website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

hace 44 minutos, Olympian1010 dijo:

I never understood what people had against it. There are very few films that push the boundaries of the human mind more than that one, and the other films that have are now well loved cult “classics” (Inception, Interstellar).

I think it lacks "action" compared to those and that's why it isn't so popular. I also think the characters in those other films were more charismatic or memorable. In terms of how the science, psychology, philosophy, etc. themes were used, Arrival was better IMO.

Edited by LDOG

35 minutes ago, LDOG said:

I think it lacks "action" compared to those and that's why it isn't so popular. I also think the characters in those other films were more charismatic or memorable. In terms of how the science, psychology, philosophy, etc. themes were used, Arrival was better IMO.

Yeah I understand that. A lot of people outside academia hated the movie because it was too confusing. I don’t actually think a movie needs action to be good, a lot of my favorite don’t have serious action. I don’t need a fight scene to keep me entertained :p

Interstellar actually uses one of the same principles as Arrival, which is non-linear time. Essentially time moves in a circular pattern, and everything we do in the past, present, and future is already predetermined and unchangeable (expect that Interstellar argues that it is). Everything happens for a reason, and people should do what they can to give to the greater good of their species.

While Interstellar falls apart on some of its principles, Arrival is unique in that is so principled that it could almost be classified as scientific theory. Arrival doesn’t attempt to break the rules for the sake of plot like a lot of sci-fi movies do, which is why I think it’s much better than the other two. 

Arrival isn’t actually based that much on hard science either because it pulls most of it’s material from the social sciences. The film is modeled around theories like Sapir-Wharf (essentially language is in-permanent, ever changing, and doesn’t actually mean shit (except to those it means something to). 

I just think it’s a well made film, in an era of film where it’s about big budget fights, copy-paste plots, cool visual effects, and sexual tension. The film largely does away with those things, and remains a masterpiece in practical story telling. While the story itself seems rather unbelievable to most people, it’s actually more believable than something like Inception, or Planet of the Apes, or the Shape of Water, etc. All films that have received more credit because they drop the reality of their material to satisfy a larger audience that doesn’t want their beliefs challenged.

I will say that from a critical perspective, I see Arrival and Interstellar as equals, with the likes of Inception not too far behind.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I finished watching first season of Knightfall, I can say that this show is good, but not so good as The Last Kingdom, Vikings or GoT are.

I was so shocked about such unexpected plot twists which happened in eight episode :yikes:

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah I understand that. A lot of people outside academia hated the movie because it was too confusing. I don’t actually think a movie needs action to be good, a lot of my favorite don’t have serious action. I don’t need a fight scene to keep me entertained :p

Interstellar actually uses one of the same principles as Arrival, which is non-linear time. Essentially time moves in a circular pattern, and everything we do in the past, present, and future is already predetermined and unchangeable (expect that Interstellar argues that it is). Everything happens for a reason, and people should do what they can to give to the greater good of their species.

While Interstellar falls apart on some of its principles, Arrival is unique in that is so principled that it could almost be classified as scientific theory. Arrival doesn’t attempt to break the rules for the sake of plot like a lot of sci-fi movies do, which is why I think it’s much better than the other two. 

Arrival isn’t actually based that much on hard science either because it pulls most of it’s material from the social sciences. The film is modeled around theories like Sapir-Wharf (essentially language is in-permanent, ever changing, and doesn’t actually mean shit (except to those it means something to). 

I just think it’s a well made film, in an era of film where it’s about big budget fights, copy-paste plots, cool visual effects, and sexual tension. The film largely does away with those things, and remains a masterpiece in practical story telling. While the story itself seems rather unbelievable to most people, it’s actually more believable than something like Inception, or Planet of the Apes, or the Shape of Water, etc. All films that have received more credit because they drop the reality of their material to satisfy a larger audience that doesn’t want their beliefs challenged.

I will say that from a critical perspective, I see Arrival and Interstellar as equals, with the likes of Inception not too far behind.

Thing is, you've basically got two groups of movie-watching people:

1) People who simply want to sit back, watch a movie they like and be entertained

2) People who want to see some deep meaning and 'explored topics' and all that stuff in almost everything

One is of course not better than the other, some people prefer this and others prefer that, but group 1 is definitely bigger and so movies that are more fitting for that category get more credit. Logically. 

Like I said, I sort of liked Arrival, it was interesting, but I liked Planet of the Apes more :) (and no, no deep meaning or whatever in that one, it's just apes taking over the world and let it be that :p )

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

1) People who simply want to sit back, watch a movie they like and be entertained

2) People who want to see some deep meaning and 'explored topics' and all that stuff in almost everything

One is of course not better than the other, some people prefer this and others prefer that, but group 1 is definitely bigger and so movies that are more fitting for that category get more credit. Logically. 

Like I said, I sort of liked Arrival, it was interesting, but I liked Planet of the Apes more :) (and no, no deep meaning or whatever in that one, it's just apes taking over the world and let it be that :p )

I’m very much in group 2 :p

I still love entertaining movies too, but I’ll always choose a artsy/sophisticated movie over the Avengers or Jaws.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

How about me who wants a bit of both? :p

8 minutes ago, Agger said:

How about me who wants a bit of both? :p

That's why I said 'basically', meaning 'roughly' :p Of course there's always outliers and people in between :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I missed this entire season of Khatron Ke Khiladi (Indian version of Fear Factor) . Luckily I'm happy I missed it because now I could watch it whole day. It's current season 10 was being shot in Bulgaria. The last edition was shot in Argentina which was one of my favorite maybe I'll re-watch it. Then season 8 ' Pain in Spain ' .Then Season 7 again in Argentina. My show time is fixed now. :cheer:

Edited by Fly_like_a_don