website statistics

Taekwondo WT Grand Prix 2019

phelps

20 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

Our federation announced that that Seif Essa in men's -80 kg already guaranteed a place in Tokyo 

obviously they are looking at the current ranking and that's why they said that , Seif Essa is 5th and all athletes below him are eliminated , so that's easy conclusion

but they are wrong. and let's hope your athlete doesn't count on that. I saw his reaction after the defeat when he was thanking God  (even though he somehow got robbed with those cheap punch points but that's another matter) it seems he feels he is already qualified.

there will be points deduction each month, that's why you can't trust the current ranking. you have to consider those points deduction first.

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

obviously they are looking at the current ranking and that's why they said that , Seif Essa is 5th and all athletes below him are eliminated , so that's easy conclusion

but they are wrong. and let's hope your athlete doesn't count on that. I saw his reaction after the defeat when he was thanking God  (even though he somehow got robbed with those cheap punch points but that's another matter) it seems he feels he is already qualified.

there will be points deduction each month, that's why you can't trust the current ranking. you have to consider those points deduction first.

thanks for explaining , so if he wins tomorrow he will guarantee a place right ? 

9 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

thanks for explaining , so if he wins tomorrow he will guarantee a place right ? 

I made some quick calculations, here is the points between those candidates after the deduction before this event. I didn't consider the top 3 as they have far more points

as you can see Seif Essa will lose more points simply because he collected more points in month of December in previous years.

UZB 278.27

ESP 273.96

CRO 271.58

EGY 262.58

this is how it looks like for all of them now, for now I count 4th place finish for both Essa and Rafalovich

4) UZB 278.27+17.28=295.55

5) ESP 273.96+12.1=286.06

6) CRO 271.58+12.1=283.68

7) EGY 262.58+17.28=279.86

there will be 11pts difference between 4th place and bronze medal. there is no way he can finish 6th (and waiting for the Grand Slam), it will be either 5th or 7th. which means direct qualification or nothing.

5 godzin temu, MHSN napisał:

by taking a quick look at the ranking, it seems these athletes are "safe" to qualify. or at least it looked obvious to me, only for 68kg I considered 6 because it's already a sure thing nobody can mathematically win the Grand Slam quota.

@prso1000 correct me if I was wrong anywhere

Men's 58kg: :KOR:ESP:IRI:RUS:ITA

Men's 68kg: :KOR:GBR:CHN:ESP:BEL:IRI

Men's 80kg: :RUS:AZE:CIV:UZB

Men's +80kg: :RUS:KOR:GER

Women's 49kg: :THA:KOR:TUR:SRB

Women's 57kg: :GBR:KOR:RUS:TUR:CAN

Women's 67kg: :TUR:GBR:CHN:CRO:CIV

Women's +67kg: :GBR:CHN:KOR:SRB

What about Kowalczuk? She still have chance to qualify via ranking?

26 minutes ago, rybak said:

What about Kowalczuk? She still have chance to qualify via ranking?

Check my post in the Taekwondo Olympic Qualification thread with more details

but she will finish 6th place for sure  and has to wait for the Grand Slam winner, she won't qualify only if anybody outside of the list (top 5 in WR) wins the GS series. highly unlikely. I can say she is 90% qualified.

I'm updating my previous post about the qualified athletes. this time I made the calculations and I'm 100% sure

Men's 58kg: :KOR:ESP:IRI:RUS:ITA

Men's 68kg: :KOR:GBR:CHN:ESP:BEL:IRI

Men's 80kg: :RUS:AZE:CIV:UZB

Men's +80kg: :RUS:KOR:GER

Women's 49kg: :THA:KOR:TUR:SRB:CHN:CRO

Women's 57kg: :GBR:KOR:RUS:TUR:CAN:CHN

Women's 67kg: :TUR:GBR:CHN:CRO:CIV

Women's +67kg: :GBR:CHN:KOR:SRB:TUR

* Croatia and China at 49kg are not mathematically qualified but only a miracle can change that. so it's fair to say they are qualified

Turkey and China will have full team in women's taekwondo, still possible for South Korea but Oh Hye-Ri has to win the GS and also needs Williams and Gabgbi lose early.

South Korea is the only country capable of having a full men's team in Tokyo. they have a chance at 80kg via Grand Slam.

almost nothing to be decided on the women's side tomorrow but on the men's side there will be 3 crucial matches, 80kg bronze medal match and both medal matches at +80kg.