website statistics

Who would you like to be your nation's flagbearer at Tokyo 2020?

As the title says, if it were your choice, who would you like to see as your nation's flagbearer at the Opening Ceremony of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. It might be the athlete you consider to be your number 1 hope of medal success, an inspiring individual with an interesting story or a long-term servant of the Olympic squad. Maybe even someone who would raise the profile of a minority sport in your nation. So who gets your pick?

For the Irish choice, I would have a few candidates to consider....

Natalya Coyle - Modern Pentathlon:

Tokyo 2020 would be her 3rd Olympic Games. She finished in the top 10 on the previous 2 occasions and has been a wonderful servant not only for Irish Modern Pentathlon, but for Irish sport in general. She always has a positive outlook and is always supportive of her team mates across all sports throughout the year.

O'Donovan brothers - Rowing:

While it would be hard to choose one over the other to fly the flag, perhaps they could have a joint effort in the Opening Ceremony. The O'Donovans have been a breath of fresh air since breaking onto the scene at the last Olympics and they are loved by the Irish public. They have inspired a new generation of Irish rowers and raised the profile of the sport in the country. Gold medallists at the 2018 World Championships as well as silver at the Olympics in 2016 means they would be totally deserving in every aspect to fly the tricolour.

Thomas Barr - Athletics:

4th place at the Rio Olympic Games in the men's 400m Hurdles. A true gent and one of the nice guys of athletics. He makes time for everyone and gives so much back to the sport. He always produces his best when it matters and I would love to see him honoured like this, especially after narrowly missing that Olympic podium in Rio.

Ciara Mageean - Athletics:

Another athlete who is one of the most down-to-earth, nice people you could meet, always giving back to the sport. No one loves her country more than Ciara and she exudes this in every interview I have seen her give. She has had more than her fair share of ups and downs over the course of her career and it would be a thoroughly deserving choice if she was given the honour.

Rhys McClenaghan - Artistic Gymnastics:

European Champion 2018. Rhys has put Ireland on the map in gymnastics. Never before have we had a world-class gymnast who will be capable of going all the way in the men's pommel in Tokyo. Never one to shy away from competition or the spotlight, would be a really nice touch to see him walk into the stadium, leading the Irish team.

Rory McIlroy - Golf:

More the X-Factor choice than anything else. He would generate a lot of attention and maybe help raise the public interest in the Games. Also, he received a lot of criticism for right or for wrong after the last Olympic campaign where he pulled out before the Games and later said he would not be watching much of the Olympics. I guess you can say he has matured a lot but I think this would be a very controversial choice nonetheless. However, it would be inspiring for some of the young athletes in particular to be marching behind on the same team as one of the big sporting icons.

Judy Reynolds - Dressage:

Judy has raised the profile of Irish dressage which has been almost non-existant or on the margins for most of our history. Along with Vancouver K, she has put Ireland on the map in dressage, finishing in 4th place at the World Cup Finals in 2017 and would be deserving of the honour of flying the Irish flag in Tokyo.

Kellie Harrington - Boxing:
2018 World champion in women's lightweight division. For so many years she has been in the shadow of Ireland's great heroine, Katie Taylor. She is coming into her own at last and as a heroine of the working class Dublin community and demonstrating the potential of sport to change lives, it would be a worthy choice to have Kellie as the flagbearer.

My choice. I am really torn, I would love Natalya to be given the honour as she has been a magnificent servant of Irish sport over the years, not always getting the recognition she deserves, competing in a minor sport such as Modern Pentathlon. However, my pick goes to the young and charismatic gymnast, Rhys McClenaghan. He is our first-ever world-class gymnast and a huge inspiration for the next generation of up and coming Irish gymnasts. And I can imagine the pride in his face when walking into the stadium and I think it would be a really nice moment for someone so young, yet sure of his abilities.

rhys-mcclenaghan-1024x531.jpg

Edited by OlympicIRL

For the Italian Team I have a lot of names, really. :p Sadly our archery team have competitions before the OC, so i remove Galiazzo. Probabily I missed a lot of possible athletes

Gregorio Paltrinieri (Swimming) - He is the Olympic and world long course and short course champion and three-times European long course champion in the 1500 m freestyle event at the 2012, 2014 and 2016 European Aquatics Championships, and two-times European long course champion in the 800 m freestyle event. Paltrinieri is the current 1500 m freestyle (short course) world record holder.

