website statistics

Men's Road Cycling UCI Giro d'Italia 2019

Totallympics

Stage 6
Cassino > San Giovanni Rotondo

giro-d-italia-2019-stage-6-profile-ff945

The stage is very long. The first 190 km take place on straight and broad fast roads, with a few tunnels along the way, but with no major climbs. The route then changes dramatically: the roads are narrower, and worn out at points. The Coppa Casarinelle climb (30 km before the finish) ascends in hairpins with 5-6% gradients to the Gargano, until 15 km from the finish.
Final kilometres

The roads are undulating and twisting. The route runs uphill until 6 km from the finish, then downhill until -3 km, then further uphill to cross the town and head into the last short descent, from -2 km to the red flag. The home straight (1,200 m) is on 7.5 m wide tarmac, with a 2-3% incline.

Discover the Departure

Cassino

Risultati immagini per cassino abbazia

Cassino is a town in the province of Frosinone, central Italy, at the southern end of the region of Lazio, the last City of the Latin Valley. Cassino is located at the foot of Monte Cairo near the confluence of the Gari and Liri rivers. The city is best known as the site of the Abbey of Montecassino and the Battle of Monte Cassino during World War II, which resulted in huge Allied and German casualties as well as the near total destruction of the town itself. It is also home to the University of Cassino.  

Discover the Arrival

San Giovanni Rotondo

Risultati immagini per san giovanni rotondo

San Giovanni Rotondo is located on the slopes of Calvo Mountain, the highest summit in the promontory, in a valley in the centre of Gargano, at an altitude of 600 metres, 20 km away from Monte Sant’Angelo and 30 km away from Foggia. The small village, in the heart of Gargano National Park, is an important destination for international religious tourism, thanks to the priest Padre Pio from Pietrelcina, who lived and worked here. The most important place of devotion is the crypt of the Convent Santa Maria delle Grazie, which contains his relics and it is a pilgrims’ destination, nowadays kept inside the new complex planned by Renzo Piano.

heywoodu

1. Jos van Emden (35) - 35
2. Elia Viviani (2) - 37
3. Pascal Ackermann (3) - 40
4. Enrico Battaglin (44) - 84
5. Caleb Ewan (4) - 88
6. Diego Ulissi

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Thanks to today's Giro stage I learned about mass rape by Moroccan/French soldiers of civilians around Montecassino, I learned about huge Polish losses there (first time I heard about a significant Polish presence in any battle, so that's cool) and some other wartime stuff. Not a good one, but definitely an interesting history around today's stage.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

I learned about huge Polish losses there (first time I heard about a significant Polish presence in any battle, so that's cool) 

I have no idea if you are being sarcastic or not...

#banbestmen

17 minutes ago, dcro said:

I have no idea if you are being sarcastic or not...

Not really. I might have heard of significant Polish presence throughout 1940-1945, but don't really remember it. There might be some 'oh right, I read about that' things though if I see them.

Edited by heywoodu

Striptease Roglic

Spoiler

FF52572-800x533.jpg