website statistics

Taekwondo WT Grand Prix 2019

phelps

breaking news...

as expected our first ever world champion (at the non-Olympic weight of -74kg), Simone Alessio, finally chose to go up in the men's -80kg class, instead of trying a very diffcult cut at 68kg...

this is of course the most logical and probably the best decision he could take, but unfortunately it means that 1 between him and Roberto Botta (our second best athlete overall) won't even have a real shot to try to qualify for the Olympic Games, as right now they are fighting in the same weight class...

On 06/06/2019 at 02:14, phelps said:

breaking news...

as expected our first ever world champion (at the non-Olympic weight of -74kg), Simone Alessio, finally chose to go up in the men's -80kg class, instead of trying a very diffcult cut at 68kg...

this is of course the most logical and probably the best decision he could take, but unfortunately it means that 1 between him and Roberto Botta (our second best athlete overall) won't even have a real shot to try to qualify for the Olympic Games, as right now they are fighting in the same weight class...

He may have to move up to +80kg

1 hour ago, thepharoah said:

@phelps  is there a site or Facebook page that covers results of the tournament ? or live stream court 3 which's totally unviewed on WT page 

as far as I know, unfortunately not...

not even the Italian Federation's website covers all the results, they only posted on Twitter our embarassing series of 1st round losses and stop...:facepalm:

18 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

He may have to move up to +80kg

it would be a good idea, but I doubt our federation would encourage this move...I think they already chose to bet all of their money on Dell'Aquila in the -58kg and Alessio in the -80kg class...if any Italian male is going to Tokyo, it must be 1 (or both) of those 2...

finally Lee Dae-hoon lost to an Iranian athlete for the first time in his career. :bounce: to Mirhashem Hosseini in the final. Hosseini was the same guy UK denied visa for the World Championship. now he proved he was really a gold medal candidate.

while it was a very good result for him, still he needs to win the rest of remaining Grand Prix to qualify for the Olympics :cry: almost mission impossible. there will be no chance for him if we qualify two athletes via ranking (which is very possible now) but if that was up to me I would withdraw one of those quotas to make room for Mirhashem.

Mardani also won the bronze at +80kg. as usual he was painful to watch. :facepalm: he was lucky with the draw to win a bronze here.

4 minutes ago, MHSN said:

finally Lee Dae-hoon lost to an Iranian athlete for the first time in his career. :bounce: to Mirhashem Hosseini in the final. Hosseini was the same guy UK denied visa for the World Championship. now he proved he was really a gold medal candidate.

while it was a very good result for him, still he needs to win the rest of remaining Grand Prix to qualify for the Olympics :cry: almost mission impossible. there will be no chance for him if we qualify two athletes via ranking (which is very possible now) but if that was up to me I would withdraw one of those quotas to make room for Mirhashem.

Mardani also won the bronze at +80kg. as usual he was painful to watch. :facepalm: he was lucky with the draw to win a bronze here.

Honestly Hosseini did not deserve to win, but ok that is sport

4 minutes ago, prso1000 said:

Honestly Hosseini did not deserve to win, but ok that is sport

and who deserved to win exactly ? I assume you know scores in TKD are based on electronic system and not human. as far as I remember Hashem had just one or two points receiving from the human refs (Lee had much more) if someone can complain about the officiating that wouldn't be Lee DH for sure.

and he also destroyed the Olympic champion Zhao in semifinal. he beat two of his other opponents (Brecic and the American guy) by 20pts gap. and in the final he was leading from the start to finish. I don't know what else he could do to "deserves the win" :dunno: