website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

Rewatched my favorite film (and arguably the greatest film in history) today. It’s a American film released in 2016 called “Arrival.” It’s probably the most unique and greatest story ever to ever grace American cinema. I was curious if anybody else has watched it. The film is based on communication, time, and philosophical theories that I study, so that may be why I enjoy it so much :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Rewatched my favorite film (and arguably the greatest film in history) today. It’s a American film released in 2016 called “Arrival.” It’s probably the most unique and greatest story ever to ever grace American cinema. I was curious if anybody else has watched it. The film is based on communication, time, and philosophical theories that I study, so that may be why I enjoy it so much :p

Oh come on, another one of the dozens and dozens of movies that are 'arguably the greatest film in history'? :p 

I've seen Arrival. Weird as shit, but pretty interesting. Main good thing for me was that it wasn't the millionth movie with aliens that are basically human-like except for a different colour, language and technology.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Apparently this is being received rather well, now I'm curious because the format definitely seems different than your average movie. It may arguably be the best ever movie about a food platform moving down a tower-like prison.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

Since there is so much time on offer, I am considering watching How I Met Your Mother for the first time. :p

I've thought "nah, that's not my thing" for years, until one day I came by Comedy Central as usual when I've got nothing to do and just didn't feel like turning it off and went on to start watching it from the very first episode on. Not a moment of regret about that decision :p 

On 25/03/2020 at 02:03, Federer91 said:

Lol they canceled Big Brother Canada 8. First time i see a high profile reality show season being canceled midway, since the show was four weeks in. 

Big Brother seasons still going on in Germany, Brazil, Sweden, Israel i think.  

No body coming in, no contact with anyone...... Sounds like a lockdown show.... 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Oh come on, another one of the dozens and dozens of movies that are 'arguably the greatest film in history'? :p 

I've seen Arrival. Weird as shit, but pretty interesting. Main good thing for me was that it wasn't the millionth movie with aliens that are basically human-like except for a different colour, language and technology.

I’ve never left the cinema with the same feeling ever again. The score in this movie is so damn hauntingly beautiful. The acting is so believable. The story is mind-blowing (so much so to where people are still debating it to this day). While the movie is based on a “first contact” scenario, it’s actually more based around the idea of perception. Plus, I can’t think of many movies that involve aliens, where they don’t try to kill us or whatnot. I do think that you have to enjoy language, science, philosophy, and have a lot of open-mindedness to really enjoy this film though. I don’t think it’s for everyone. I should’ve cleaned at all the awards shows and it didn’t.   

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

15 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

It probably wasn't in my top 10 for that year alone. :d Heck it's not even in the top 5 Amy Adams movies. I found it quite boring to be honest.

Just now, Federer91 said:

It probably wasn't in my top 10 for that year alone. :d Heck it's not even in the top 5 Amy Adams movies. I found it quite boring to be honest.

I never understood what people had against it. There are very few films that push the boundaries of the human mind more than that one, and the other films that have are now well loved cult “classics” (Inception, Interstellar).

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

I never understood what people had against it. There are very few films that push the boundaries of the human mind more than that one, and the other films that have are now well loved cult “classics” (Inception, Interstellar).

Interstellar 10/10, Inception 9/10 are two of the best films of this century. Arrival tried to do something unique, but i don't think it reached the scope of the Nolan films. 

There is something about Denis Villeneuve movies, that just can't click with me. They are all with great visuals, perfect atmosphere and deep story, but at the end, i always feel indifferent after the movie ends.. Found Prisoners his best so far, a solid 8/10. Let's hope the bar will be put higher with Dune, :)