it will only be one edition, so not enough to consider it a trend (for now) in my opinion.

19 minutes ago, phelps said:

c'mon! the no.1 seeded just can't lose a match like that...

it's not me having to relax, it's Volpi who should have been a lot more focused...

she was just irritating in the way she lost (you can always lose...but there are quite a few different ways to do it...Volpi chose one of the worst of them all)......

Isn't this result good for you? Italy, unlike Spain, has already won a medal, so why don't you cheer for Spain? :d

I didn't watch the match, so i can't say whether her behavior was "appropriate" or not, but maybe she was ill or injured? I think the italian girls deserve the benefit of the doubt considering all the medals they have won in recent years. Maybe she is already preparing for Tokyo and didn't completely focus on this event. I think for someone like her one more world title doesn't do much.

3 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Do you have any data that suggests that the situation is different when we look at top 8 instead of only medallists?

Also 1999 was 19 years ago ... not quite 20 years but still a completely different era.

Not really sure we are watching the same events, but i haven't noticed any clean sweeps by China in diving ... :d

I just looked at the past 10 years, but in 2009 10 nations won medals in diving (in 10 events), while in the same year 14 nations won medals in fencing (in 12 events). In 2017 13 nations won medals in diving (in 13 events), while 14 nations won medals in fencing (in 12 events). So in 2009 we had 1 nation/event in diving (10 nations in 10 events) and 1.167 nations/event in fencing, in 2017 we had 1 nation/event in diving (13 nations in 13 events) and 1.167 nations/event in fencing, so in neither sport the nation/event ratio changed and in fencing the ratio was only slightly "better" with 1.167 compared to 1.000. At the moment it looks as if this time more nations will win medals in fencing while less nations will win medals in diving, but first we should wait till the end of the world championships and even if this proves to be true, it will only be one edition, so not enough to consider it a trend (for now) in my opinion.

lol, they have won every single gold medal so far this year and they would win almost all the individual medals if diving would have the same 4 athletes per NOC system as fencing. 

Guys, I need help (again). I'm watching the Eurosport Player, fencing from yesterday apparently. Veniamin Reshetnikov vs Kamil Ibragimov in what I assume is the men's sabre competition. Is this semi's or what? If I open Wikipedia, I'll see the result.. :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Guys, I need help (again). I'm watching the Eurosport Player, fencing from yesterday apparently. Veniamin Reshetnikov vs Kamil Ibragimov in what I assume is the men's sabre competition. Is this semi's or what? If I open Wikipedia, I'll see the result.. :p 

you are probably watching the European Championships final...they didn't face each other yesterday.

Just now, Dunadan said:

you are probably watching the European Championships final...they didn't face each other yesterday.

Oh :lol: 

Good chance the Eurosport broadcast started with that then. In fact, that's what it is: I forwarded a few minutes and now it shows 'Live' and the commentator just said we're gonna watch the semi's of both disciplines of yesterday :d 

Thanks!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!