website statistics

Men's Cricket ICC World Cup 2019

Totallympics

2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Again, British Empire is no longer the world. Hell, badminton is more popular than cricket but the numbers are skewed since these sports are popular in some of the most populous countries in the world. Cricket isn't a global sport, it's a big fish in a very, very small pond. Why would they reduce the number of teams taking part in World Cup in first place if it's so popular? :mumble:

To benefit the countries with more money, like every major world sport. Cricket (even if I don’t personally like it) is a major world sport.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Again, British Empire is no longer the world. Hell, badminton is more popular than cricket but the numbers are skewed since these sports are popular in some of the most populous countries in the world. Cricket isn't a global sport, it's a big fish in a very, very small pond. Why would they reduce the number of teams taking part in World Cup in first place if it's so popular? :mumble:

Sorry but most populous countries?

I can agree with India , Pakistan and maybe Bangladesh. I don't see any other populous countries.

In that case badminton is popular in many most populous countries than cricket. China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Korea, &Even India.

As a Indian I can say most people like badminton. It is may be the second or third biggest sport in viewership.

7 hours ago, Monzanator said:

This should be called British Empire Games at best :lol:  The last true relict of the colonial era. Irrelevant sport nobody pays attention to IMO.

I agree with you about the "Cricket, booooooring" kind of opinion, but come on, this just sounds incredibly salty :d 

There are multiple Olympic sports much less people care about (in relative numbers I mean, so not just because India likes cricket with their 87 billion people).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Why is it called a World Cup anyway? There's nobody from outside the Commonwealth even playing this sport? :mumble:

Same way Ice Hockey, Water Polo or Handball are Olympic sports even though nobody outside of Europe and USA/Canada play it. 

24 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Same way Ice Hockey, Water Polo or Handball are Olympic sports even though nobody outside of Europe and USA/Canada play it. 

China's and Australia's women's water polo teams do not like your attitude :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

China's and Australia's women's water polo teams do not like your attitude :p 

Afghanistan/Netherlands were not part of British Empire but we are talking about emotions and perceptions not facts. 

1 minute ago, Dunadan said:

And South Korea and Brazil in handball...all recent World/Olympic medallists 

And South Korea's women's water polo team of course :evil:

2 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Afghanistan/Netherlands were not part of British Empire but we are talking about emotions and perceptions not facts. 

I'm missing the point of Afghanistan and the Netherlands in this :d 

Just now, heywoodu said:

I'm missing the point of Afghanistan and the Netherlands in this :d 

Afghanistan and Netherlands are easily in top 15 teams in Cricket. If by some magic, ICC got some brains and we had a decent size WC of 16 teams, we would have more non-Commonwealth nations in WC.