website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

10 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I get a feeling Oscars are going to the mainstream actors for a while now. I remember back in the 90s there was always at least one winner whom I didn't know who that is. Now it's mainstream like hell. Brad Pitt, Joaquin Phoenix, Renee Zellweger & Laura Dern is total rich are getting richer kind of stuff. Laura Dern was off the wall after Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart 30 years ago but man, even that kind of cinema noir is gone. Dare I say this very much changed after Di Caprio started to whore up his quest for Oscars.

I'm really old school but 'Clay Pigeons' remains the best movie for Joaquin Phoenix & Vince Vaughn who has gone all mainstream few years ago too.

"My name ain't Cowboy!" :finger:

Joaquin Phoenix’s best performance will always be either Joker or Gladiator.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Joaquin Phoenix’s best performance will always be either Joker or Gladiator.

Deffo not Gladiator. I feel like he was too young for that kind of role back then.

'Joker' for him reminds me of how Michael Keaton suddenly rose from the dead with 'Birdman'. It's a revival but for many of these 50 year olds I feel like their best acting was like 20 years ago.

I'm a cinema noir fan going all the way back to Orson Welles' 'Third Man' I saw when I was a kid (obviously not in the 1940s :p ). L.A. Confidential remains the best of the modern movies from that genre.

Joaquin Phoenix would be a better fit for Chris Hemsworth's role in 'Bad Times at El Royale' IMO.

16 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I get a feeling Oscars are going to the mainstream actors for a while now. I remember back in the 90s there was always at least one winner whom I didn't know who that is. Now it's mainstream like hell. Brad Pitt, Joaquin Phoenix, Renee Zellweger & Laura Dern is total rich are getting richer kind of stuff. Laura Dern was off the wall after Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart 30 years ago but man, even that kind of cinema noir is gone. Dare I say this very much changed after Di Caprio started to whore up his quest for Oscars.

I'm really old school but 'Clay Pigeons' remains the best movie for Joaquin Phoenix & Vince Vaughn who has gone all mainstream few years ago too.

"My name ain't Cowboy!" :finger:

Can't really talk about how it felt in the 90s (a bit young for most Oscars movies back then), but looking at both supporting categories, I see several names in the last 10 years that I really can't put a face on

I just finished The Last Kingdom. It was very good serie, third season was without a doubt the best one. Too bad that no one know when fourth season will out :wacko: I need more Uhtred "Arseling" Ragnarsson and Brida :lol:

Move to The Witcher now.

I love Billie, but this song just doesn’t do it for me. It almost makes me wonder what kind of Bond we’re getting this year.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

14 hours ago, Agger said:

Not as bad as Jack White and Alicia Keys or Madonna, not as forgettable as Sam Smith or Lulu but no doubt that it's far from the greats. Could even be a candidate for the bottom five.

Woah there old man, don’t be dissing “Writing’s On The Wall” that and “Skyfall” are my two all-time favorites.

Edited by Olympian1010