website statistics

Men's Road Cycling UCI Giro d'Italia 2019

Totallympics

Yeah that was a dumb move from Viviani :facepalm:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, ChandlerMne said:

How 72 cyclists can finish in winning time? 

Because one group is counted as one 'unit' across the finish line. If not, you'd get some seriously dangerous stuff every single time with every GC rider wanting to be all the way in the front, where there's already 30+ riders fighting for sprint positions, and several people wanting to be in the very same spot at the very same time is something physics solves with death and despair :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Here we go.

Just now, heywoodu said:

Because one group is counted as one 'unit' across the finish line. If not, you'd get some seriously dangerous stuff every single time with every GC rider wanting to be all the way in the front, where there's already 30+ riders fighting for sprint positions, and several people wanting to be in the very same spot at the very same time is something physics solves with death and despair :p 

Thanks!

What do you think about Roglic position right now? I am not a cycling expert but it looks that winning time trial in 1st stage will be sufficient for an overall victory.

Thanks!

What do you think about Roglic position right now? I am not a cycling expert but it looks that winning time trial in 1st stage will be sufficient for an overall victory.

The Giro has yet to start in terms of GC, so a few seconds in hand after one serious stage is in no way enough, at all :p 

Which doesn't change that in my opinion (and in that of pretty much most cycling fans) he was the big favourite and he still is. I don't think much has changed in that (at least for me) with that one stage, it has happened a gazillion times riders who looked steady lost a lot of time in the 3rd week (or the opposite).

On Thursday and (especially) Sunday we'll get a better picture and then on 24 May we'll get going to the real stuff. There's some stuff in between not every rider is gonna like, but probably not enough to make some serious gaps.

Edited by heywoodu

Just now, heywoodu said:

The Giro has yet to start in terms of GC, so a few seconds in hand after one serious stage is in no way enough, at all :p 

Which doesn't change that in my opinion (and in that of pretty much most cycling fans) he was the big favourite and he still is. I don't think much has changed in that (at least for me) with that one stage, it has happened a gazillion times riders who looked steady lost a lot of time in the 3rd week (or the opposite).

On Thursday and (especially) Sunday we'll get a better picture and then on 24 May we'll get going to the real stuff. There's some stuff in between not every rider is gonna like, but probably not enough to make some serious gaps.

Thought so. 

His shape still confuses me. I watch cycling since 1992, i followed all the greatest riders but i have never seen such dominance by anyone of them. He won all 3 tours this year (100% sucess),he is almost invincible in time trials. He almost finished in top 3 in last TDF,he is usually in top 3 in every race he participates in. If tour consists of 10 stages he will be in top 3 at least 6 or 7 times. He is almost invincible. 

I like him from his NC era, but this is real mistery for me. Cant explain this at all.

Thought so. 

His shape still confuses me. I watch cycling since 1992, i followed all the greatest riders but i have never seen such dominance by anyone of them. He won all 3 tours this year (100% sucess),he is almost invincible in time trials. He almost finished in top 3 in last TDF,he is usually in top 3 in every race he participates in. If tour consists of 10 stages he will be in top 3 at least 6 or 7 times. He is almost invincible. 

I like him from his NC era, but this is real mistery for me. Cant explain this at all.

Reminds me of Froome in 2013: won Oman, second in the Tirreno, won the Criterium International, won Romandie, won the Dauphiné and then went on to absolutely shatter everyone in the TDF (two years after his first magic Vuelta appearance at the end of yet another totally useless year) :p 

Just now, heywoodu said:

Reminds me of Froome in 2013: won Oman, second in the Tirreno, won the Criterium International, won Romandie, won the Dauphiné and then went on to absolutely shatter everyone in the TDF (two years after his first magic Vuelta appearance at the end of yet another totally useless year) :p 

Cant explain but i will call those 2 years ( Froome in 2013 and Roglic 2018...) primes of cycling overall. At least in last 2 decades.