website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Qualification Systems

Hi guys, I need help with one thing.

With the upcoming Figure Skating World Championships coming up, I want to know what Javier Fernandez needed to do so Spain can had three quotas in men singles.

9 minutes ago, Jur said:

Hi guys, I need help with one thing.

With the upcoming Figure Skating World Championships coming up, I want to know what Javier Fernandez needed to do so Spain can had three quotas in men singles.

Nothing he can do about that, since Raya is apparently on the entry list.

It's a weird qualification system. If Fernandez was the only Spaniard competing, then he would have to finish 1st or 2nd to qualify 3 athletes. But since Raya is competing, the sum of their finishing places has to be 13 or less for 3 athletes. That's impossible for Raya.

#banbestmen

7 hours ago, dcro said:

Nothing he can do about that, since Raya is apparently on the entry list.

It's a weird qualification system. If Fernandez was the only Spaniard competing, then he would have to finish 1st or 2nd to qualify 3 athletes. But since Raya is competing, the sum of their finishing places has to be 13 or less for 3 athletes. That's impossible for Raya.

So, wait. Spain has a better chance to qualify 3 athletes when they only have 1 athlete at the WCH instead of 2? And still they decide to send 2? It's almost as if they don't know the rules (or are planning not to send Raya anyway).. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

So, wait. Spain has a better chance to qualify 3 athletes when they only have 1 athlete at the WCH instead of 2? And still they decide to send 2? It's almost as if they don't know the rules (or are planning not to send Raya anyway).. 

Exactly, it's ridiculous all the way.

Especially the part that a nation with one good skater gets to have 3 quotas if their best finishes 1st or 2nd... :wacko:

#banbestmen

4 godziny temu, heywoodu napisał:

but maybe having 3 of them isn`t the main goal for Spain, do they care about the "number" of athletes in this case? I`m not that sure

I fell in love with sports.....since i first seen it

But, anyway, that look like stupid rules for qualifiying.

If you're on the top2 of WCH and there's only one athlete of your country it's because the others aren't good enough to fulfit the minimum marks, why award them with 3 places?

19 minutes ago, Jur said:

But, anyway, that look like stupid rules for qualifiying.

If you're on the top2 of WCH and there's only one athlete of your country it's because the others aren't good enough to fulfit the minimum marks, why award them with 3 places?

It's pretty tough to find the perfect way to do it. Because a country's quotas can change a lot. The quota system for the worlds are after all pretty much the same as for the Olympics, meaning that unless you have a constantly (very) strong team, your number of participants will change a lot. You could potentially have 3 skaters going through to the free skate and still only get one spot for the next worlds (or the Olympics)