:CRO CRO,  0 / 1 / 1
:MAR MAR,  0 / 1 / 0
:UZB UZB,  0 / 0 / 2
:BRA BRA,  0 / 0 / 1
:ITA ITA,  0 / 0 / 1
:MEX MEX,  0 / 0 / 1
:ESP ESP,  0 / 0 / 1
:SRB SRB,  0 / 0 / 1

best outcome for Italy since a very, very long time...

Dell'Aquila was back on the podium (and he also beat world's no.3 Tortosa Cabrera once again), losing to his bete noir Jang Jun as always, but this time not by such a big margin ("only" 12-6...and accumulating only 1 "yellow card" through the whole match)...

and all the points scored in Japan take him closer to the Olympic Qualification through the WGP Ranking...

and Simone Alessio, finally healthy and fit, proved he's for real also in the -80kg class...the world title earlier in the season (in the -74kg class) wasn't a one-hit wonder...today he reached the quarterfinals (beating, among others, his teammate Roberto Botta), where he lost to Harchegani by a narrow margin (13-15), almost creating a big upset...

he doesn't have any chance to qualify through the WGP Ranking, but now I'm a lot more optimist about him getting the Olympic Quota next year in the European Qualification tournament (which will be held in Milan...and this also could help)...

and once he's flying to Japan next Summer, I wouldn't like to fight against him, especially in the early rounds (and even if my name is Beigi Harchergani or any other medal candidate)...

Edited by phelps

• 1 month later...

2 bronze medals for Iran in first day of GP Sofia. but the only athlete I was worried about lost in the QF. Mirhashem Hosseini got robbed blatantly against the Korean legend Lee Dae-hoon. Mirhashem was leading by something like 10pts almost the entire match but the center ref disqualified him with 10 cautions . at least half of them nonsense calls :thumbdown:

I don't know why Hosseini is always unlucky. first the denied visa for the worlds and now this (which was at least a silver medal because he had to face another Iranian in SF) now his Olympic qualification is in trouble again. seriously if Iran manages to qualify 2 quotas through ranking by someone else than Hosseini, I would withdraw one of them to make room for Hosseini participating at the Asian Olympic Qualifiers, he is clearly a gold medal chance in Tokyo.

looking at 68kg ranking, :KOR:GBR:CHN are already qualified, 2 or maybe 3 spots are still up for grab with only 1 GP left. hopefully Hosseini will take one of those spots. :pope:

Just now, MHSN said:

2 bronze medals for Iran in first day of GP Sofia. but the only athlete I was worried about lost in the QF. Mirhashem Hosseini got robbed blatantly against the Korean legend Lee Dae-hoon. Mirhashem was leading by something like 10pts almost the entire match but the center ref disqualified him with 10 cautions . at least half of them nonsense calls :thumbdown:

I don't know why Hosseini is always unlucky. first the denied visa for the worlds and now this (which was at least a silver medal because he had to face another Iranian in SF) now his Olympic qualification is in trouble again. seriously if Iran manages to qualify 2 quotas through ranking by someone else than Hosseini, I would withdraw one of them to make room for Hosseini participating at the Asian Olympic Qualifiers, he is clearly a gold medal chance in Tokyo.

looking at 68kg ranking, :KOR:GBR:CHN are already qualified, 2 or maybe 3 spots are still up for grab with only 1 GP left. hopefully Hosseini will take one of those spots. :pope:

I don’t agree he was robbed

all the cautions were ok in my opinion

and when he was dsq the Korean guy was already in front. 

The mistake was that he did not defend the 10 points lead. And it was bad luck with the draw. 

I think he will qualify anyway as he is currently the No 2 in the 68kg. 

The other two spots could be decided at the European championship 

52 minutes ago, prso1000 said:

I don’t agree he was robbed

all the cautions were ok in my opinion

and when he was dsq the Korean guy was already in front. 

The mistake was that he did not defend the 10 points lead. And it was bad luck with the draw. 

I think he will qualify anyway as he is currently the No 2 in the 68kg. 

The other two spots could be decided at the European championship 

half of them were for "grabbing" I didn't see any kind of grabbing. specially in first period when scored 2 punches ! I mean it's not easy to grab by one hand and punch by other hand !! (because when you score a punch you have to score from the distance , not close range) I'm hearing from official referees that 5 of those cautions were wrong. (of course maybe Iranian refs are biased but we are not talking about 1 or 2 but 5 cautions)

yes he was behind at the time (only by 1 point though) but if you watched the match (which you did) he lost focus because of the cautions because he had to change his style to avoid more cautions. of course against such a great athlete like Lee those kind of mistakes will be costly. I also blame our coach for not using his video replay card, specially for both of those punches in first period. he used his card once and it worked. they annulled one of the cautions and they would annul 2-3 more if our coach was smart to use it. but maybe it's easy to say now, it's not a good idea to use your video replay card early in first period.