Tania Cagnotto (Diving) - She is the first Italian female diver to win a medal in a World Championship.[1] A five-time Olympian, she won medals in both individual and synchronized springboard diving in her final appearance at the Olympics in 2016. She is also a 20-time champion at the European level

Giovanni Pellelio (Shooting) - He won the silver medal in Men's trap at the 2008 Summer Olympics, and also earned a bronze medal in the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney and a silver medal in the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens and 2016 Rio Olympics. He also won the 2008 ISSF World Cup Final.

Vanessa Ferrari (Gymnastics) - She was the 2006 World All-Around Champion and competed for Italy at the 2008, 2012, and 2016 Summer Olympics.

Francesco Molinari (Golf) - He won the 2018 Open Championship, his first and only major victory, and the first major won by an Italian professional golfer. The Open Championship win capped a successful season in which he won the 2018 BMW PGA Championship, his sixth win on the European Tour, and the Quicken Loans National, his first PGA Tour win. At the end of the season, Molinari won 5 out of 5 points as Europe won the 2018 Ryder Cup.

Fabio Basile (Judo) - He competed at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro and won the gold medal in the men's 66 kg on 7 August 2016 - the 200th Olympic gold medal for Italy

Clemente Russo (Boxe) - Gold at the 2007 and 2013 World Amateur Boxing Championships at heavyweight and double-medallist at Olympics.

Like - Paula Pareto (Judo)

Probable - Santiago Lange (Sailing)

Don't see anyone else with a chance of being flag bearer. Normally only people who already have won olympic medal or world championship and are close to retirement are chosen.

Great thread! :thumbup:

It's a bit early to speculate since we don't even know which athletes will compete, but i will still name my current favorites:

- Thomas Röhler (javelin throw)

- Isabell Werth (dressage)

- Michael Jung (eventing)

- Christian Reitz (rapid fire pistol)

- Angelique Kerber (tennis)

I think Röhler will be around for another olympics, the same should/could be true for Jung and Reitz, so i would probably go with Werth/Kerber for the opening cermony and the other one of those 2 for the closing ceremony or someone who did exceptionally well at the olympics (maybe/hopefully someone like Florian Wellbrock, Max Hartung, Stefan Bötticher or Alexander Zverev).

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Due to the curse of Polish flagbearer (very rarely our flagbearer gets a medal at the Olympics) I'd like it to be Paweł Spisak - we don't have a chance for a medal in eventing anyway, and it will be his fifth Olympics, which is quite a big achievement in Poland. But to be honest Piotr Małachowski deserves it the most - twice Olympic silver and a big heart - he started the tradition of charity auction at the Polish Sport Champions Ball, an annual event at the Sportsman of the Year gala, giving away his diamonds from Diamond League. But still I wish him that Olympic gold, for which he needs to be in a lifetime shape just a step before his retirement.

3 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Great thread! :thumbup:

It's a bit early to speculate since we don't even know which athletes will compete, but i will still name my current favorites:

- Thomas Röhler (javelin throw)

- Isabell Werth (dressage)

- Michael Jung (eventing)

- Christian Reitz (rapid fire pistol)

- Angelique Kerber (tennis)

I think Röhler will be around for another olympics, the same should/could be true for Jung and Reitz, so i would probably go with Werth/Kerber for the opening cermony and the other one of those 2 for the closing ceremony or someone who did exceptionally well at the olympics (maybe/hopefully someone like Florian Wellbrock, Max Hartung, Stefan Bötticher or Alexander Zverev).

Isabel Werth would be a good choice, but the dressage events start on the day after the opening ceremony - so it's unlikely. I think Kristina Vogel would be a great choice as a flag bearer, however I don't know if a flag bearer needs to be part of the current olympic team.

5 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

Isabel Werth would be a good choice, but the dressage events start on the day after the opening ceremony 

So does Tennis, regarding Kerber.

However, the first round in Dressage takes place over two days. So if Werth competes on day 2, she could be a candidate.

:INA Eko Yuli Irawan (Weightlifting)

I really want him to do that since it's his 4th and last Olympics. He always won a medal at each of his 3 participations so I think it really suits him.

I just hope the flagbearer is not the CdM (usually a wealthy politician or businessman with a sprinkle of interest of sport)!