website statistics

Men's Cricket ICC World Cup 2019

Totallympics

• 2 weeks later...

Pakistan almost committed suicide against their neighbours from Afghanistan, but finally they were able to score enough runs in the final 3/4 overs...

now they're in pole position to upset the Host Team, unless there's some kind of match fixing tomorrow in the IND vs ENG matchup or some other strange and unexpected result in the last few days of the round robin play...

NZL, AUS and IND are basically already safe through the Final Four...not much has changed if compared to 4 years ago (only PAK or ENG would eventually replace RSA in the semis, the other 3 teams being exactly the same)...

in Italy, we call it "biscotto" (biscuit)...:evil:

meanwhile in English, "match fixing" is a good definition for what happened earlier today...:whistle:

being India already sure to be among the 4 semifinalists, India's bowlers let England score the amazing amount of 337 runs in 50 overs and basically didn't give themselves a chance when batting...they still managed to score 306 runs, but it clearly wasn't enough (and it was intended not to be enough)...

finally, England won by 31 runs and almost certainly saved their asses, earning a spot among the top 4 (without this result, Pakistan's charge in the standings could have been a real threat)...

with this result, instead, India made it almost impossible for their rivals to reach the semifinals...:facepalm:

5 minutes ago, phelps said:

meanwhile in English, "match fixing" is a good definition for what happened earlier today...:whistle:

being India already sure to be among the 4 semifinalists, India's bowlers let England score the amazing amount of 337 runs in 50 overs and basically didn't give themselves a chance when batting...they still managed to score 306 runs, but it clearly wasn't enough (and it was intended not to be enough)...

finally, England won by 31 runs and almost certainly saved their asses, earning a spot among the top 4 (without this result, Pakistan's charge in the standings could have been a real threat)...

with this result, instead, India made it almost impossible for their rivals to reach the semifinals...:facepalm:

Yes because this is the first time England have scored 300+ runs in an ODI:wall:

8 hours ago, phelps said:

Sorry but you talk like India gave away 300 runs against Afghanistan. Maybe you should remember England are No1 in world ranking and it is their home ground. As a matter of fact India had to play Shami instead of Bhuvi. Shami is not preferred by India because he cannot be a good depth bowler. It showed yesterday. Of India wanted to make sure England won Bumrah would have leaked runs too.

ah! ah!

I expected some reaction against what I wrote...:whistle::coffee:

c'mon, guys! there's nothing wrong in losing a match on purpose (and I'm more than convinced that India yesterday had all the interest in doing that), if it takes you to reach 2 goals instead of only 1...

and please, don't tell me that nobody thought about it in your Country, as you would look really naive (and I know you are not)...;)

p.s. England were struggling lately and I'm pretty sure they would have been relegated to 5th place if they couldn't win all of their remaining matches, that one vs IND included...

2 minutes ago, phelps said:

ah! ah!

I expected some reaction against what I wrote...:whistle::coffee:

c'mon, guys! there's nothing wrong in losing a match on purpose (and I'm more than convinced that India yesterday had all the interest in doing that), if it takes you to reach 2 goals instead of only 1...

and please, don't tell me that nobody thought about it in your Country, as you would look really naive (and I know you are not)...;)

p.s. England were struggling lately and I'm pretty sure they would have been relegated to 5th place if they couldn't win all of their remaining matches, that one vs IND included...

A lot of Indians wanted India to lose yesterday, to eliminate Pakistan. But, the matter of fact is Pakistan is not eliminated even after India's loss. Pakistan can still qualify for Semis. Also, Indian think tank would have preferred to win all the matches, qualify for Semis as top team and hope we face Pakistan in semis, because frankly it would have been a cake walk for us. Now, we will finish 2nd behind Australia and most likely face winner of New Zealand/England match in semis, which is a much tougher match.

Also, if you have followed cricket in last couple of years, you would know England is a very good team who have been consistently scoring 350+ scores when batting first for quite some time. So, they scoring 300+ yesterday means nothing. Heck, even in this WC, they have scored 300+ everytime they have batted first including massive 386 and 397 against Bangladesh and Afghanistan. All three matches that England have lost in this WC have been while chasing. While, of late India have been better at defending the score and not chasing (since we have brittle middle-lower batting line-up). 

So, all this theory of India throwing the match to eliminate Pakistan is believed by a) Indians who think no one can be better than us on a given day and hence, all the matches we lose are part of some grand strategy b) Pakistanis who believe Indians are always trying to hurt them. and c) naive people who believe in every conspiracy theory they read on internet. 

27 minutes ago, Dolby said:

A lot of Indians wanted India to lose yesterday, to eliminate Pakistan. But, the matter of fact is Pakistan is not eliminated even after India's loss. Pakistan can still qualify for Semis. Also, Indian think tank would have preferred to win all the matches, qualify for Semis as top team and hope we face Pakistan in semis, because frankly it would have been a cake walk for us. Now, we will finish 2nd behind Australia and most likely face winner of New Zealand/England match in semis, which is a much tougher match.

Also, if you have followed cricket in last couple of years, you would know England is a very good team who have been consistently scoring 350+ scores when batting first for quite some time. So, they scoring 300+ yesterday means nothing. Heck, even in this WC, they have scored 300+ everytime they have batted first including massive 386 and 397 against Bangladesh and Afghanistan. All three matches that England have lost in this WC have been while chasing. While, of late India have been better at defending the score and not chasing (since we have brittle middle-lower batting line-up). 

So, all this theory of India throwing the match to eliminate Pakistan is believed by a) Indians who think no one can be better than us on a given day and hence, all the matches we lose are part of some grand strategy b) Pakistanis who believe Indians are always trying to hurt them. and c) naive people who believe in every conspiracy theory they read on internet. 

for sure you know cricket and IND vs PAK relationships way better than me...

and I trust you when you explain all those things...

but still, in the back of my mind there's always a little voice telling me that IND maybe didn't lose on purpose in a blatant way, but at least they didn't give it all on the court as if it was a semifinal/final match...;)

that said, I don't really want to put on a case for this thing...time will tell if this loss will hurt India / Pakistan / both of them or if it won't change anything towards the expected IND vs AUS final showdown...

my only expectation is to watch some exciting games in the tournament's Final Four...