no he is not #2 in Olympic ranking which is different than World Ranking, he is 6th and in my ranking he is 5th. (I calculate my own version of ranking. removing those points WT will remove later) after today the ranking is something like this

updated correct ranking

:KOR Lee 487

:GBR Sinden 369

:CHN Zhao 364

:JOR Abughaush 302

:IRI Hosseini 293

:ESP Perez 274

:BEL Achab 272

:TPE Huang 260

:CRO Brecic 258

:BRA Pontes 249

:RUS Denisenko 246

btw do you know why Brecic wasn't here ? injured ? or being smart preparing for the easier tournament in Bari ?

from this list almost all of them already won the max 40pts they could collect from G1/G2 events except Pontes (can collect 25pts more), Hosseini (4pts) and Abughaush (10pts) . so in fact there are only 2 events left. the European tournament in Bari and Final GP in Moscow. I expect both Perez and Achab to surpass Hosseini after the European tournament. Hosseini needs to win a big result in Moscow.

Edited by MHSN

Just now, MHSN said:

half of them were for "grabbing" I didn't see any kind of grabbing. specially in first period when scored 2 punches ! I mean it's not easy to grab by one hand and punch by other hand !! (because when you score a punch you have to score from the distance , not close range) I'm hearing from official referees that 5 of those cautions were wrong. (of course maybe Iranian refs are biased but we are not talking about 1 or 2 but 5 cautions)

yes he was behind at the time (only by 1 point though) but if you watched the match (which you did) he lost focus because of the cautions because he had to change his style to avoid more cautions. of course against such a great athlete like Lee those kind of mistakes will be costly. I also blame our coach for not using his video replay card, specially for both of those punches in first period. he used his card once and it worked. they annulled one of the cautions and they would annul 2-3 more if our coach was smart to use it. but maybe it's easy to say now, it's not a good idea to use your video replay card early in first period.

no he is not #2 in Olympic ranking which is different than World Ranking, he is 6th and in my ranking he is 5th. (I calculate my own version of ranking. removing those points WT will remove later) after today the ranking is something like this

:KOR Lee 477

:GBR Sinden 369

:CHN Zhao 359

:JOR Abughaush 298

:IRI Hosseini 283

:ESP Perez 274

:BEL Achab 272

:TPE Huang 257

:CRO Brecic 248

:RUS Denisenko 246

:BRA Pontes 229

btw do you know why Brecic wasn't here ? injured ? or being smart preparing for the easier tournament in Bari ?

from this list almost all of them already won the max 40pts they could collect from G1/G2 events except Pontes (can collect 25pts more), Hosseini (4pts) and Abughaush (10pts) . so in fact there are only 2 events left. the European tournament in Bari and Final GP in Moscow. I expect both Perez and Achab to surpass Hosseini after the European tournament. Hosseini needs to win a big result in Moscow.

I like Ahmadi more

i think i already wrote once that Hosseini way of fighting is „dirty“. The cautions were ok, I don’t know much about Wrestling ? , but I would dare to say I am an Taekwondo almost expert :) 

i did not say he is number 2 in ranking but looking at recent performance/results he is No 2 and should at the Grand Prix Final make his ticket to Tokio Safe. Although to be frank I hope he will not manage. 

Your provisional ranking is wrong by the way. Brecic has 258, he won Bosnia Open last week, I guess he is injured or ill now. Pontes won 20 points at the Presidents Cup America’s. Hosseini should have 292 I think. 

The Europeans can grab 40 points at the ECH. Pontes still has some 25 points open from G1/2 tournaments. 

Zhao or Lee will win the Grand Slam which means 6 Go via ranking. The guys who win gold at ECH in 63 and 68 will have good chances. 

Just now, prso1000 said:

Your provisional ranking is wrong by the way. Brecic has 258, he won Bosnia Open last week, I guess he is injured or ill now. Pontes won 20 points at the Presidents Cup America’s. Hosseini should have 292 I think. 

The Europeans can grab 40 points at the ECH. Pontes still has some 25 points open from G1/2 tournaments. 

Zhao or Lee will win the Grand Slam which means 6 Go via ranking. The guys who win gold at ECH in 63 and 68 will have good chances. 

oh thanks I didn't have the minor tournament results. yes Brecic still could get points from minor tournaments which he did. Pontes now has a good chance because as you said he still can win 25 more points (G2 event from his own continent doesn't count)

no I wish you were right about Hosseini but he has 282.87.

I'm going to update the ranking and fix those 2 scores for Pontes and Brecic. Pontes wasn't here too. maybe he is in China for the CISM Games ?! :mumble: that's G2.

but whoever wins the Euro will be in a very good position.

Sofia Grand Prix

Day #1, Medallists Recap

men's -58kg
Gold: :KOR Jang Jun
Silver: :KOR Kim Tae-Hun
Bronze: :ITA Vito Dell'Aquila & :IRI Armin Hadipour

women's -57kg
Gold: :CHN Zhou Lijun
Silver: :KOR Lee Ah-Reum
Bronze: :RUS Tatiana Kudashova & :TUR Hatice Kubra Ilgun

men's -68kg
Gold: :CHN Zhao Shuai