website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

16 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

My Ranking for Best Animated Feature Film: 1. I Lost My Body 2. Make Something Original Disney

Only one of the movies from this category is a Disney/Pixar movie though, all the other ones are from completely different studios :d

2 minutes ago, Bohemia said:

Only one of the movies from this category is a Disney/Pixar movie though, all the other ones are from completely different studios :d

They’re all the same, have the same plots, have no substantive meaning, and I refuse to watch any of them.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

19 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’ve already decided which film I’d award the animated feature film award to. I don’t want it to go to Disney/Pixar/etc. since all there films (save Coco) have the same copy and paste plot. I don’t want to the award to go to a sequel or remake. I don’t respect films that don’t push the envelope. So, I already knew I would award “I Lost My Body” the award. I just finished watching it, and I quite liked it thankfully. It’s a bit short for a feature film, but I didn’t take away from the story too much. I wasn’t really feeling it at first, but it’s a film that grows on you. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize that I wasn’t watching it in the native language since Netflix automatically played the English version, so that might have taken away from it a bit. Overall, I though the idea was rather creative, though the ending could have been much better. I don’t like soft endings, and it actually made the hand feel pointless. Story wise, the pacing was good, the plot was interesting, and the film had a nice flow to it. I liked the order they presented things in, and I liked the darkness of the story since most animated films generally deal brighter themes. Overall, “I Lost My Body” scores a 7/10 (which is pretty good for an animated film, since I generally hate them all)

My Ranking for Best Animated Feature Film: 1. I Lost My Body 2. Make Something Original Disney

While I like animated movies more than you, the category is kinda dreadful this year. "I Lost My Body" is really the best thing here, although "Missing Link" would also be a fine winner.

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Personal Ranking: 1. “Stand Up” 2. “I’m Standing With You” 3. “Into The Unknown” 4. “I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away” 5. “(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again” 

Jesus, I found the "Breakthrough" song to be really terrible, but maybe it's a reflection of my dislike with this unbearable faith-based drama. This year's selection for this category is the worst in years, I wouldn't nominate any of these songs and it's a crime that "Glasgow" from Wild Rose wasn't nominated. I would say I'm fine with Elton winning another Oscar, though.

37 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Jesus, I found the "Breakthrough" song to be really terrible, but maybe it's a reflection of my dislike with this unbearable faith-based drama. This year's selection for this category is the worst in years, I wouldn't nominate any of these songs and it's a crime that "Glasgow" from Wild Rose wasn't nominated. I would say I'm fine with Elton winning another Oscar, though.

The movie was shit, but the song was fine. This category does suck monkey balls this year though. I’ll have to listen to Glasgow, I’m going to try and get through some of the short listed material after the Oscars.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 04/02/2020 at 23:52, Bohemia said:

Wow, you have a strong opinion on animated movies :lol:

All based on his 'and I refuse to watch any of them' :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

The Oscars are this sunday so it's finally time for my annual predictions post. While I correctly guessed most categories in the last few years, it's been quite some time that I don't predict the right Best Picture winner. Once again I'm not confident at all, but unlike last year I won't be picking the foreign film nominee, although Parasite deserves the big prize and I would be thrilled if it wins (1917 is good, but it's past time a foreign language film wins this).

["will win" is my prediction / "could win" is my alternate prediction / "should win" is my personal ranking from what I've watched / "shoud have been nominated" is a way to remember other notable work].

Spoiler

Best Picture

WILL WIN: 1917

COULD WIN: Parasite

SHOULD WIN: 1. Parasite; 2. Marriage Story; 3. 1917; 4. The Irishman; 5. Ford v Ferrari; 6. Once upon a Time... in Hollywood; 7. Jojo Rabbit; 8. Joker. Not watched: Little Women.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Pain and Glory

Directing

WILL WIN: 1917, Sam Mendes

COULD WIN: Parasite, Bong Joon Ho

SHOULD WIN: 1. Parasite, Bong Joon Ho; 2. 1917, Sam Mendes; 3. The Irishman, Martin Scorsese; 4. Once upon a Time... in Hollywood, Quentin Tarantino; 5. Joker, Todd Phillips.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Pedro Almodóvar, Pain and Glory

Actor in a Leading Role

WILL WIN: Joaquin Phoenix, Joker

COULD WIN: Adam Driver, Marriage Story

SHOULD WIN: 1. Antonio Banderas, Pain and Glory; 2. Adam Driver, Marriage Story; 3. Jonathan Pryce, The Two Popes; 4. Joaquin Phoenix, Joker; 5. Leonardo DiCaprio, Once upon a Time... in Hollywood.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Eddie Murphy, Dolemite is My Name

Actress in a Leading Role

WILL WIN: Renée Zellweger, Judy

COULD WIN: Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story

SHOULD WIN: 1. Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story; 2. Renée Zellweger, Judy; 3. Charlize Theron, Bombshell; 4. Cynthia Erivo, Harriet. Not watched: Saoirse Ronan, Little Women.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Lupita Nyong'o, Us

Actor in a Supporting Role

WILL WIN: Brad Pitt, Once upon a Time... in Hollywood

COULD WIN: Joe Pesci, The Irishman

SHOULD WIN: 1. Tom Hanks, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood; 2. Joe Pesci, The Irishman; 3. Al Pacino, The Irishman; 4. Anthony Hopkins, The Two Popes; 5. Brad Pitt, Once upon a Time... in Hollywood.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Song Kang Ho, Parasite

