web
analytics
Jump to content

Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

 

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to:

 

  • Post replies and open new threads
  • Give reputation to other members' posts
  • Get your own private messenger
  • Manage your profile

 

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

 

Sign In | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
Totallympics

Wrestling UWW European Championships 2019

Recommended Posts

Well, great success for the freestyle team of Turkey. We were pretty close to winning the teams and as MHSN pointed out it is a rare thing to see Russia in the second place. We just lost with 6 points, but Bölükbaşı would not have been enough anyway. I congratulate the team and the coaches but I wonder why Soner Demirtaş (74kg) was not on the team. He is the last European Champion (after defeating Chamizo in the semi-final). If he had been on the team and won at least a medal, we would have taken the first place.

 

Anyway, good tournament so far. Taha was quite dominant against the Georgian, it is good to see his on his feet strong again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

interesting tournament, 3 golds for Turkey and Azerbaijan each, 2 for Russia. 1 for Armenia and Italy. to me the star of the competition was that Armenian kid Harutyunyan. he is already one of my favorite wrestlers :d only if he improves his non-existent defense he can dominate the world for years.

 

I was waiting for the last match of the competition but it was very one-sided for Akgul. Geno looked in a terrible shape, he barely even made it to the final and final was too easy for Akgul.

 

Azerbaijan was also impressive, they sent almost all of their top wrestlers (maybe just minus Aliyev) to Takhti Cup a month ago and they were not that good, Hassanov and Sharifov lost to average Iranian wrestlers but they were impressive here, specially grandpa Sharifov. if it wasn't for Azarshakib they could even challenge Russia and Turkey for the team title.

 

PS: team title usually doesn't matter much in individual sports but in this sport in wrestling top nations like Russia, Turkey, Iran, USA, Azerbaijan usually care A LOT about it. I even saw sometimes they lose intentionally to hurt their rivals. (I mean beating your opponent in first round but losing in semifinal to eliminate him and not putting him back in repechage) even though in current point system you better go for the gold because now they award much more points for gold and silver.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, merlinsbeard said:

Well, great success for the freestyle team of Turkey. We were pretty close to winning the teams and as MHSN pointed out it is a rare thing to see Russia in the second place. We just lost with 6 points, but Bölükbaşı would not have been enough anyway. I congratulate the team and the coaches but I wonder why Soner Demirtaş (74kg) was not on the team. He is the last European Champion (after defeating Chamizo in the semi-final). If he had been on the team and won at least a medal, we would have taken the first place.

 

Anyway, good tournament so far. Taha was quite dominant against the Georgian, it is good to see his on his feet strong again.

 

yeah that was my mis-calculation, Turkey was needed both 92kg bronze and Khizriev losing the bronze for the title. and we knew Khizriev wasn't losing to Chintoan.

 

both Demirtas and Gor were in Dan Kolov tournament in Bulgaria. both in the same bracket, Gor won the bronze so probably that won him the spot. even though I watched them both against Hosseinkhani, the difference was very small . Demirtas lost narrowly to him by cautions and Gor beat him in last seconds. I would still pick Demirtas but he also isn't in good shape recently. (he lost to the same wrestler Kentchadze in the 2018 Worlds)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MHSN said:

interesting tournament, 3 golds for Turkey and Azerbaijan each, 2 for Russia. 1 for Armenia and Italy. to me the star of the competition was that Armenian kid Harutyunyan. he is already one of my favorite wrestlers :d only if he improves his non-existent defense he can dominate the world for years.

 

I was waiting for the last match of the competition but it was very one-sided for Akgul. Geno looked in a terrible shape, he barely even made it to the final and final was too easy for Akgul.

 

Azerbaijan was also impressive, they sent almost all of their top wrestlers (maybe just minus Aliyev) to Takhti Cup a month ago and they were not that good, Hassanov and Sharifov lost to average Iranian wrestlers but they were impressive here, specially grandpa Sharifov. if it wasn't for Azarshakib they could even challenge Russia and Turkey for the team title.

 

PS: team title usually doesn't matter much in individual sports but in this sport in wrestling top nations like Russia, Turkey, Iran, USA, Azerbaijan usually care A LOT about it. I even saw sometimes they lose intentionally to hurt their rivals. (I mean beating your opponent in first round but losing in semifinal to eliminate him and not putting him back in repechage) even though in current point system you better go for the gold because now they award much more points for gold and silver.

 

I saw Petriashvili yesterday and he almost lost to Khotsianivskyi...I think he's also carrying some kind of injury, he just can't be that bad only because of poor shape...:mumble:

 

and Harutyunyan was like a flash in the dark...one of the most exciting wrestler I saw for quite a while...today's final against Lomtadze left me speechless...

