website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Pan American Games 2019

vinipereira

On 20/06/2019 at 09:51, thiago_simoes said:

You guys need to bombard the Mexican federation with messages on Facebook, Twitter, e-mails... This more than a simple misunderstanding: this is negligence. I've contacted the Mexican federation a number of times, and also PAGU (whose president is also from Mexico) and I've had a terrible experience. They have very bad PR and no transparency whatsoever. When I asked PAGU on Facebook to act more professional, they blocked my account. LOL. Such amateurs.

No Elsa Garcia, as she injured herself again. I'd just wish she realized it's time for her to let others have their time.

Hope the reserve gymnast is Esparza.

1 hour ago, mrv86 said:

No Elsa Garcia, as she injured herself again. I'd just wish she realized it's time for her to let others have their time.

Hope the reserve gymnast is Esparza.

I believe that in special cases (injury is one of them) nations can name another gymnast. Can anybody confirm this? It would be awesome to see Moreno competing, though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Brazil finally announced their women's team: Jade Barbosa, Flávia Saraiva, Thais Fidelis, Lorrane Santos and Carolyne Pedro. This is probably the team that will go to the Word Championships, so it will be interesting to see how they score here. They are in a very comfortable position for a bronze medal in the team event, but honestly I can't see they challenging for anything better than 3rd place.

There's not much hope for individual medals, though. Our best chance is with Flavia Saraiva in the all-around competition. No one will perform two vaults, so no chance for a final. On the uneven bars, chances for a medal are very slim. Beam could be anyone's game, but I think the Americans and Canadians are one step ahead. Floor is where I expect Brazil to contend for a medal, maybe even gold if Flávia Saraiva has an exceptional day. Jade Barbosa and Thais Fidelis could also grab a spot in the final and maybe even a bronze medal.

On paper, this team is competent and they should have no problems qualifying for the 2020 Olympics later this year, but it's always important to check how things are going before the World Championships, so the Pan Ams can be a good opportunity for them to test their routines.

2 hours ago, vinipereira said:

I'm surprised. Hurd, McCustker and Wong are part of the A team. It never crossed my mind they would actually choose them for the Pan Ams!

Finnegan is very young. This is probably her first major international event, so let's see what she does. Eaker is a very risky choice, either hit or miss. Beam finals will be exciting if she qualifies.

I take back what I've written about the Canadians being able to beat this team. They won't. Team finals will be very predictable with the USA earning gold, Canada with silver and Brazil with the bronze medal. The only thing that matters now is how much Canada and Brazil can score. It will be a nice test before the World Championships.

8 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

I'm surprised. Hurd, McCustker and Wong are part of the A team. It never crossed my mind they would actually choose them for the Pan Ams!

Finnegan is very young. This is probably her first major international event, so let's see what she does. Eaker is a very risky choice, either hit or miss. Beam finals will be exciting if she qualifies.

I take back what I've written about the Canadians being able to beat this team. They won't. Team finals will be very predictable with the USA earning gold, Canada with silver and Brazil with the bronze medal. The only thing that matters now is how much Canada and Brazil can score. It will be a nice test before the World Championships.

And while these awesome gymnasts are representing the :USA, Simone Biles has up her difficulty and is preparing for worlds as well.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

And while these awesome gymnasts are representing the :USA, Simone Biles has up her difficulty and is preparing for worlds as well.

She's unbelievable. Her newest skill on floor is a triple twisting double back somersault. Needless to say, no woman has ever attempted this before and even among men this is a very rare and very difficult skill. It's like Biles is not even human. She's 20 or 30 years ahead of what we expect from women's gymnastics. No one can even compare.

Just now, thiago_simoes said:

She's unbelievable. Her newest skill on floor is a triple twisting double back somersault. Needless to say, no woman has ever attempted this before and even among men this is a very rare and very difficult skill. It's like Biles is not even human. She's 20 or 30 years ahead of what we expect from women's gymnastics. No one can even compare.

I assume you’ve seen her new beam dismount. I’m not a artistic Gymnastics expert, but it’s like to back handstands into like a double twisting double back or something.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I assume you’ve seen her new beam dismount. I’m not a artistic Gymnastics expert, but it’s like to back handstands into like a double twisting double back or something.

It's a full twisting double back. The most difficult skill on beam, but she's not the originator of the element, though. She's been training a double double since 2013, though.

What I really wanted to see from her is a triple twisting yurchenko vault. Hong Un Jong attempted one at the 2016 Olympics but she fell short and lost the chance of earning a medal. Bummer. Biles should be able do it for someday..