website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Qualification Systems

so if I understood correctly the mixed doubles curling system. the top 12 teams from this years world champs will inscribe points for the ranking. 1st 14 pts, 2nd 12pts, 3rd 11pts  and etc untill the 12th 1pt. and the next years worlds we will have the same, and only the top 7 teams from this ranking will go to Pyeongchang?

we will finish 9th or 10th this year so it´s 4 or 3 points, but we will need a mirracle next year to go up to the top 7 then :(

• 2 weeks later...

Most likely the Ice hockey tournament will be without NHL players. René Fassel the president of the IIHF said that it´s very unlikely that we will have the NHLers in Pyeongchang...http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/international/ct-nhl-olympics-pyeongchang-20160503-story.html

so maybe South Korea will win a medal in ice hockey then :lol:

On 4/4/2016 at 08:04, intoronto said:

Some changes from 2014 (besides the biathlon one listed above)

-Freestyle skiing max quota per nation has increased to 30 from 26, meaning we will see less countries taking part in the sport in 2018

-Ski jumping: 5 more women quotas, 5 less men quotas

-Snowboarding: max quota per nation has increased to 26 from 24; overall sport quota has increased by 6

I don't really buy that less nations will take part in Freestyle Skiing. Not all quotas where allocated in Sochi (there where eight quotas nobody wanted / could accept) and only three countries hit the 26 athletes limit. Hopefully by increasing the limit to 30 all quotas will actually be distributed. Plus, honestly, it created some really silly situations in countries like Canada where ski cross athletes would compete against aerials athletes for the same quota. That problem won't go away (both Canada and the US where over 30 in Sochi) but it will relieve a bit of pressure.

The other big change in Ski Jumping is that the maximum size of a men's team is now 4, down from 5. So there is no longer any way to bring someone just for the normal hill or the big hill competition.

Edit: I love how the solution to the Netherlands sweeping the 10k was "oh, lets just allow two athletes by NOC!"

Edited by Near

1 hour ago, hckosice said:

Most likely the Ice hockey tournament will be without NHL players. René Fassel the president of the IIHF said that it´s very unlikely that we will have the NHLers in Pyeongchang...http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/international/ct-nhl-olympics-pyeongchang-20160503-story.html

so maybe South Korea will win a medal in ice hockey then :lol:

It won’t be that bad. While all of the top nations will suffer, especially the United States the European leagues still have decent players. If they can convince the AHL to suspend their season during the Olympics things will look a lot better too.

15 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

It won’t be that bad. While all of the top nations will suffer, especially the United States the European leagues still have decent players. If they can convince the AHL to suspend their season during the Olympics things will look a lot better too.

well, In some way you´re right, last time we had a non-NHL tournament was the Lillehammer 1994, and yes oh god, it was an exceptional and fantastic tournament during one unrepeatable awesome olympics.

but in other hand, It would be very sad. It´s a fabulous tournament we are all wainting for 4 years, so it would be unfortunate to don´t see the top players in such holiday. The olympics should be a event for mainly the best athletes in the sport.

2 hours ago, hckosice said:

well, In some way you´re right, last time we had a non-NHL tournament was the Lillehammer 1994, and yes oh god, it was an exceptional and fantastic tournament during one unrepeatable awesome olympics.

but in other hand, It would be very sad. It´s a fabulous tournament we are all wainting for 4 years, so it would be unfortunate to don´t see the top players in such holiday. The olympics should be a event for mainly the best athletes in the sport.

I agree. My (unlikely) hope would be for the players whose contracts are set to expire between now and the Olympics force the teams to put in a clause to allow them to participate in the Olympics. Stamkos would be a great person to approach about this. His contract is expired after this season and he hasn’t played at the Olympics. He was controversially left out in 2010 (“too young”) and in 2014 he was injured.

It will cause quite the media stir, but at the same time teams will still want to sign him because he’s Stamkos.

• 1 month later...

I've got a question about the biathlon qualification and more specifically about reallocations.

Under "F. Reallocation of unused quota places" the document says "Not applicable". However, in May 2017 NOC's who won quota places in the World Cup Nations Cup have to confirm the use of these places. It is of course possible again that not every nation will use every quota place. Now my question is, what will happen with unused quota places? Since the document says "not applicable", does that mean they will be "thrown away" instead of reallocated? And if they are reallocated, who would you guess would get these tickets? Nations that are next in line in the World Cup Nations Cup or do you guys think there will be more than 5-6 athletes who might qualify with the "D4" criteria mentioned in the document?

I'm guessing the IOC wants to have exactly 115 male and female athletes at the Olympics, so I almost can't even imagine that unused places won't be reallocated....this "Not applicable" is confusing and worrying me though. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 2 months later...

Why can we only find the documents on the website of the Portuguese NOC by the way? I can't find them on for example the IBU's website..I'm still waiting for them to update something about the reallocation of unused quotas which worries me :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

22 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Why can we only find the documents on the website of the Portuguese NOC by the way? I can't find them on for example the IBU's website..I'm still waiting for them to update something about the reallocation of unused quotas which worries me :p 

FIS and thr ISU has them up. IBU is the worst when it comes to these type of things. It can also indicate there are changes not finalized yet.

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

FIS and thr ISU has them up. IBU is the worst when it comes to these type of things. It can also indicate there are changes not finalized yet.

Thanks, IBU is the only one I'm already very much interested in. I just can't understand why it still says "Not applicable" under the reallocation of unused quota places, but alright.