website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

I just watched Nefta Football Club this morning. What the odds of that :d. It was a nice short film, but not a winner in my opinion. I’ll have to watch all the shorts now. 

I still need to see Joker, Little Women, Knives Out, and My Name Is Dolomite too. Maybe Harriet as well.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

12 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I just watched Nefta Football Club this morning. What the odds of that :d. It was a nice short film, but not a winner in my opinion. I’ll have to watch all the shorts now. 

I still need to see Joker, Little Women, Knives Out, and My Name Is Dolomite too. Maybe Harriet as well.

Interesting, this short film “Akeda” is much better than Nefta Football Club in my opinion. Though it may have been too dark for the academies liking.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

@OlympicIRL don’t know if you’re caught up, but “His Dark Materials” is looking like a really bad flop in my opinion. It’s too bad really, the casting was very good. The actors have put on the best performances they could, but this script might be the worst I’ve seen all year (GOT bad). It’s too bad since HBO really just saved themselves with “Watchmen”, but you win some you lose some.

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@OlympicIRL don’t know if you’re caught up, but “His Dark Materials” is looking like a really bad flop in my opinion. It’s too bad really, the casting was very good. The actors have put on the best performances they could, but this script might be the worst I’ve seen all year (GOT bad). It’s too bad since HBO really just saved themselves with “Watchmen”, but you win some you lose some.

I am up to date and will watch the final episode of the series on Sunday. I agree it hasn’t been the best and when I watch I am constantly thinking, that could have been done better.

But I found it interesting enough to continue watching and don’t feel like it’s been a waste of my time. 

On 17/12/2019 at 03:35, Olympian1010 said:

Shortlist of films that could be nominated for Best International Film at the 2020 Oscars:

Parasite will almost certainly win the category. It seems like Honeyland may be the only other film with a shot. I still can’t believe the Capernaum was robbed in this category last year. It was the best foreign film by a mile.

This list is too eurocentric. No latin american representation saddens me. Anyway, the one asian candidate should win, and deservedly so (although I'm yet to see Pain and Glory, which many say it's the best Almodovar in many years).

On 17/12/2019 at 03:40, Olympian1010 said:

The two highest profile films from the animated short list are available to watch. Pixar's Kitbull is quite good and interesting looking (maybe the front runner?). Hair Love is algo good, even if the animation isn't particularly original.

I'm very interested in "He Can't Live without Cosmos", which I think it's a sequel (?) to the brilliant "We Can't Live without Cosmos".

On 11/12/2019 at 18:20, Olympian1010 said:

Watchmen has been super underrated. You either also enjoy most HBO shows or hate all of them. There’s not a lot of middle ground. You also have to like very political, racial, and otherwise challenging themes to enjoy Watchmen. A conservative would most likely also hate it because it does push a lot of liberal ideology.  

I haven’t watched “The Boys” personally, but it’s been recommended, and I have Amazon so I’ll get around to it soon. I do know that people that have watched “The Boys” say the “Watchmen” is better in their opinion. 

I’m not huge fan of those shows. I like the “new age” of television (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, Hulu). I like tv shows that feel more like movies, and tell better more complex stories. Huge fan of “Vikings”. 

I am not a conservative and i like a lot of HBO shows (Curb, Oz, The Sopranos, True Detective, Band of Brothers, Six Feet Under, The Wire, Entourage, Game of Thrones, Chernobyl, Eastbound & Down), i am just saying that "The Boys" is far better rated by the general public than "Watchmen". I haven't watched either show so far, so i can't judge them, but i am not a fan of "superhero shows" in general. I have watched 4 and a half seasons of Vikings and it is nice show to "waste some time", but in my opinion it is miles away from shows like Breaking Bad, The Wire of The Sopranos quality wise. The acting is pretty bad (by some of the main characters), the languages are all messed up, the timeline is completely weird and some of the storylines are almost comical (for example the death of Aethelwulf). At least i learned some interesting things about history and "religion", for example i never knew about the Varangian Guard or that the Vikings actually reached Africa.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

An (in my opinion) interesting documentary (mostly in italian) by Franco-German TV network Arte about the italian colonies in Eritrea and Ethiopia. I thought maybe some of the italian users on here are interested in that part of "their" history ... @phelps:

Don't know if this counts as a TV series ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

8 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I am not a conservative and i like a lot of HBO shows (Curb, Oz, The Sopranos, True Detective, Band of Brothers, Six Feet Under, The Wire, Entourage, Game of Thrones, Chernobyl, Eastbound & Down), i am just saying that "The Boys" is far better rated by the general public than "Watchmen". I haven't watched either show so far, so i can't judge them, but i am not a fan of "superhero shows" in general. I have watched 4 and a half seasons of Vikings and it is nice show to "waste some time", but in my opinion it is miles away from shows like Breaking Bad, The Wire of The Sopranos quality wise. The acting is pretty bad (by some of the main characters), the languages are all messed up, the timeline is completely weird and some of the storylines are almost comical (for example the death of Aethelwulf). At least i learned some interesting things about history and "religion", for example i never knew about the Varangian Guard or that the Vikings actually reached Africa.

What “Vikings” did as a show though, is that it proved (along with Game of Thrones to a certain degree) that historical dramas could make. It also put History Channel on map for any non-conspiracy, non-documentary, non-oddity shows. It showed that History could tell a compelling story, and like others, I hope they build momentum of “Vikings” in the future. I’ll be sad if Chernobyl doesn’t sweep all the television awards this year.