website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Qualification Systems

On 4/2/2016 at 11:21 AM, uk12points said:

QUALIFICATION PROCEDURE

Biathlon

Women Only NOCs which have not been allocated quota places through D.1, D.2 or D.3 will be eligible to be allocated up to a maximum of (2) quota places.

Eligible Athletes earn quota places for their respective NOCs in rank order from the most current IBU qualifying points list (22 January 2018), maximum two (2) quota places per NOC.

If the host nation has not been allocated quota places through D.1, D.2, D.3, or D.4 and it has athletes able to fulfil the athlete eligibility in Section C, it will receive the final quota places issued through D.4, to start in individual competitions

This is so annoying, because as far as I know, IBU never actually publishes this list and it's nearly undoable to keep track of it yourself, manually...

Obviously this is important for me, with my best friend being in the hunt for a ticket and all, and I don't see Brazil being in the top-22 in the Nations World Cup within 2 seasons. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Some changes from 2014 (besides the biathlon one listed above)

-Freestyle skiing max quota per nation has increased to 30 from 26, meaning we will see less countries taking part in the sport in 2018

-Ski jumping: 5 more women quotas, 5 less men quotas

-Snowboarding: max quota per nation has increased to 26 from 24; overall sport quota has increased by 6

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Some changes from 2014 (besides the biathlon one listed above)

-Freestyle skiing max quota per nation has increased to 30 from 26, meaning we will see less countries taking part in the sport in 2018

-Ski jumping: 5 more women quotas, 5 less men quotas

-Snowboarding: max quota per nation has increased to 26 from 24; overall sport quota has increased by 6

I doubt the ski jumping one is a good one...men's ski jumping is so much more competitive in general, we really just don't need 5 more women. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

a3fbe69656.png

What exactly does this mean in the biathlon qualification system? If a country wins 5 quota places but only uses for example 1, there will be 4 less athletes at the start instead of the next nations in the Nations Cup gaining a ticket? :yikes:

That would be f*cked up, because I'm sort of putting some hope on countries giving up 1 or 2 tickets here and there in order for Brazil to get a better chance..

26 minutes ago, uk12points said:

Is it me or are these qualification procedures incredibly complicated to understand??

Which do you mean exactly?

At least team sports qualifications are usually quite easy to understand :d 

For 2014, the reallocation part of the qualifying document said this:

If some NOCs do not fill their quota, free quota places can be given to NOCs with qualified athletes ranked over the limits stated above (see the phrase marked with * above).

IBU Member Federations which are not placed within the first 28 for men and 27 for women in the NOC Quota Ranking List are advised to approach their NOC for provisional entering of one male and one female biathlete for the reallocation process by 21 Jan 2014.

The IBU will assign, based on open quota spaces, one quota space each, to the NOCs from rank 28 onward for the men and rank 27 onward for the women on the NOC Quota Ranking List as soon as possible. These athletes must have reached the IBU technical standards for participation at the Olympic Winter Games 2014 (see detailed Qualification System).

Now it only says "Not applicable".

I'm seriously worried about what this will mean exactly. If that means there will be no reallocation of unused quotas (of which there will probably be a few), Bruna Moura will need to improve in a seriously miraculous way in the next one and a half season in order to have a chance for the 5 or 6 IBU Qualifying Points List quotas..

This whole thing is just breaking my brains :p 

I have made a list of all IBU Qualifying Points (of the now finished season) for all female athletes from countries that were not in the World Cup Nations Cup top-20. Nations 21 and 22 (Japan and Lithuania) will also get tickets, but the top-20 seems to be pretty stable and the 21st and 22nd countries might easily change next season, which is why I did it like that.

The results, taking in account the average of the best 3 results of every athlete (or the proper adjustments in the case of only 1 or 2 results in the entire season):

c1c7fabdad.png

27f488e830.png

Green = Athletes from Japan or Lithuania, who would in the last season have qualified through the Nations Cup and therefore wouldn't matter in this list.

Red = Athletes who already have at least 2 athletes of the same country above them - countries can only qualify 2 quota places through the IBU Qualifying Points List

Therefore, in the system where there is absolutely 0 reallocation, LAT and KOR would receive 1 quota, EST and CHN would each receive 2 and that's it, meaning the line is at 91,60 points (World Cup-level).

However, in a system where there is reallocation and for example the next three countries in the Nations Cup would also get 1 or 2 tickets (EST, CHN and KOR), suddenly the quota places in this list would be won by Bendika, Lightfoot, Szöcs, Karisik, Padial and....Muizniece, who has only 191 points...a HUGE difference! 

This is why the Brazilian federation will try to find out as soon as possible whether or not there will be reallocation in the case of unused quotas, because it would be pretty weird in my opinion to not reallocate unused quotas.