website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Pan American Games 2019

vinipereira

Mexican Men's team has been announced. Daniel Corral is back on team and won the all around, followed by Fabian Luna. So I'm hoping those two advance to apparatus finals. :cheer:

Meanwhile, women's competition was held today. On a tragic note for our delegation, Alexa Moreno pulled out because of an injury :cry:, meaning no chance for medals this time, unless Ana Lago and Elsa Garcia have an awesome performance in their respecrive comebacks.

On 20/05/2019 at 20:31, thiago_simoes said:

Hard to say until we have the nominative list.

On the women's side, I believe Brazil, Canada and the US will take all the medals. The only exception could be on vault, where Alexa Moreno from Mexico has the potential to be a medalist. Maybe Cuba can be a surprise too, but they don't send their gymnasts to big competitions before the Pan Ams, so it's very hard to predict how they will perform.

On the men's side things are a lot more unpredictable. Jossimar Calvo (Colombia) and Manrique Larduet (Cuba) did not look too hot last year, and there's a chance they have not recovered their best form. The Dominican Republic, Brazil, United States, Mexico, Canada, Cuba, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Chile and Argentina all have chances of earning medals. Even Peru and Uruguay have outside chances.

Canada's best chance of a gold medal is on the balance beam, or maybe all-around. Padurariu is looking great! On vault, it will be a tight battle between Canada, Brazil and the US for gold, with Alexa Moreno as a dark horse, though I don't believe she will win a medal if everybody hits, unless she upgrades one of her vaults. I'm very excited about what the Brazilians can achieve. I might be a bit too optimistic, but I would say that Rebeca Andrade will walk away with at least one gold medal. Last time a Brazilian girl got a gold medal was in 2007, and before that only in 1991.

Unfortunately Moreno is out due to injury and won't compete in Lima.

@mrv86

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Unfortunately Moreno is out due to injury and won't compete in Lima.

@mrv86

I thought I have posted about that already, but it seems I misplaced it somewhere. Moreno's injury is not that serious, but both she and the federation chose to let her skip Lima and instead focus on World Championships and Olympic ticket.

This time it seems Mexican men will have better chances of ending in the podium.  Our 2014 silver medalist Corral is back with decent scores and no pressure, so he may qualify for a couple of finals (bars, pommel horse) plus De Luna is our best card in Rings.

About women, I don't expect a single medal this time... our all arounders are really inconsistent, Elsa Garcia is already in decline and Atziri Sandoval needs to improve her difficulty if she really wants a medal in uneven bars,

3 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

This time it seems Mexican men will have better chances of ending in the podium.  Our 2014 silver medalist Corral is back with decent scores and no pressure, so he may qualify for a couple of finals (bars, pommel horse) plus De Luna is our best card in Rings.

Yup. I'd say Zanetti, De Luna and Molinari are one step ahead in the still rings. Maybe Caio Souza can spoil someone's party, or even Daniel Villafañe, but I wouldn't bet on it.

14 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Rebeca Andrade will miss Pan Ams and the World Championships. She suffered a knee sprain and will need to undergo surgery. She will return to competition after eight months.

I have no words to describe how devastated I am. 

I believe she missed at least 6 big competitions now because of injuries (Youth Olympics 2014, Pan American Games 2015, Worlds 2015, Worlds 2017, Pan American Games 2019, Worlds 2019).

If she was from one of the big nations, she would have given up a long time ago. Honestly, it will be amazing if she wins a medal at the Olympics without having won anything important ever. But I can't expect anything from our women's gymnastics team anymore. They're always good in useless competitions and then a disaster when it really matters (not only because of injuries, but also nervousness).