website statistics

Fencing FIE World Championships 2019

phelps

tell me that's just a nightmare...this can't be true...it's just a mistake...it was a fake video, a plot against me...:yikes::facepalm::wall:

p.s. meanwhile in the men's epee, which is supposed to be the most "open" weapon, with the most athletes and Countries with a chance to shine, we have 3 Frenchmen, 3 Japanese, 2 Hungarians, 2 Ukranians, 2 Kazakhs (and 4 others) in the top 16...only 9 Nations in the round of 16...

I've never seen so few Nations represented at this stage of a men's Epee event in the last 20 years or so (and I just wrote that fencing is becoming more and more widely spread at the top level of play)...:rofl::facepalm:

15 hours ago, phelps said:

finally, just a few stats...

only on day 1, we already have 8 Nations coming from 3 different Continents in the medal table...

in the men's Sabre we had 8 men from 8 different Countries in the quarterfinals and in the women's Epee 8 girls from 7 different Countries at the same stage...

in both competitions, the no. 1 seed couldn't even make the podium...

this shows how the sport of Fencing has grown in the last few years...now we can really say it's a true global discipline and one of the most widely spread all around the world (at least for what concerns the top level of play)...

the time when it was the home garden of the usual 4/5 powerhouses has long gone...

Not really sure why you think that fencing has "grown", but for example in 1999 we had 15 nations winning at least 1 medal, last year we had 14 nations winning at least 1 medal ...

In my opinion fencing always was a sport where some random athlete from a small nation could win a medal on a good day (like shooting, judo, taekwondo), but i don't really see that as a sign that this is a global sport. At the last 5 regular world championships (2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018) only 13 nations have won team medals (in a total of 30 events), 10 of those nations are from Europe (Germany, Italy, Russia, Switzerland, France, Ukraine, Estonia, Hungary, Poland, Romania), 2 are from Asia (China, South Korea) and 1 is from Northern America (USA) (surprisingly Japan hasn't won a single team medal if my research is correct ... ! :mumble:).

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.