Actress in a Supporting Role

WILL WIN: Laura Dern, Marriage Story

COULD WIN: Scarlett Johansson, Jojo Rabbit

SHOULD WIN: 1. Laura Dern, Marriage Story; 2. Scarlett Johansson, Jojo Rabbit; 3. Margot Robbie, Bombshell. Not watched: Kathy Bates, Richard Jewell; Florence Pugh, Little Women.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Cho Yeo Jeong, Parasite

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

WILL WIN: Jojo Rabbit

COULD WIN: Little Women

SHOULD WIN: 1. The Two Popes; 2. The Irishman; 3. Jojo Rabbit; 4. Joker. Not watched: Little Women.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Writing (Original Screenplay)

WILL WIN: Parasite

COULD WIN: Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood

SHOULD WIN: 1. Parasite; 2. Marriage Story; 3. Knives Out; 4. 1917; 5 Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Booksmart

Animated Feature Film

WILL WIN: Klaus

COULD WIN: Toy Story 4

SHOULD WIN: 1. I Lost My Body; 2. Missing Link; 3. Toy Story 4; 4. Klaus; 5 How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Didn't watch any other good animation films this year, although I'm interested in Weathering with You.

Documentary Feature

WILL WIN: American Factory

COULD WIN: For Sama

SHOULD WIN: 1. Honeyland; 2. For Sama; 3. The Edge of Democracy; 4. American Factory; 5 The Cave.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: The Biggest Little Farm

International Feature Film

WILL WIN: Parasite (South Korea)

COULD WIN: Pain and Glory (Spain)

SHOULD WIN: 1. Parasite (South Korea); 2. Pain and Glory (Spain); 3. Honeyland (North Macedonia); 4. Corpus Christi (Poland). Not watched: Les Misérables (France).

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Invisible Life (Brazil)

Cinematography

COULD WIN: The Lighthouse

SHOULD WIN: 1. 1917; 2. The Lighthouse; 3. The Irishman; 4. Joker; 5. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Ford v Ferrari

Film Editing

WILL WIN: Ford v Ferrari

COULD WIN: Parasite

SHOULD WIN: 1. Parasite; 2. Ford v Ferrari; 3. The Irishman; 4. Joker; 5. Jojo Rabbit.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Knives Out

Costume Design

WILL WIN: Little Women

COULD WIN: Jojo Rabbit

SHOULD WIN: 1. Jojo Rabbit; 2. Joker; 3. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood; 4. The Irishman. Not watched: Little Women.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Rocketman

Production Design

COULD WIN: Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood

SHOULD WIN: 1. Parasite; 2. 1917; 3. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood; 4. The Irishman; 5. Jojo Rabbit.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Ad Astra

Makeup and Hairstyling

WILL WIN: Bombshell

COULD WIN: Joker

SHOULD WIN: 1. 1917; 2. Bombshell; 3. Joker; 4. Judy; 5. Maleficent: Mistress of Evil.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Dolemite is My Name

Music (Original Score)

WILL WIN: Joker

COULD WIN: 1917

SHOULD WIN: 1. Marriage Story; 2. 1917; 3. Joker. Not watched: Little Women, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Pain and Glory

Music (Original Song)

WILL WIN: "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again", Rocketman

COULD WIN: "Stand Up", Harriet

SHOULD WIN: 1. "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again", Rocketman; 2. "Into the Unknown", Frozen II; 3. "I Can't Let You Throw Yourself Away", Toy Story 4; 4. "Stand Up", Harriet, 5. "I'm Standing with You", Breakthrough.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: "Glasgow (No Place Like Home)", Wild Rose

Sound Editing

COULD WIN: Ford v Ferrari

SHOULD WIN: 1. Ford v Ferrari; 2. 1917; 3. Joker; 4. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood. Not watched: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

Sound Mixing

COULD WIN: Ford v Ferrari

SHOULD WIN: 1. Ad Astra; 2. 1917; 3. Ford v Ferrari; 4. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood; 5. Joker.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: The Lighthouse

Visual Effects

COULD WIN: The Lion King

SHOULD WIN: 1. 1917; 2. The Irishman; 3. The Lion King. Not watched: Avengers: Endgame, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

Short Film (Animated)

WILL WIN: Hair Love

COULD WIN: Kitbull

SHOULD WIN: 1. Memorable; 2. Kitbull; 3. Dcera (Daughter); 4. Hair Love; 5. Sister.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: The Opposites Game

Short Film (Documentary)

WILL WIN: Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl)

COULD WIN: In the Absence

SHOULD WIN: 1. In the Absence; 2. St. Louis Superman; 3. Life Overtakes Me; 4. Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl); 5. Walk Run Cha-Cha.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Stay Close

Short Film (Live Action)

WILL WIN: The Neighbors' Window

COULD WIN: Brotherhood

SHOULD WIN: 1. Une Soeur (A Sister); 2. The Neighbors' Window; 3. Nefta Football Club; 4. Brotherhood; 5. Saria.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Les Petites Mains (Little Hands)

Personal Rankings for Best Score: 1. “Defeated Clown” - Joker 2. “End of Story” - Marriage Story 3. “Come Back To Us” 1917 4. “Plumfield” - Little Women 5. “Rise of The Skywalker” - Star Wars 9