website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Pan American Games 2019

vinipereira

6 hours ago, intoronto said:

http://gymcan.org/news/details/2019_Pan-Am-Games_TEAM

Team Canada. @thiago_simoes what are your thoughts? 

With Rebeca Andrade out, things are completely different now, especially for Canada. This team is 99% sure to get at least a silver medal. Depending on who gets picked for the US team, I'd say there's a slim chance for gold. Also, in individual events, I expect Olssen and Black to challenge for gold medals, and Padurariu as well especially on beam. Very strong team. Not only the Pan Ams should be very successful with this team, but Olympic qualification is a breeze now. 

On 13/06/2019 at 23:08, mrv86 said:

Manrique Larduet :CUB is out of the games due to wrist injury... this should open the field in Men's AA

And a very good chance for both Fabian de Luna and Federico Molinari to challenge for an individual medal on rings. The US will send a very inexperienced team, and Canada doesn't seem to have anyone particularly strong on rings. Zanetti should not have problems to win gold (and I'm not exactly happy about that, since you guys know I never root for him), but silver and bronze will be very interesting. 

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

With Rebeca Andrade out, things are completely different now, especially for Canada. This team is 99% sure to get at least a silver medal. Depending on who gets picked for the US team, I'd say there's a slim chance for gold. Also, in individual events, I expect Olssen and Black to challenge for gold medals, and Padurariu as well especially on beam. Very strong team. Not only the Pan Ams should be very successful with this team, but Olympic qualification is a breeze now. 

What about the men?

32 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

All of the teams are terrible. It's anyone's game.

I'd still say it will be Brazil, Canada and USA in the podium... they are ahead of the rest, even if they don't bring out their best. Colombia and Cuba rely too much on a single gymnast, which in both cases will be absent, and the other teams are not on the same level.

Same for the women... the only other team that could challenge those three if any have a bad day is Mexico, but without Moreno, that will be really hard to get even close.

2 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

I'd still say it will be Brazil, Canada and USA in the podium... they are ahead of the rest, even if they don't bring out their best. Colombia and Cuba rely too much on a single gymnast, which in both cases will be absent, and the other teams are not on the same level.

Same for the women... the only other team that could challenge those three if any have a bad day is Mexico, but without Moreno, that will be really hard to get even close.

I believe there is a big difference in quality between women's teams and men's teams.

Women's teams: USA (even with a B team), Canada and Brazil (even without Rebeca Andrade) are among the 10 best teams in the world.

Men's teams: USA has inexperienced gymnasts and none of them should even be selected for the World Championships. Brazil relies too much on gymnasts who are clearly out of shape (like Nory and Barreto), and Caio Souza is still injured, so I don't expect miracles for the Pan Am Games. Canada has a solid team but nothing really special. Maybe Brazil will finish among the top 10 at the World Championships, but I doubt it. 11th or 12th is a more realistic scenario, especially since our best all-arounders are doing terrible. There's no comparison to the women's event, really.

Oh, and I forgot to add: Mexico's biggest loss is not really Moreno, but instead Frida Esparza. Had she been healthy, she could help Mexico fight for the bronze medal with Brazil. If things stay like they are today, it will be Canada vs USA for the team gold medal, Brazil with a comfortable lead for the bronze medal, and all of the other teams fighting for sports 4-8. Mexico should place fourth, but I believe Argentina will be the biggest surprise at the Pan Ams and it will be very interesting to see where they will land.

2 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

Good news for Mexico: Moreno is back in action. She should easily get a medal on vault at the Pan Ams. 

Source: Here.

I'm not sure she will compete in Lima, unless someone gets injured, but I hope she gets top form for World Championships.

6 hours ago, mrv86 said:

I'm not sure she will compete in Lima, unless someone gets injured, but I hope she gets top form for World Championships.

It doesn't make sense to not add her to the team. No one else has a realistic chance of an individual medal, and a team medal is very, very unlikely, with or without her.  Has the team been decided? This is probably some Japanese level of dumbness when it comes to selecting teams.

Edited by thiago_simoes