website statistics

Totallympics International Song Contest Discussion

Well seems like there is a split in opinion on how the hosting should be awarded. Probably the only solution will be to hold a poll to decide the best option in terms of how the draw will be conducted because there will not be agreement between all parties.

Edited by OlympicIRL

December 2016 - Bidding for 2017 Open is held using a method with increased odds in favor of first timers (2-to-1).

November 7th, 2018 - Bidding process is being publicly discussed in 2018 Open thread. Idea of having increased odds for first timers is adopted with no opposition.

November 19th, 2018 - Increased odds are confirmed in this thread.

November 30th, 2018 - Mexican bidders acknowledge the method at their press-conference.

For all intents and purposes, it is fair. It has been stated numerous times and is recognized by 3 bidders representing both sides. Also it was the relevant option at the moment when bidding door closed yesterday.

I really don't feel like arguing about this anymore. It just can't be the same if someone is hosting for the first or second time, since it's factually not the same thing.

#banbestmen

My five cents - always give priority to the new potential hosts. Yes, the aim is to have properly organized event, but also - learning about new culture through the ceremonies and overall event is something I am looking forward to. I mean, we can always read all these facts nowadays and watch thousands of videos, but let give the honour to the forum user to present the cultural heritage, places and natural beauties on his/her own. 

Okay, so let's get some facts here..... we had agreed upon a process in advance of this bidding process and the reason we did so was exactly for this reason, because there would be potential disagreements about what is fair.

Everyone was invited for their opinion.

We opened up the draw process. 4 nations bid. Bidding was closed.

So at that point, the idea was that we would be playing a random game of luck on this site (not a random draw), in which the first time hosts would be advantaged in favour of previous hosts. Gridlock was the preferred method.

So how did Gridlock work previously?

First time hosts were put into 2 separate heats with 2 spots available for the final in each heat.

Previous hosts were put into another heat with only 1 ticket on offer.

I won't be conducting Gridlock this time because enough people didn't like the idea (even though I was going to do a limited version, because I have hindsight now having after the first and only time it was used before... it was obvious I was never going to make it that long again).

So, I am going to conduct the random draw in a similar way that the previous Gridlock game was conducted.... i.e., previous hosts have to compete against each other and then they have their place in the final as an equal.

So, Mexico and Serbia will enter a random draw. The winner will go into a draw then alongside Algeria and Croatia and the winner will be the host. After this bidding process has been complete, there will be a poll to determine how future hosting rights will be awarded. But for this one, the process was in place and it's unfair to change it.

@dcro @bestmen @DaniSRB @mrv86 do you approve? I am trying to be as fair about this as possible, I would appreciate your co-operation.

Edited by OlympicIRL