website statistics

Men's Cricket ICC World Cup 2019

Totallympics

11 hours ago, MHSN said:

Reading your passionate posts here made me watching a match today between our neighbors Pakistan vs England and after 10 minutes my reaction was "oh no thanks, this is not my taste"

btw since we almost share the same language with Afghanistan, I can read their websites and Cricket is a huge huge sport there and also in Pakistan. (we even had street celebrations in Afghanistan when they beat Pakistan in a test match before the World Cup) but the biggest sport in two of our biggest neighbor countries almost doesn't even exist in my country. :mumble: not that I'm complaining :d

I guess you don't like Baseball, also...:mumble:

meanwhile in my personal ranking, it's second among team sports after Hockey (the only Hockey that deserves to be named that way, the one played on the ice! :lol::whistle::pope:)...;)

and if you like Baseball, you can't dislike Cricket, too...even if there's some significant difference and the pace of the game is normally slower than baseball (which already is considered "very slow")...

but I like all those tactics, stats and projections those 2 games are based on...

however, I must admit that Cricket can get really anti-climatic in certain situations, when you understand quite early that the match you're watching is going to be one-sided...

on the other hand, it can give you a longer than average excitement when you understand that the game is just on the line and 1 single run scored at any point could make the difference in the final result...

Edited by phelps

On 03/06/2019 at 01:26, OlympicIRL said:

Yes, they don't generally do things that is in the best interest of the sport. Even with this round-robin process they could have at least spiced it up a bit.... say top 2 advance directly to the semis, 3rd-6th place play in the quarter-finals. Or maybe even added in an additional incentive for those at the bottom of the table.... top 8 qualify directly for the next tournament. But they prefer to be able to make things up as they go along so that for the next World Cup they can invite who they want :d

ICC just wants to ensure that all top teams play each other. The so-called minnows have improved a lot in last decade or so. ICC doesn't want a repeat of 2007 WC, where group stages was followed by Super 6 and what was supposed to be Super 6 match between India and Pakistan turned out to be match between Bangladesh and Ireland. India-Pakistan, India-Australia, etc. these are the matches which generate maximum buzz and revenue for ICC. ICC wants to ensure these matches instead of focusing on promoting cricket in newer countries. 

I would personally prefer a tournament of 16 teams. 2 groups of 8 teams with top 4 from each group qualifying for QF. 

28 minutes ago, Dolby said:

ICC just wants to ensure that all top teams play each other. The so-called minnows have improved a lot in last decade or so. ICC doesn't want a repeat of 2007 WC, where group stages was followed by Super 6 and what was supposed to be Super 6 match between India and Pakistan turned out to be match between Bangladesh and Ireland. India-Pakistan, India-Australia, etc. these are the matches which generate maximum buzz and revenue for ICC. ICC wants to ensure these matches instead of focusing on promoting cricket in newer countries. 

I would personally prefer a tournament of 16 teams. 2 groups of 8 teams with top 4 from each group qualifying for QF. 

ICC are under pressure from TV companies in the UK, Australia and especially India.  That's why we've got a long tournament where many of the matches towards the end of the group stage will be meaningless - but at least the big teams will all play 9 matches.

12 hours ago, MHSN said:

Reading your passionate posts here made me watching a match today between our neighbors Pakistan vs England and after 10 minutes my reaction was "oh no thanks, this is not my taste"

btw since we almost share the same language with Afghanistan, I can read their websites and Cricket is a huge huge sport there and also in Pakistan. (we even had street celebrations in Afghanistan when they beat Pakistan in a test match before the World Cup) but the biggest sport in two of our biggest neighbor countries almost doesn't even exist in my country. :mumble: not that I'm complaining :d

I'm not sure if people realize how amazing the success of Afghanistan has been.

Unlike India and Pakistan, cricket remained almost unknown in Afghanistan until the Soviet Union invaded in 1979.

Afghan refugees began learning the sport in camps in Northern Pakistan.

The national team played their first game in 2001 and now they one of the ten best teams in the world and Rashid Khan has a claim to be the best player in the world

DAY SIX

:AFG 152 Najibullah 43

lost to

:SRI 201 Perera 78 Nabi 4/30

Under the Duckworth Lewis rules for rain affected matches Afghanistan need 181 to win in 41 overs

Edited by Dragon

5 minutes ago, Dragon said:

I'm not sure if people realize how amazing the success of Afghanistan has been.

Unlike India and Pakistan, cricket remained almost unknown in Afghanistan until the Soviet Union invaded in 1979.

Afghan refugees began learning the sport in camps in Northern Pakistan.

The national team played their first game in 2001 and now they one of the ten best teams in the world and Rashid Khan has a claim to be the best player in the world

Really ? :yikes: I didn't know that. they speak about Cricket like they have this sport for a century

1 hour ago, phelps said:

I guess you don't like Baseball, also...:mumble:

meanwhile in my personal ranking, it's second among team sports after Hockey (the only Hockey that deserves to be named that way, the one played on the ice! :lol::whistle::pope:)...;)

and if you like Baseball, you can't dislike Cricket, too...even if there's some significant difference and the pace of the game is normally slower than baseball (which already is considered "very slow")...

but I like all those tactics, stats and projections those 2 games are based on...

however, I must admit that Cricket can get really anti-climatic in certain situations, when you understand quite early that the match you're watching is going to be one-sided...

on the other hand, it can give you a longer than average excitement when you understand that the game is just on the line and 1 single run scored at any point could make the difference in the final result...

that's exactly true  :d at least in Baseball each team score in each innings after each other, it's not like one team has to score for a long time first and then they switch.

and I think we really have different taste in sports because  Hockey is also in bottom of my list :p It's not just because those sports don't exist here, Rugby, Curling and Biathlon for example don't exist in Iran and I still like to watch them.

14 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Really ? :yikes: I didn't know that. they speak about Cricket like they have this sport for a century

It was played by British officials in Kabul 180 years ago but, unlike India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, it never was played by the normal Afghan population after the British left.

There's a good documentary about it 

Edited by Dragon

5 hours ago, MHSN said:

that's exactly true  :d at least in Baseball each team score in each innings after each other, it's not like one team has to score for a long time first and then they switch.

and I think we really have different taste in sports because  Hockey is also in bottom of my list :p It's not just because those sports don't exist here, Rugby, Curling and Biathlon for example don't exist in Iran and I still like to watch them.

yes, surely it is...:dunno:

but only for what concerns the team sports...on the individual sports we have some more matchable taste, I guess...:d;)