website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

5 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well, Nickelodeon was in its golden age when I was growing up. Spongebob, iCarly, ATLA, Korra, and Big Time Rush were all very popular, and still have a lot of following. 

I was never a fan of Cartoon Network, but there was this one show “Total Drama Island” that was the best. I was a fake animated reality show, and it was awesome.

Cartoon Network had Courage the Cowardly Dog which often scared little me :d It also had Dexter's Laboratory which I very much liked, even The Powerpuff Girls were ok for young me :d Never much cared for Johnny Bravo and Ed, Edd 'n Eddy, which were the other main shows at the time. 

And then Cartoon Network suddenly disappeared one day and was replaced by goddamn MTV or TMF or some crap like that where all they did was show music videos :facepalm:I was so sad that day, I think that's the day I even took home someone else's bike from school instead of my own because they looked alike and I got confused :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

48 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Cartoon Network had Courage the Cowardly Dog which often scared little me :d It also had Dexter's Laboratory which I very much liked, even The Powerpuff Girls were ok for young me :d Never much cared for Johnny Bravo and Ed, Edd 'n Eddy, which were the other main shows at the time. 

And then Cartoon Network suddenly disappeared one day and was replaced by goddamn MTV or TMF or some crap like that where all they did was show music videos :facepalm:I was so sad that day, I think that's the day I even took home someone else's bike from school instead of my own because they looked alike and I got confused :p 

You don't like Ed, Edd and Eddy :yikes: This is surprising, as it is one of the most well-rounded animated shows. It always make me laugh, even to this day. 

Cartoon Network was the bomb in our youth. From the 90s until 2005-06 their shows were so gooood, with hardly any bad one.  Courage, Dexter, Ed, Edd and Eddy, Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, Space Ghost, Time Squad, The Powerpuff Girls and all the legendary Hanna-Barbera library. I mean, i learned some english before even starting school, because of  Cartoon Network :d These shows had meanings, you can watch them, even as an adult, unlike the ones they produce now. 

I am truly sad for the kids of this last decade, who had to grow up with the modern CN, Disney and Nickelodeon crap they air. 

I needed just 24 days to watch all 84 episdoes of The 100, now I'm waiting for last, 7th season, which will be available in Poland at 22nd May. Until that I started watching Netflix serie Troy: Fall of a City. I expected something better...

7 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

You don't like Ed, Edd and Eddy :yikes: This is surprising, as it is one of the most well-rounded animated shows. It always make me laugh, even to this day. 

Cartoon Network was the bomb in our youth. From the 90s until 2005-06 their shows were so gooood, with hardly any bad one.  Courage, Dexter, Ed, Edd and Eddy, Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, Space Ghost, Time Squad, The Powerpuff Girls and all the legendary Hanna-Barbera library. I mean, i learned some english before even starting school, because of  Cartoon Network :d These shows had meanings, you can watch them, even as an adult, unlike the ones they produce now. 

I am truly sad for the kids of this last decade, who had to grow up with the modern CN, Disney and Nickelodeon crap they air. 

Did that (and mostly during the first years of school, where there isn't much English class yet) thanks to Dragonball Z :d 

Another simple and clear-cut reason why dubbing shows from English to whatever the language in a given country is is utterly dumb.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

33 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Did that (and mostly during the first years of school, where there isn't much English class yet) thanks to Dragonball Z :d 

Another simple and clear-cut reason why dubbing shows from English to whatever the language in a given country is is utterly dumb.

Kids pick up language really easily until they turn 6/7 (then they’ll start to need some actual lessons). My debate professor had her son (currently 3) watch Korean, English, Spanish, and German cartoons; and now he can speak elementary levels in all 4 languages. Interestingly, his concept of language is different because he’ll use multiple languages in one sentence :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Kids pick up language really easily until they turn 6/7 (then they’ll start to need some actual lessons). My debate professor had her son (currently 3) watch Korean, English, Spanish, and German cartoons; and now he can speak elementary levels in all 4 languages. Interestingly, his concept of language is different because he’ll use multiple languages in one sentence :p

Which is exactly why I think it's important to not dub shows. Show them in English, with or without subtitles, kids will pick the English up, don't worry.

About that second part of your post: I'm sort of expecting to end up with children who mix Dutch, Portuguese and English all together every now and then :p 

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Which is exactly why I think it's important to not dub shows. Show them in English, with or without subtitles, kids will pick the English up, don't worry.

About that second part of your post: I'm sort of expecting to end up with children who mix Dutch, Portuguese and English all together every now and then :p 

So basically 16th century explorers :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

The living daylights right now in one of our TV, always when rewatching this, I still can not stop laughing how they came to the conclusion that there are mountains and lakes around Bratislava and that the road from there to the border takes so long :lol: In reality there almost no single hill around the capital and the AUT borders are just behind the city lol