website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics FIG Junior World Championships 2019

Totallympics

41 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Very surprising bronze medal for Italy in the team competition! Congratulations! :thumbup:

How is the level in this competition? Are these championships for young enough competitors that no senior national team members could participate?

Edited by juddy96

54 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Very surprising bronze medal for Italy in the team competition! Congratulations! :thumbup:

1) Where did you find the results (on the official website it only says "Results coming soon")?

2) Why do you consider this result VERY surprising? I think everyone who follows gymnastics should have expected Italy to finish at least 4th. They had amazing results at european level recently (at least on the womens side) and have even overtaken GB + Japan isnt that strong on the womens side. I would have favored only the US, China and Russia over Italy without knowing anything about the actual teams. So do you know more about the actual teams or did you miss the development Italy has shown recently on the womens side?

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Just now, OlympicsFan said:

1) Where did you find the results (on the official website it only says "Results coming soon")?

2) Why do you consider this result VERY surprising? I think everyone who follows gymnastics should have expected Italy to finish at least 4th. They had amazing results at european level recently (at least on the womens side) and have even overtaken GB + Japan isnt that strong on the womens side. I would have favored only the US, China and Russia over Italy without knowing anything about the actual teams. So do you know more about the actual teams or did you miss the development Italy has shown recently on the womens side?

Probably because it was on the mens side...

2 hours ago, juddy96 said:

How is the level in this competition? Are these championships for young enough competitors that no senior national team members could participate?

There's a big difference between men's and women's artistic gymnastics when it comes to the age that the gymnasts reach their peaks. Junior male gymnasts (16-17 years old) are still far from their peak form, since men usually peak around their early to middle twenties. Junior female gymnasts (14-15 years old) are very close to the peak form (16-18 years old) and some of the junior girls are better than the senior women.

That being said, the level in men's competition was good. Japan is way ahead of the rest of the field as a team, but we could see some very surprising individual results, especially with the South Korean boy on floor and Kovtun on pommel horse (even though he fell, apparently) and parallel bars. But don't watch this event expecting to see the next Olympic champion in men's gymnastics. This is not going to happen. Maybe in 2024, but certainly not 2020 (unless we're talking about Japan's men's team).

I expect the women's competition to be much closer to the level we see in senior events. Given the results at the European Games (especially women's floor) I believe the junior worlds will be a lot better.

2 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

There's a big difference between men's and women's artistic gymnastics when it comes to the age that the gymnasts reach their peaks. Junior male gymnasts (16-17 years old) are still far from their peak form, since men usually peak around their early to middle twenties. Junior female gymnasts (14-15 years old) are very close to the peak form (16-18 years old) and some of the junior girls are better than the senior women.

That being said, the level in men's competition was good. Japan is way ahead of the rest of the field as a team, but we could see some very surprising individual results, especially with the South Korean boy on floor and Kovtun on pommel horse (even though he fell, apparently) and parallel bars. But don't watch this event expecting to see the next Olympic champion in men's gymnastics. This is not going to happen. Maybe in 2024, but certainly not 2020 (unless we're talking about Japan's men's team).

I expect the women's competition to be much closer to the level we see in senior events. Given the results at the European Games (especially women's floor) I believe the junior worlds will be a lot better.

Well I just want to get excited about a Canadian talent on the Men's side for a change

9 hours ago, juddy96 said:

Probably because it was on the mens side...

Then it was really unexpected ... :yikes:

Still, where can we see the results and why don't you at least post the medallists here if you know the results? :mumble:

I guess Italy finally figured out how to translate their results on the womens side to the mens side. A lot of nations failed to do so in the past. Japan has been dominating on the mens side but is rather weak on the womens side, Romania has also historically been much weaker on the mens side and the same is true to some extent for the US.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Just now, OlympicsFan said:

Then it was really unexpected ... :yikes:

Still, where can we see the results and why don't you at least post the medallists here if you know the results? :mumble:

I guess Italy finally figured out how to translate their results on the womens side to the mens side. A lot of nations failed to do so in the past. Japan has been dominating on the mens side but is rather weak on the womens side, Romania has also historically been much weaker on the mens side and the same is true to some extent for the US.

https://live.fig-gymnastics.com/schedule.php?idevent=16020

11 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Italy here is missing three of their best (two pulled out because of light injuries in the last few days), there seem to be a decent depth now so I think the team will do fine but not enough to be close to a medal.

Among other teams stronger than Italy on paper imo you surely have to add Romania with 3 girls who already did well last year.