website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2018

uk12points

end of super saturday for india .... 8 golds , 5 silver and 4 bronze ........ India a clear third on the medal charts ..a huge 10 golds ahead of SA/CAN... In fact I feel Englands total gets inflated because of 16 extra events in swimming compared to the olympics( a huge 50 events in swimming )  and 10 extra track cycling events ( a ridiculous 20 events in cycling )  ..... and - (6) standard events in Greco roman wrestling and ( -3 ) events in olympic shooting ... if we had played with a standard olymic events in all sports with 2-3 extra events which I would  consider normal ...  India would have at least 8-9 extra golds and England at least 6-7 less golds which would have made India almost reaching england ....... But I believe we must take the white mans burden :d.... In the next games They plan to drop shooting altogether and add a a few more non standard events in swimming/ cycling  I am sure to ensure they stay ahead ...... 

Maybe Canada and SA  also may catch up........... :yes ( to all the canadians in the forum )

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

1 hour ago, nitinsanker said:

end of super saturday for india .... 8 golds , 5 silver and 4 bronze ........ India a clear third on the medal charts ..a huge 10 golds ahead of SA/CAN... In fact I feel Englands total gets inflated because of 16 extra events in swimming compared to the olympics( a huge 50 events in swimming )  and 10 extra track cycling events ( a ridiculous 20 events in cycling )  ..... and - (6) standard events in Greco roman wrestling and ( -3 ) events in olympic shooting ... if we had played with a standard olymic events in all sports with 2-3 extra events which I would  consider normal ...  India would have at least 8-9 extra golds and England at least 6-7 less golds which would have made India almost reaching england ....... But I believe we must take the white mans burden :d.... In the next games They plan to drop shooting altogether and add a a few more non standard events in swimming/ cycling  I am sure to ensure they stay ahead ...... 

Maybe Canada and SA  also may catch up........... :yes ( to all the canadians in the forum )

England only won 3 gold medals in track cycling and only 1 gold in a non-Olympic swimming event. If you are talking about the para events in track cycling and swimming then England won 4 gold medals in them but they are a very important part of the event programme now.

3 hours ago, uk12points said:

England only won 3 gold medals in track cycling and only 1 gold in a non-Olympic swimming event. If you are talking about the para events in track cycling and swimming then England won 4 gold medals in them but they are a very important part of the event programme now.

look the maths is clear ........UK won 12 Golds in non olympic events / para disciplines ..... I am not 100% sure but it will be around that , this would include                                                                                                                                                      events like queens pair etc ...

.............................................India just won 2 golds in non olympic events / para disciplines  ( double trap and mixed badminton ) 

so the medal tally if the core olympic disciplines is taken the scorecard would be 30 Golds for England and 23 to India 

now add the excluded olympic events in the sports already  in the CWG ..... 9 events - 6 Greco roman in wrestling and 3 in shooting - 10metres mixed in pistol and 10 metres mixed  in rifle and mixed trap ...... In these 9 events India surely would take 4-5 golds  in Mens GR and in the first two shooting events India would be overwhelming favourites ......

so add 6-7 Golds to Indias Tally ..... quite obviously ENG and IND would be neck to neck in Golds ......

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

3 hours ago, uk12points said:

Also every decision taken in the last 4-5 cycles of CWG has been helpful to the Aus/ UK duopoly ( and by incidental association CAN and SA )

and not helpful to the Asian , African countries ......... Thats why I called this the white mans burden. Look at the decisions  

1. reduction of seperate medals in pairs in shooting - Hurt India , Singapore 

2. removal of seperate medals in Lifting - Hurt Pacific nations and India 

3. adding non standard swimming medals - helped  UK/ Aus/ CAN/ NZ

4. adding more non standard track cycling events - helped UK / Aus / NZ

5. adding para event medals to the main medal tally - helped Uk/ Aus  the most 

6. Now - removing the Shooting from the games compelety in Birmingham - Hurts India the most - this was an extremely rude cut ...... I do not believe England says they do not have the facilities to conduct shooting !!!!

Edited by nitinsanker

11 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Hopefully these games are a blip in the radar for Canada. Probably the worst multi sports games in recent memory for Canada. I fully expect a return to 3rd place in time for Birmingham 2022 and onward.

I am sure with Shooting( India- 7 golds in CWG 2018 )  completely dropped in CWG 2022 this may be easier to do ..... but I hope India still can hold because they have improved further by then especially in  Athletics ,Gymnastics and lawn bowls   and who knows even swimming 

6 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

I am sure with Shooting( India- 7 golds in CWG 2018 )  completely dropped in CWG 2022 this may be easier to do ..... but I hope India still can hold because they have improved further by then especially in  Athletics ,Gymnastics and lawn bowls   and who knows even swimming 

I'd bet that shooting will be added as the 18th sport like beach volleyball was here. This sport allows many small nations to compete. Dumb decision to omit it completely. THough I would prefer beach volleyball be added too. 17 seems like a low number for this event.

Edited by intoronto

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

I'd bet that shooting will be added as the 18th sport like beach volleyball was here. This sport allows many small nations to compete. Dumb decision to omit it completely.

see my above comment on the UK/AUS duopoly .. to be honest these two countries spend on doing the games so they take the decisions ..... I wish they would look at sports like taekwondo and archery too - this would really benefit african and asian nations like bangladesh, malaysia  and improve sports in these countries ... and frankly they do not add much to the cost

Also, what a games for :SRI winning 6 medals! The most ever for them. Though it could be argued that the 3 boxing medals were because of a favourable draw, but one of them knocked down the Indian gold medalist twice in his match... so there was potential.