website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2018

uk12points

4 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

I am lost for words, I can't believe what I am seeing..... why is no one helping Callum Hawkins? What a disgrace! And those people taking photos of him instead of being proactive in getting him help!

He will be DQd then... 

8 horas atrás, intoronto disse:

-Gymnastics: The number is adequate enough across both disciplines. Not sure what to suggest here.

Honestly, I don't know why rhythmic gymnastics was added to the program while trampoline and even acrobatic gymnastics were not. No Commonwealth nation, except for Canada, has even remotely remarkable achievements in rhythmic gymnastics -- Canada has a gold medal at the Olympics and a bronze medal at the World Cup, but all the other nations are waaaay behind in this sport. In trampoline, Canada, Great Britain and New Zealand are quite strong -- and even South Africa and Namibia are building interesting programs.

Edited by thiago_simoes

7 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Honestly, I don't know why rhythmic gymnastics was added to the program while trampoline and even acrobatic gymnastics were not. No Commonwealth nation, except for Canada, has even remotely remarkable achievements in rhythmic gymnastics -- Canada has a gold medal at the Olympics and a bronze medal at the World Cup, but all the other nations are waaaay behind in this sport. In trampoline, Canada, Great Britain and New Zealand are quite strong -- and even South Africa and Namibia are building interesting programs.

Worth remembering that Lori Fung was, and I’m being generous here, extremely lucky to win her Olympic gold medal. It isn’t indicative of Canada’s strenght (or lack therof) in rhythmic gymnastic.

I agree with you though, and I think trampoline (including double mini and tumbling) should replace rhythmic on the program.

Edited by NearPup

47 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

It was added for 1990, in New Zealand. 

I can only think of three reasons:

1) Really unpredictable sport (even looking here at the difference in results from one day to the other)

2) Low cost sport to add as it can share a venue/staff with artistic gymnastics

3) Helps grow an Olympic sport where its not really contested at a high level. 

56 minutos atrás, Nate River disse:

Worth remembering that Lori Fung was, and I’m being generous here, extremely lucky to win her Olympic gold medal. It isn’t indicative of Canada’s strenght (or lack therof) in rhythmic gymnastic.

I agree with you though, and I think trampoline (including double mini and tumbling) should replace rhythmic on the program.

She was lucky not to have Soviet, Bulgarian and North Korean gymnasts competing against her, but she was still able to beat gymnasts from strong nations such as Germany, Spain and Japan (and Romania, though the country had never had any good results in this sport before 1984). But I agree that the most significant medal Canada has ever earned was at the World Cup in 1990. All the big guns competed against Fuzesi, so walking away with a medal was nothing short of extraordinary. 

8 hours ago, vinipereira said:

I think that was the first Netball match I've watched, and I enjoyed quite a bit. Great game by Jamaica!

the only annoying thing about this sport for me is that letting the player from other team to shoot the ball without any defence as long as she's close from the basket , but overall not bad and the score changes maybe faster than basketball 

:NGR Aruna Quadri lost in men's table tennis final against :SGP Ning Gao 4-2 , while Singapore also won in Mixed Doubles , in Badminton England and Malaysia won 2 gold medals out of 5 events and the remaining gold went to Saina Nehwal after defeating her team mate Vinkata Pusarla 2-0  , Lee Chong Wei won hes 3rd gold in men's singles after defeating Wo.1 :IND Srikanth Kidambi 2-1