website statistics

Winter Universiade 2021

Totallympics

7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

At least you can count Brazil in. Universiade and the world championships are @brunamoura's main focus for next season.

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Are you (and her) aware of the new eligibility rules?

So, based off when @brunamoura profile says her birthday is, she is no longer eligible to compete at the Universaides. The rules were amended last year to where you have to be U25 to compete. I did know if you two knew this or not, so I thought I’d tell now. I don’t know if there’s exceptions to the rules, but I could look into that for y’all.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

23 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

So, based off when @brunamoura profile says her birthday is, she is no longer eligible to compete at the Universaides. The rules were amended last year to where you have to be U25 to compete. I did know if you two knew this or not, so I thought I’d tell now. I don’t know if there’s exceptions to the rules, but I could look into that for y’all.

Wait, that'd be pretty big indeed, because as far as I know the Brazilian university sports federation has already said she's eligible. It seems rather weird to change those rules and let them go into effect immediately, while plenty of athletes might already have been planning for them?

This sudden change would suck big time, one might say..

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Wait, that'd be pretty big indeed, because as far as I know the Brazilian university sports federation has already said she's eligible. It seems rather weird to change those rules and let them go into effect immediately, while plenty of athletes might already have been planning for them?

Well they actually went into affect before the last Winter Universaide. I would make sure the BUSF is aware of the change (though I’m sure they are) before you get to the real stages of planning. As I said, I’m there’s special exceptions that could be made, and maybe they already obtained one for @brunamoura. I’d love to see her at the games, so I hope that’s the case.

I can provide any other info y’all need. Hopefully this gets sorted out.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Well they actually went into affect before the last Winter Universaide. I would make sure the BUSF is aware of the change (though I’m sure they are) before you get to the real stages of planning. As I said, I’m there’s special exceptions that could be made, and maybe they already obtained one for @brunamoura. I’d love to see her at the games, so I hope that’s the case.

I can provide any other info y’all need. Hopefully this gets sorted out.

Oh I would really not be sure about that. The Brazilian snow sports federation didn't even know the Olympic qualifying rules for 2018 in the pre-Olympic season (being convinced having two qualified athletes wouldn't be too hard). Any info would be very much welcome indeed.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

38 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Everyone knows that there are only two occasions in their lives when ladies are obliged to be truthful about their age.

1. Their twenty-first birthday
  2. Pensionable age

In every other circumstance we as men are obliged to accept them at their word, no matter how hard it is to keep from bursting into laughter.  :mumble:

Seriously though, pretty sure @Olympian1010 is correct on this, would advise you to check ASAP.

Edited by Grassmarket

7 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Everyone knows that there are only two occasions in their lives when ladies are obliged to be truthful about their age.

1. Their twenty-first birthday
  2. Pensionable age

In every other circumstance we as men are obliged to accept them at their word, no matter how hard it is to keep from bursting into laughter.  :mumble:

Seriously though, pretty sure @Olympian1010 is correct on this, would advise you to check ASAP.

Their 21st, but not 18th birthday? :p 

Yeah she's looking into it already at the moment, messages have already been sent and now it's a matter of waiting (but it would be no surprise at all if the Brazilian federation(s) had no clue about this..). It would be a really massive blow, but at least that would mean full focus on the world championships.

Edited by heywoodu

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Their 21st, but not 18th birthday? :p 

Yeah she's looking into it already at the moment, messages have already been sent and now it's a matter of waiting (but it would be no surprise at all if the Brazilian federation(s) had no clue about this..). It would be a really massive blow, but at least that would mean full focus on the world championships.

Yeah, @brunamoura and you will definitely want to read item 5.2.4 on page 28: https://www.fisu.net/medias/fichiers/winter_universiade_general_regulations_20180329.pdf

It doesn’t seem like there’s a waiver on the age limit, so Universaide might be off the books (sorry). On the bright side, World Championships :p

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah, @brunamoura and you will definitely want to read item 5.2.4 on page 28: https://www.fisu.net/medias/fichiers/winter_universiade_general_regulations_20180329.pdf

It doesn’t seem like there’s a waiver on the age limit, so Universaide might be off the books (sorry). On the bright side, World Championships :p

Thanks for bringing it to my/our attention though, it is at the very least better to receive this big blow relatively early than in November or something when the season is about to start. Next challenge: getting through this disappointment and rescheduling the season that had been - in big lines - schedules this week.

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Thanks for bringing it to my/our attention though, it is at the very least better to receive this big blow relatively early than in November or something when the season is about to start. Next challenge: getting through this disappointment and rescheduling the season that had been - in big lines - schedules this week.

If she’s in the military, you can hit up the military winter games in late March :p

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

If she’s in the military, you can hit up the military winter games in late March :p

As far as Brazilian winter sports athletes (at least XC and biatlon) go, that'd only be veteran Fabrizio Bourguignon who would be eligible for it :p