website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Your Own Excercise Thread

Agger

That's why a watch is so much better :p (definitely for me, since I don't listen to music anyway while running)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

That's why a watch is so much better :p (definitely for me, since I don't listen to music anyway while running)

Did get a watch some time ago but it had a touch screen that was sensible as hell. A drop of sweat or the slightest touch of my jacket could pause the run (and it vibrates whenever start, pause or stop is pushed). Luckily I got it "for free" (some points I had earned). Strongly considering buying a better one right now.

Right, race day :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Right, race day :p 

Good luck! I heard there’s some stiff competition today.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Right, trained for the half marathon, so ran a half marathon. Actually 22km according to my watch, because just like in my 'test' a month ago I set it to 22km, to make sure even with possible GPS inaccuracy I could reasonably assume I did in fact run a half marathon (21,1km). The goal was 2:12 hours, meaning an average of 6:00/km, and I kept track of it after every kilometer. Only four of them were not faster than 6:00 and with two times 6:07 and two times 6:00 it was rather marginally, they were all in the first 7km as well, after that my rhythm got better.

I managed to slowly but surely increase the pace a little, as the 5km splits show: 30:00, 29:33, 29:11, 28:30 (and the last 2km had an average speed that again was a bit faster). Legs were dying in the last 3-4km, especially the last 2km I had to really grit my teeth and count down the 100 meters. Only in the very last 50 meters or so two steps felt like a major cramp was about to pop up in my calves, but as by miracle it didn't and I could go on until the end in, according to Polar, 2:08.17 hours (and 2:03.25 for the HM distance), so I am very, very much satisfied and proud :cheer: 

PHGUeDe.png

Spoiler

5:55
6:07
6:07
6:00
6:01
5:50
5:52
5:49
5:54
5:47
5:48
5:54
5:42
5:56
5:38
5:31
5:43
5:37
5:26

Edited by heywoodu

1 hour ago, Agger said:

Tomorrow will be race day for me with just below 500 participants. Well. It's a solo race at 5 or 10km. Think I'll go for the 10 if my body doesn't feel too tired.

I'm putting down some money on you to win! Any goals in terms of times or something?

20 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I'm putting down some money on you to win! Any goals in terms of times or something?

Spend that money on something nice instead :p

As I'm on my own, I would guess something like 54 minutes. It will be a test of the differences of the GPS on my phone and my newly purchased watch.

34 minutes ago, Agger said:

Spend that money on something nice instead :p

As I'm on my own, I would guess something like 54 minutes. It will be a test of the differences of the GPS on my phone and my newly purchased watch.

That's a pretty impressive goal (definitely out of my reach, at least for now), good luck :cheer: 

Well. Haven't had a race at 9 before. I did screw up my preparations quite a bit which made me decide that I would go for the 5km instead. According to my phone, my PB on that distance is 22:17. Can't say that I trust that one very much.

On endomondo today's 5km was at 23:00. According to my watch it was 23:31. Guess that shows pretty well that there's a difference. Did make a couple of poor decisions when changing my route which meant a couple of tight turns. May have cost me a few seconds.

But I'm very satisfied. Now it's all about waiting for the results :p