 

for what concerns Frank...well, today he looked in a better shape than yesterday, but I fear he was more Khadjiev being sloppy rather than him being outstanding...

still, 3rd European Gold medal in 3 different weight classes for Frank...and this is definitely a big achievement...I don't think there are many wrestlers with such record...

now let's see how he shows up in Astana, where he has at least to earn his spot for the Olympic Games...and it could be quite complicated if the draw isn't good (I don't think he's going to take part in the next ranking series tournaments and therefore probably he won't be among the top seeded wrestlers at the world champs)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's Medallists Recap

 

men's freestyle, -61kg
Gold: :ARM Arsen Harutyunyan
Silver: :GEO Beka Lomtadze
Bronze: :TUR Recep Topal & :SUI Randy Adrian Vock


men's freestyle, -74kg
Gold: :ITA Frank Chamizo Marquez
Silver: :FRA Zelimkhan Khadjiev
Bronze: :GEO Avtandil Kentchadze & :RUS Timur Bizhoev


men's freestyle, -86kg
Gold: :RUS Vladislav Valiev
Silver: :MDA Piotr Ianulov
Bronze: :BLR Ali Shabanau & :TUR Fatih Erdin


men's freestyle, -92kg
Gold: :AZE Sharif Sharifov
Silver: :POL Zbigniew Mateusz Baranowski
Bronze: :HUN Istvan Vereb & :GEO Irakli Mtsituri


men's freestyle, -125kg
Gold: :TUR Taha Akgul
Silver: :GEO Geno Petriashvili
Bronze: :UKR Oleksandr Khotsianivskyi & :RUS Anzor Khizriev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

women's wrestling, Tomorrow's Gold Medal matches


-50kg: :UKR Oksana Livach vs :BUL Miglena Georgieva Selishka


-55kg: :UKR Iryna Husyak vs :BUL Evelina Georgieva Nikolova


-59kg: :RUS Svetlana Lipatova vs :BUL Bilyana Zhivkova Dudova


-68kg: :CZE Adela Hanzlickova vs :UKR Alla Cherkasova


-76kg: :AUT Martina Kuenz vs :TUR Yasemin Adar

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MHSN said:

PS: team title usually doesn't matter much in individual sports but in this sport in wrestling top nations like Russia, Turkey, Iran, USA, Azerbaijan usually care A LOT about it. I even saw sometimes they lose intentionally to hurt their rivals. (I mean beating your opponent in first round but losing in semifinal to eliminate him and not putting him back in repechage) even though in current point system you better go for the gold because now they award much more points for gold and silver.

In my opinion, there should be a proper team event for a "team title" to have a meaning. :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phelps said:

 

I saw Petriashvili yesterday and he almost lost to Khotsianivskyi...I think he's also carrying some kind of injury, he just can't be that bad only because of poor shape...:mumble:

 

and Harutyunyan was like a flash in the dark...one of the most exciting wrestler I saw for quite a while...today's final against Lomtadze left me speechless...

 

for what concerns Frank...well, today he looked in a better shape than yesterday, but I fear he was more Khadjiev being sloppy rather than him being outstanding...

still, 3rd European Gold medal in 3 different weight classes for Frank...and this is definitely a big achievement...I don't think there are many wrestlers with such record...

now let's see how he shows up in Astana, where he has at least to earn his spot for the Olympic Games...and it could be quite complicated if the draw isn't good (I don't think he's going to take part in the next ranking series tournaments and therefore probably he won't be among the top seeded wrestlers at the world champs)...

 

don't know if he has an injury but if you notice the whole Georgian team was really bad here. even if they won few silver and bronze medals that was mostly because of lucky draw. for example Lomtadze only had to beat Switzerland and Macedonia for the silver medal !! maybe somewhere was wrong in their training program.

 

Chamizo looked very confident in the final. I think only 1 or 2 wrestlers can beat him in the Worlds. but still a very bad draw can happen like last year where Burroughs, him and the Russian were all in the same side. even though I believe (and I have some facts to believe that ) 2018 World Championship wasn't really "random draw" if someone analyzes the brackets he can see some countries were exactly in the same place in the bracket for 3-4 weight classes. hard to believe that was just luck. I hope we have "real draw" in Astana, because this isn't just the World Champs but the Olympic Qualification. and even a 5th place finish matters. and since we have less quota this time (thanks to IOC) there are only 2 more chances left after this and only top 2 can qualify from other tournaments,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quasit said:

In my opinion, there should be a proper team event for a "team title" to have a meaning. :p

 

You mean having a team competition during the tournament ? I don't think so. wrestling was never like that. unlike Judo.

we have a "World Cup" which is for team competition but we never saw all top teams send all of their best wrestlers. usually only the host nation takes it very serious.

 

we have "team title" like that in other sports like Taekwondo and Weightlifting too. but people don't care much about them but in wrestling it was always traditionally important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MHSN said:

I hope we have "real draw" in Astana, because this isn't just the World Champs but the Olympic Qualification. and even a 5th place finish matters. and since we have less quota this time (thanks to IOC) there are only 2 more chances left after this and only top 2 can qualify from other tournaments

 

Unfortunately, Astana is the last place on Earth where an honest draw would take place.

Regarding the European Champs, how would you rate the technical level of competition?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...