website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Pan American Games 2019

vinipereira

Yes! I'm so excited!

My top three wishes this year are: 1) a medal for Federico Molinari, 2) Brazil women's team with a gold medal (very hard, but not impossible), 3) at least one major upset, like Ana Sofia Porras winning beam in 2011 and Jorge Vega winning floor in 2015; my bet for 2019 is Audrys Nin Reyes winning vault, but let's see.

41 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Yes! I'm so excited!

My top three wishes this year are: 1) a medal for Federico Molinari, 2) Brazil women's team with a gold medal (very hard, but not impossible), 3) at least one major upset, like Ana Sofia Porras winning beam in 2011 and Jorge Vega winning floor in 2015; my bet for 2019 is Audrys Nin Reyes winning vault, but let's see.

Any medal predictions across all events?

3 hours ago, intoronto said:

Any medal predictions across all events?

Hard to say until we have the nominative list.

On the women's side, I believe Brazil, Canada and the US will take all the medals. The only exception could be on vault, where Alexa Moreno from Mexico has the potential to be a medalist. Maybe Cuba can be a surprise too, but they don't send their gymnasts to big competitions before the Pan Ams, so it's very hard to predict how they will perform.

On the men's side things are a lot more unpredictable. Jossimar Calvo (Colombia) and Manrique Larduet (Cuba) did not look too hot last year, and there's a chance they have not recovered their best form. The Dominican Republic, Brazil, United States, Mexico, Canada, Cuba, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Chile and Argentina all have chances of earning medals. Even Peru and Uruguay have outside chances.

Canada's best chance of a gold medal is on the balance beam, or maybe all-around. Padurariu is looking great! On vault, it will be a tight battle between Canada, Brazil and the US for gold, with Alexa Moreno as a dark horse, though I don't believe she will win a medal if everybody hits, unless she upgrades one of her vaults. I'm very excited about what the Brazilians can achieve. I might be a bit too optimistic, but I would say that Rebeca Andrade will walk away with at least one gold medal. Last time a Brazilian girl got a gold medal was in 2007, and before that only in 1991.

34 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

On the men's side things are a lot more unpredictable. Jossimar Calvo (Colombia) and Manrique Larduet (Cuba) did not look too hot last year, and there's a chance they have not recovered their best form.

Isn't Jossimar out of the Pan Ams?

3 hours ago, intoronto said:

@thiago_simoes

Do subdivisions make a difference, as in the later the better? For the women, USA/Brazil are in the last one, Canada is in the first of three.

From What I’ve observed it doesn’t really matter (at least going off the Asian and Commonwealth Games), but I could be wrong. I’d be interested to know @thiago_simoes opinion too.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

16 hours ago, intoronto said:

@thiago_simoes

Do subdivisions make a difference, as in the later the better? For the women, USA/Brazil are in the last one, Canada is in the first of three.

They definitely do. Scores in the last subdivision are usually a couple of tenths higher than they should be. In artistic gymnastics no one wants to go first.