website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Your Own Excercise Thread

Agger

14 June 2020 - Half marathon of Amersfoort, the one where I made my debut this year

The goals are to finish while running from start to finish (this year I did finish, but had to walk mostly after 19km) and to do so under two hours (this year I finished in 2:04.39).

My preparation is pretty straightforward: starting two weeks ago I'm trying to run at my planned half marathon pace or a little faster (around 5:35/kilometer) a kilometer longer every one/two weeks. Did 5 and 6 kilometers, today I managed 7. I've lost a bit of endurance in the past two months or so, hence the starting back at 5. Hitting 10k on that pace before the end of the year would be very good :) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

14 June 2020 - Half marathon of Amersfoort, the one where I made my debut this year

The goals are to finish while running from start to finish (this year I did finish, but had to walk mostly after 19km) and to do so under two hours (this year I finished in 2:04.39).

My preparation is pretty straightforward: starting two weeks ago I'm trying to run at my planned half marathon pace or a little faster (around 5:35/kilometer) a kilometer longer every one/two weeks. Did 5 and 6 kilometers, today I managed 7. I've lost a bit of endurance in the past two months or so, hence the starting back at 5. Hitting 10k on that pace before the end of the year would be very good :) 

Pretty sure that I'll go for Bestseller Half marathon the same day, though I haven't registered yet.

Have been going. Did 5,5 at a 5:05/km pace last week and will be focusing on the 5km with a couple of longer runs during the winter and then making it longer from february. Hoping to be able to do a 2 hour race, but haven't set it as a target yet.

• 1 month later...

With pretty close to no chance of me getting a ticket for the EURO 2020 in Copenhagen I ended up registering for the Bestseller Half Marathon, meaning a perfect match between @heywoodu and and me :p

Keeping a decent 5km shape considering that I've only gotten one run a week for the last month and started slowly going for longer distances with 6,5 today. Will be going for a test in the weekend to see if 10km is possible on 31st (a traditional New Years run). If not, my first target will be a 10km trail run in the end of January

5 minutes ago, Agger said:

With pretty close to no chance of me getting a ticket for the EURO 2020 in Copenhagen I ended up registering for the Bestseller Half Marathon, meaning a perfect match between @heywoodu and and me :p

Keeping a decent 5km shape considering that I've only gotten one run a week for the last month and started slowly going for longer distances with 6,5 today. Will be going for a test in the weekend to see if 10km is possible on 31st (a traditional New Years run). If not, my first target will be a 10km trail run in the end of January

I might try to see if running 100 meters is possible on January 1st. This year it definitely wasn't :banana: 

But awesome, 14 June as well then? I hope Aarhus has live timing as well, all our fans can follow The Race between us then :evil:  This is some great motivation though, it's on!

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

My next 'official' run will be at the Zandvoort circuit at the end of March, a bit over a month before the first Dutch F1 Grand Prix in more than three decades will be held there :p 

My sister is training for it (starting from 0) so we can run the 12k there together, which basically is a lap of the track (awesome!!) and then a lap in the village and 2-3km over the beach (not awesome). It's to collect money for children with heart diseases, so it's easily worth some suffering during training - after all, who are we, both healthy people, to complain when there's 5-year olds dying of a messed up heart?

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

My next 'official' run will be at the Zandvoort circuit at the end of March, a bit over a month before the first Dutch F1 Grand Prix in more than three decades will be held there :p 

My sister is training for it (starting from 0) so we can run the 12k there together, which basically is a lap of the track (awesome!!) and then a lap in the village and 2-3km over the beach (not awesome). It's to collect money for children with heart diseases, so it's easily worth some suffering during training - after all, who are we, both healthy people, to complain when there's 5-year olds dying of a messed up heart?

Nothing worse than running on beach sand. There was a big invitational that I ran in for a few years, and we had to start on beach sand. People slipping left and right, big fails right off the start. It ways always about 45 seconds of absolute mayhem. It was then followed by a nice 20 minute run down a bike path on the beach. Best race in terms of view, and times generally (assuming the beach sand start didn’t kill your race.

I remember during my sophomore(?) year that kid shouted “Do it for Harambe!” at the start of race, and everyone had never been more hyped to run before. I forget what everyone responded with, but I remover laughing for a good portion of that race. Nothing like the junior varsity 5k’s :p. I never ran a single race on the varsity team at my high school or middle school. I ran 10 years as a “b” team runner. If that isn’t dedication, then I don’t know what is. God I miss running with my team.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I might try to see if running 100 meters is possible on January 1st. This year it definitely wasn't :banana: 

But awesome, 14 June as well then? I hope Aarhus has live timing as well, all our fans can follow The Race between us then :evil: 

Haha. Much higher hopes for New Years Eve than January 1st here as well :p

Yup

Intermediate times and if I run with my phone (which isn't unlikely) also a possibility of live tracking

I’m trying to get back into roller speed skating, but it’s been tough to find motivation as of late :(. Right now I’m trying to get into the habit of doing a 2.5k time trial daily, with 4-6 200m sprints on days when that’s not possible. I’d like to get my 6km time under 17:00 as my first goal. Then aim for 15:00-16:00 ultimately. I might start running again, but I’m just not finding the motivation to do anything right now (also why Totallympics Media has been a bit barren as of recent times). 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just registered for my second half marathon: 4 April in my hometown of Nunspeet. Meaning the one in Amersfoort, which I'll once again run together with @brunamoura on 14 June, is going to be my third instead of second one.

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well, just registered for my second half marathon: 4 April in my hometown of Nunspeet. Meaning the one in Amersfoort, which I'll once again run together with @brunamoura on 14 June, is going to be my third instead of second one.

You cheater! ;)

Didn't go for the New Years run today BTW, which felt like the right decision as my 5km yesterday felt way tougher than it should (damn you Christmas food).

Did however manage to do 10k just before christmas, so I guess I'll be ready in time for the 10km race I'm considering (jan 26)