website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

9 hours ago, heywoodu said:

To be fair, to someone who never in his life heard of 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles' (me), the other name sounds a lot more funny :d 

To be fair, the "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" is more quotable, and indeed it gets quoted much.  :p

#banbestmen

10 hours ago, Vojthas said:

"Zootopia" in Polish is "Zwierzogród", but the biggest hits are "Dirty Dancing" ("Wirujący Seks" - "Swirling Sex" - it was so funny that nobody uses it anymore) and "Die Hard" ("Szklana Pułapka" - "Glass Trap", which was OK for the first one, but for the next parts...).

10 hours ago, hckosice said:

ah yes Die Hard, I forgot about this - Smrtonostná pasca (Deadly trap)

Here is it "Umri muški" = "Die like a man". :d

#banbestmen

Watched “Les Miserables” (the 2020 class warfare movie, Cannes Jury pick). Not quite sure what to think. We all know I’m a sucker for class warfare stories, but that just lacked something. I think it’s a highly acclaimed movie, but I don’t get it to be honest. I get it’s a “fuck the system” movie, but it just lacks something. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I’ve decided to get through a few films I’ve wanted to watch today. First was the widely acclaimed short documentary “Period. End of Sentence.” That was a nice watch. It happy a tone, and the cinematography was of a good standard. I think the story could have been much more critical, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

Also just finished “First They Killed My Father.” Wow, talk about a sob story right there. The cinematography is definitely some of the best I’ve seen out of Southeast Asia. @heywoodu will be happy to know that the entirety of the film was in Khmer (and Vietnamese and French). That films covers some heavy material, and it’s hard to watch as an American knowing that your country had a hand in what was happening. I believe it’s based on a true story, which means some of critiques can be thrown out. There are some “amazing” moments in that film. Plus, I have to tip my hat to the child actors that carry the film. Overall, a solid piece of cinema. I’d give it a 9/10. It’s a shame it didn’t win any awards (at least to my knowledge).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Dnia 9.04.2020 o 18:23, Olympian1010 napisał:

Watched it a long time ago. It was okay at best. I think the first season was fine, but then it just got crazy and hard to keep track of (at least in the age of watching an episode weekly). My sister has been watching lately, and she really liked it.

Well, it's so okay that yesterday I watched "only" 7 episodes without any break :lol: 

8 minutes ago, rybak said:

Well, it's so okay that yesterday I watched "only" 7 episodes without any break :lol: 

Yeah, 'hard to keep track of' is also very much an opinion: I found it rather easy actually :p I often like series that are sort of post-apocalyptic or give that kind of feel :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah, 'hard to keep track of' is also very much an opinion: I found it rather easy actually :p I often like series that are sort of post-apocalyptic or give that kind of feel :d 

Well I never watched it from a streaming platform. I watched it on CW week to week. I felt like too much changed between seasons. Maybe I’m just not remembering right or something.

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well I never watched it from a streaming platform. I watched it on CW week to week. I felt like too much changed between seasons. Maybe I’m just not remembering right or something.

I watched it on a streaming platform, also week to week - often my favourite way to watch a show, I can get a much better feeling for the characters when watching it over a longer period of time. Besides, of course I don't always have time to watch an episode every day, so even when a full season is available at once, I generally take a few weeks.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!