website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

You’ve been watching some of America’s finest shows and cinema right there.

I’d highly recommend: 

Shawshank Redemption 

Gladiator

Sunset Boulevard

Gangs of New York

Thanks, although i don't think that City of God or Black Mirror are american productions.

About your recommendations:

Saw all of them already except for Sunset Boulevard. Shawshank Redemption was great, probably in my top 20, Gladiator was also good and is probably in my top 100. I didn't like Gangs of New York though. Sadly in Germany many of the movies i would like to watch (12 Angry Men, Andrei Rublev, North by Northwest, The Best Years of Our Lives, Dr. Strangelove, Leon: The Professional, Ex Machina, Persona, The Prestige, Metropolis, Philadelphia, Some Like It Hot, Stalker, Room, Mulholland Drive, Taxi Driver, Trainspotting, Song to Song, The Thin Red Line, Vertigo, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Warrior, Wild Strawberries or To Kill a Mockingbird) are hard to come by (on Netflix/Prime) unless you are willing to buy them. Thankfully nowadays only very few good movies are released every year, so i have enough time to catch up without my "to-watch list" getting longer and longer every year.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

@OlympicsFan I totally forgot about The Prestige, that’s definitely in my top 5. 

I put Gladiator as number 1, that is my favorite movie of all time, though Shawshank Redemption and Avatar come close

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Movies i watched recently that i can recommend:

The Machinist

The Green Mile

City of God

How to Train Your Dragon

Nocturnal Animals

Nightcrawler

Did you watch only the first movie or all of them?

2 hours ago, Bohemia said:

Did you watch only the first movie or all of them?

Sadly only the first one so far, the other ones aren't available on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

I have to say that this is now top 3 in my favourite computer-animated movies only behind Up and Toy Story, but ahead of Shrek.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@OlympicsFan I totally forgot about The Prestige, that’s definitely in my top 5. 

I put Gladiator as number 1, that is my favorite movie of all time, though Shawshank Redemption and Avatar come close

Can't say anything about Prestige since i couldn't watch it so far, but i only read good things about it.

Gladiator without a doubt is a good movies (Great score, good actors (Joaquin Phoenix and Russell Crowe), interesting story and great settings), but there are some things that prevent it from being near the top of my list:

a) Too many historical inaccuracies

b) It wasn't really thought-provoking in my opinion and that's what a movies has to have in my opinion to be considered one of the best ever, otherwise it is just "plain" entertainment

I could watch Requiem for a Dream, Beasts of the Southern Wild, American History X, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Breaking the Waves, Brokeback Mountain, Cloud Atlas, Magnolia, Memento, Lost in Translation, Her, Seven, American Beauty, A Serious Man, Blade Runner: 2049, Dogville, Life is Beautiful, The Seventh Seal, Inception, Moonlight, Manchester by the sea, Matrix, Nocturnal Animals, The Machinist or Shutter Island multiple times and always discover some new "angle", but that is not really possible with Gladiator in my opinion.

If it's "only" about entertainment, then i would rather watch movies like City of Good, The Godfather, Scarface, Goodfellas, The Revenant, The Green Mile, Pulp Fiction, The Big Lebowski, Schindler's List, The Pianist, Forrest Gump, Rain Man, Kill Bill: Volume 1, Hacksaw Ridge, Inglourious Basterds, Fight Club, Once Upon a Time in America, Deadpool, Departed, The Usual Suspects, Saving Private Ryan, all of the Lord of the Rings movies, some of the Star Wars movies, Apocalypse Now, Batman Begins or The Dark Knight.

35 minutes ago, rybak said:

So, Game of Thrones is over, when I will finish watching Vikings I will need to find another interesting serie, I wonder if The 100 is good, anyone can say something about it, it's worthy to watch?

I watched it for the first 2/3 seasons. It was alright. My sister is on the 5/6 season now and it doesn’t look good to me. 

I’d personally recommend Big Little Lies, Chernobyl, Stranger Things, Lost In Space (the Netflix remake), Good Doctor, or Veep

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

55 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Sadly only the first one so far, the other ones aren't available on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

I have to say that this is now top 3 in my favourite computer-animated movies only behind Up and Toy Story, but ahead of Shrek.

How To Train Your Dragon is one of my favorite trilogies, it's so well done (not just the story, but also the animation (well, not so much in the first movie) and the music, these movies have the perfect combination). I hope you'll have the opportunity to watch the 2nd and 3rd movie!

34 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Can't say anything about Prestige since i couldn't watch it so far, but i only read good things about it.

Gladiator without a doubt is a good movies (Great score, good actors (Joaquin Phoenix and Russell Crowe), interesting story and great settings), but there are some things that prevent it from being near the top of my list:

a) Too many historical inaccuracies

b) It wasn't really thought-provoking in my opinion and that's what a movies has to have in my opinion to be considered one of the best ever, otherwise it is just "plain" entertainment

I could watch Requiem for a Dream, Beasts of the Southern Wild, American History X, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Breaking the Waves, Brokeback Mountain, Cloud Atlas, Magnolia, Memento, Lost in Translation, Her, Seven, American Beauty, A Serious Man, Blade Runner: 2049, Dogville, Life is Beautiful, The Seventh Seal, Inception, Moonlight, Manchester by the sea, Matrix, Nocturnal Animals, The Machinist or Shutter Island multiple times and always discover some new "angle", but that is not really possible with Gladiator in my opinion.

If it's "only" about entertainment, then i would rather watch movies like City of Good, The Godfather, Scarface, Goodfellas, The Revenant, The Green Mile, Pulp Fiction, The Big Lebowski, Schindler's List, The Pianist, Forrest Gump, Rain Man, Kill Bill: Volume 1, Hacksaw Ridge, Inglourious Basterds, Fight Club, Once Upon a Time in America, Deadpool, Departed, The Usual Suspects, Saving Private Ryan, all of the Lord of the Rings movies, some of the Star Wars movies, Apocalypse Now, Batman Begins or The Dark Knight.

I totally agree with a) and b), I just really like Gladiator.

Those are amazing lists but I’d add District Nine, Sixth Sense, the Glass trilogy, Psycho, Capernaum, Avengers, Black Panther, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Unbroken, 2012, Lion King, and Arrival.

My personal top 5 favorite movies are:

1. Forest Gump

2. Shawshank Redemption 

3. Gladiator 

4. Arrival

5. Sixth Sense

Though some honerable mention would go to:

The Prestige, District Nine, Capernaum, Inglorious Bastards, The Revenent, and Amadeus 

Edited by Olympian1010