website statistics

Men's Cricket ICC World Cup 2019

Totallympics

After years, I still just don't get it. How can one beat another team by "311/8 - 207"? Shouldn't at least the format be the same on both sides? To me it sounds like a football match ending with 5 goals for team A and a time of 21:45 for team B.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, Dragon said:

DAY ONE

:ENG 311/8 Stokes 89, Morgan 57, Roy 54, Root 51

beat

:RSA 207 de Kock 68, van der Dussen 50

Moment of the match

I'm really disppointed with RSA's performance...

they gave up way too many runs bowling and it was clear since the early overs that they couldn't keep the 6.x run rate with the bats in their hands...even De Kock and van der Dussen used really too many balls to score their 50s...

tomorrow I hope my all-time favourites (West Indies) can deliver something spectacular against Pakistan...Chris Gayle deserves the most outstanding end of a great career...:cheer:

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

After years, I still just don't get it. How can one beat another team by "311/8 - 207"? Shouldn't at least the format be the same on both sides? To me it sounds like a football match ending with 5 goals for team A and a time of 21:45 for team B.

this is still simple...you can also read it as 311/8 to 207/10 (the comparison is still done by the most number of runs scored -the losing side not having written the "/10" part only because it's tacit that they are stopped once all of their batsmen are eliminated)...

it's when the winning side is the team batting second that things can be even nastier...in that case the final score is recorded as "the team X wins by N wickets" (without even looking at the number of runs scored by both teams), which could prove a bit complicated to explain to those who don't follow this sport closely enough...:lol:

great start for West Indies bowling (or awful start for Pakistan batting, it depends on your own point of view)...

and now Chris Gayle already looking ready to destroy Pakistan's bowlers...:cheer:

it's only game #2 of the entire tournament, but it's already a good candidate to become the quickest match of the whole 2019 CWC...:hyper::lol: