website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Your Own Excercise Thread

Agger

10 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@heywoodu @Agger @Jinzha @justony we should form a “Totallympics” team and do this:https://www.wingsforlifeworldrun.com/en (explanation below) 

I’ve wanted to do it for ever, but I’ve never been prepared. I think I could do it this year (the mobile phone app version), and I’d love to do it as a team. Essentially, what happens is: Everybody in the world starts the race at the same time (no matter where they are). Their is a “chase” car that chases the runners at a pre-set pace. The goal is to go as far as you can before the “catcher” car catches you. At the “flagship” runs a bunch of people (thousands) come together and are chased by a physical car. Everybody else uses the app (which is what I’d be down to do with y’all). There are two options for the “app run”. First, you can go to a smaller version of a “flagship” run where there’s no chase car, but there’s still a tone of people, and you get a bib and what not. The second option is you download the app, and you run (wherever you want with service/data) until the app tells you the car has caught you. I’d love to form team and see how we can do. I’m not sure about price, but from my understanding the app run should be free, or quiet cheap (though this is a fundraiser for spinal injury research, so it’d honestly be rude not to pay a little). 

I ran two times Wings for Life in Ljubljana, my friend (Vid Senica) even won Slovenian race, and for award he went next year to Florida. Sadly Ljubljana was cancelled, if there is no car to chase you, just plain app run is a bit boring and without any meaning. 

20200226_122322[1].jpg

After having to walk for the better part of the last two kilometers during my half marathon debut last year, I can now finally say....I did it! :yikes: I ran a half marathon distance for the first time in my life this morning :cheer: 

To work around the GPS inaccurary of my Polar (I think it shows a bit more than the actual distance) I set it to 22km instead of 21.1km and finished that in a little under 2:20 hours. Nothing too fancy in terms of speed, but my only 'mission' apart from the distance was to keep running relatively easily and just finish the whole thing instead of blowing up my legs. That worked :cheer: 

With this huge confidence booster in the pocket, now it's time to try and add a bit of speed for 4 April :) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Oh well. The corona has now hit my training plans as a race that I was considering in late march has been postponed. Guess that means self-training only :p

Less than 500km left in the plan before I'm on the start line ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

With every run possibly being the last one, I went for my first 15km about 1½ week before originally planned. Felt really great at a pace just about the 2 hour pace feeling that I could even have kept on.

I'm changing my schedule slightly to make room for a two week quarantine or a period of curfew (my 300m to the grocery store won't help much there). If it's more than that, we'll have to see if it works out.

I did 15km as well today :d

Surprisingly it was one of the easier runs I've done, 6:20 pace roughly and I felt like I could have gone another hour if I didn't desperately need to get home due to some stomach trouble :hairpull:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 2 weeks later...

16km today, another nice and pretty relaxed run (a little under 1:40), mostly after I managed to get my heart rate down a good bit after the first few kilometers :cheer: 

I noticed after seven runs in March I'm already at 92.5km and with at least one more to go, I'll actually make or pass 100km in one month, I had never thought that would ever happen :yikes: 

Since Saturday's half marathon in my little town is of course cancelled, which was supposed to be my second ever official one after my somewhat botched debut last year, there's a slight change of plans. I've been training of course and it's going pretty well, so I have more or less decided to go and run a half marathon anyway on Saturday, just on a different, not pre-determined route - I don't live in a city and it's pretty straightforward here to run while making sure you don't get too close to people. Not really a time goal here and I'm just gonna try and take it easy from the start on, but I'm in pretty decent shape so let's do it. Plus Saturday is the last day of Autism Week (which started Saturday the 28th here, for some reason), so that's an excellent goal for me to keep in mind as a way to close the week.

Tl;dr --> Saturday, half marathon.

Edited by heywoodu

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Tl;dr --> Saturday, half marathon.

Good luck!

I have pretty much decided that I'll go for the half marathon the day planned no matter if the big event will take place or not (not too optimistic, but the hope isn't dead), but I do afterall have some months to go. If it's cancelled or postponed, I'll try finding an actual race in the autumn.

Beginning this week with a weekly 15km all of april before starting to find the last kms (may go for a 16 in the end of the month)

Meanwhile I think my phone is trying to test my motivation.

Sunday the music stopped about halfways through my 13km run. Today I was doing a fitness test where I really want to be able to keep track on the minutes. Halfway through the phone decides to restart.