website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

20 minutes ago, dcro said:

Oscar films were definitely less political in the past.

I mean, BlacKkKlansman literally has a newsreel footage with Trump in it (even though the film is set in 70s). That really says more than enough...

But that’s what makes it a great film. It shows how nothing has changed in 50 years. It’s a good political movie and a good funny comedy. I think it’s good to reward that.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

All I know is we once had to watch a Spike Lee movie at school which was insanely boring and weird and ever since then I'm not the slightest bit interested in watching another one of his movies, I thought he was some sort of high school weirdo instead of an actual 'big' director :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

But that’s what makes it a great film. It shows how nothing has changed in 50 years. It’s a good political movie and a good funny comedy. I think it’s good to reward that.

It's not. For me the use of a newsreel footage of all things is basically an admission that the film failed to have a point by itself. And don't get me started on "America First!" part... Extremely patronizing towards the audience. A good movie doesn't force its message.

#banbestmen

36 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I'm curious, but have a gut feeling people have been saying that about their own time forever :p 

In what year my friend, does a film like Black Panther deserve 3 Oscars, yet any nominations at all..  #Oscars so white, #Oscars so unpopular, #Oscars anti Trump

Poor Richard Grant, it doesn't matter that he gave a marvelous performance, he just wasn't the black guy being terrorized by the evil rednecks. Ali with 2 Oscars even though he acts the same in all his roles and was severely out-shined by his co-star...

I wonder how many Oscars will satisfy Spike Lee, so he stops ranting. He felt like he finally hacked the system, but not for long. Not standing for Cuaron, then the circus in the end.

Yeah, the Oscars have always been this way.. 

I mean these awards are subjective, movies are subjective, Art is subjective. If you find a piece of art you love that’s all that matters in the end. I think movies, books, TV, and even radio programs can teach society good lessons; and I’m not just saying that because I watched Won’t You Be My Neighbor? last week. I enjoyed the majority of the nominated films. I like that they have political messages, but that’s my opinion.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

25 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

In what year my friend, does a film like Black Panther deserve 3 Oscars, yet any nominations at all..    

Like I said, I didn't watch it, so I can't answer this :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Political messages blegh, just shoot and kill stuff.

Just now, heywoodu said:

Political messages blegh, just shoot and kill stuff.

Mr. Rogers would disapprove :p

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Mr. Rogers would disapprove :p

I don't know who that is.

1 ora fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

All I know is we once had to watch a Spike Lee movie at school which was insanely boring and weird and ever since then I'm not the slightest bit interested in watching another one of his movies, I thought he was some sort of high school weirdo instead of an actual 'big' director :p 

even if you dislike Spike Lee as a director big time, you gotta watch "He Got Game" (I think it's already 20 years old, but still)...